PDA

View Full Version : Backbone Trail-Kisatchie Hills Wilderness-Kisatchie National Forest-Louisiana

blackwater slim
01-19-2015, 10:02
I travel to Natchitoches (Nak-uh-tesh) Louisiana(home of Northwestern State Universty) regularly and knew this trail was close. I left my motel at 6:12 AM yesterday and went down I49 to exit 119, took hwy 119 west to Long Leaf Vista drive to trailhead. The trailhead is on the left as you go north. This is the trailhead for both the Backbone and the Caroline Dorman trails which is a continuous trail combined for about 21 miles. After the 35 or so minute drive and discovering the pit toilet available at the trailhead, I was walking at 7 AM just before sunrise. The backbone trail travels east and north from here (opposite from the Caroline Dorman trail). The soil (sand and gray clay) and the pines are familiar Louisiana. The unique thing about this trail though is the rocks. No cliffs but rocks boiling out of the ground all through these rolling hills. Some nice ups and downs lead to large sandy bottomland with creeks and large pines and hardwoods. I saw a scout troop from Baton Rouge and a couple other parties of backpackers. I saw no horses but did see signs of them having been there. I had only a half day so I hiked pretty fast out until 9 (maybe 5 miles or so one way) and turned around and retraced my steps back to my car quickly and was back by 10:30.
This is a worthy trail that seems to get a lot of use since it is kinda the only game in town.
There is enough trail to put in an overnighter or perhaps a two nighter. It was interesting and worthy of a trip if you are in the area.

louisianajoe
01-23-2015, 08:21
Thanks for the report. I am from Louisiana and will have to check out this trail.

Nodust
01-24-2015, 23:53
I saw a scout troop from Baton Rouge and a couple other parties of backpackers.

Great trail. I remember chatting with you before you crossed the creek.

blackwater slim
01-26-2015, 21:47
I enjoyed the chat as well, Nodust. Louisianajoe, you are only a couple hours drive or so from the trail. Definitely worth that drive.
As always I try to promote the Black Creek Trail in South Mississippi as well. No more than a four hour or so drive from Lafayette. 41 miles one way and through Black Creek Wilderness and has some nice hills and parallels black creek if your looking for a longer trek and not the full days drive to any mountains.
Good Luck and Thanks to Nodust and company for getting the next generation out there.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2015, 00:16
There is a "bluff" on the trail, maybe 50-75 ft high where most camp. Limestone rock outcropping, unique in Louisiana. The indians left it in fine shape for thousands of years. The idiot people today carve their names into the soft rocks . Sad. It all burned 5 or so yrs ago I think.

louisianajoe
01-30-2015, 23:28
Thanks again, I will put it on the to do list. I will look into the black creek trail as well.

Nodust
02-02-2015, 02:14
There is a "bluff" on the trail, maybe 50-75 ft high where most camp. Limestone rock outcropping, unique in Louisiana. The indians left it in fine shape for thousands of years. The idiot people today carve their names into the soft rocks . Sad. It all burned 5 or so yrs ago I think.
The rock carvings by present day natives was disturbing.

Beautiful trail, hope that doesn't continue.

blackwater slim
01-05-2016, 15:07
Had plans for Dec 28-30 to go do the loop trails south of Cheaha along the Pinhoti in Alabama. Weather was terrible. My buddy said "do you know anywhere within 5 hours we could go without the rain?" Just so happens, I did. We headed to the Backbone and Caroline Dorman trail. Left the north end of a Backbone about 11:30 AM on that Monday, spent two nights in a 32 miles or so out and back. A great trip. Weather was overcast but no rain. Temps in the 40's and 50's the whole time. Trail was wet but only on the feet. Crossing the bayou/creek on a log was challenging going in but waded it coming out. I highly recommend this trail.

Nodust
02-17-2017, 12:05
I just hiked the Backbone, Caroline Dorman, and tied them together with about 6 miles of the Sandstone trail.

The Sandstone is a ATV, equestrian, hiking trail so weekends may be loud. Not another person to be seen this week. This makes a 26 mile loop hike. I parked at Kisatchie Bayou campground and hike clockwise. Camped on Backbone trail.