PDA

View Full Version : What's Not Good For You Anymore

Mother Natures Son
01-19-2015, 20:19
According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?

kayak karl
01-19-2015, 20:24
i have never had Ramen noodles on the trail. just a snack with the kids. :)

Slo-go'en
01-19-2015, 20:44
It's not the noodles which are bad for you, it's the seasoning packet. Get rid of that and flavor it with something better - like hot chocolate.

colorado_rob
01-19-2015, 20:49
...We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either...Sez WHO???? Seriously, this is just downright false. Period. Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2015, 20:58
Salt is fine for you as long as you are in general good health. A couple of scientists theorized that it was bad, yet I can't find a single reputable study that actually backs this up.

5 BS Health Myths People Still Believe (Thanks to One Guy)#5. Salt Causes High Blood Pressure
http://www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/5/4/0/356540_v1.jpg
Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty ImagesThe Misconception:
If you ask your parents (or maybe your grandparents, depending on how much of a whippersnapper you happen to be), there was once a time when salt was a glorious thing, enjoyed by the masses in wondrous abandon. If you went out to a nice restaurant, your entree was salt with a side of steak, and your dessert was a pack of unfiltered Camels. It was truly a magical era.

http://www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/5/1/0/356510_v1.jpg
Minerva Studio/iStock/Getty Images
"And a double martini to drink. Diet, please."Then, sometime in the latter part of the 20th century, that all changed. Suddenly, science figured out that salt was a crystalline boogeyman stiffening our arteries and causing our blood pressure to rise to literally vein-popping levels. Dinner would never be the same, and it was all based on some pretty flimsy-ass science.
The Guy You Can Thank for It:
Lewis Dahl. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/)
The suggestion of a possible link between salt and high blood pressure had been floating around since 1904, but the theory didn't really hit the mainstream until the 1970s, when Dahl from Brookhaven National Laboratory announced that he had discovered "unequivocal" evidence that salt caused hypertension. What exactly was said unequivocal evidence? Pretty simple, really: by giving some rats a daily dose of salt, he had induced high blood pressure.

http://www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/5/1/2/356512_v1.jpg
Dmitry Maslov/iStock/Getty Images
His results were called into question when it was discovered the rats had also been participating in online political debates.By 1976, the president of Tufts University, Jean Mayer, was labeling salt "the most dangerous food additive of all." (http://www.esquire.com/the-side/MARIANI/mariani-salt-essay) The U.S. Senate was recommending that Americans reduce the salt in their diets by as much as 85 percent. The New York Times was blaming salt for "high blood pressure, heart and kidney disease, and stroke." Salt apparently wasn't satisfied with some measly high blood pressure -- it had become food evil incarnate, haunting our entire freaking anatomy.
There was just one slight problem. You see, in order to induce high blood pressure in those aforementioned rats, Dahl had pumped them full of ... hang on, let us grab our calculator real quick ... almost 15,000 percent more sodium than the average American's consumption. Countless more recent studies have utterly failed to back up the relationship between salt intake and high blood pressure. Not only that, but it turns out that we actually need salt (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&) to, you know, live. Mothers unnecessarily restricting the salt intake of their young children have even sent them into shock or, holy ****, outright killed them.

http://www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/5/1/4/356514_v1.jpg
Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
"Please, just a Ramen seasoning packet. It can be my birthday and Christmas gift this year."The truth is that science is still trying to figure out what causes high blood pressure -- maybe it is salt for some people, or just certain types of salt. But there's a reason we get a new "stop eating ________!" warning every few years or so -- food science is complicated as ****. It's hard to figure out what problems are caused by diet versus genetics, or any of the billion other environmental factors that can slowly murder you behind your back. And the biggest mistake you can make is to declare one part of your diet to be The Bad Guy and just ignore everything else.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_21926_5-bs-health-myths-people-still-believe-thanks-to-one-guy.html#ixzz3PJorTwir

Odd Man Out
01-19-2015, 21:36
Sez WHO???? Seriously, this is just downright false. Period. Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.

Salt is fine for you as long as you are in general good health. A couple of scientists theorized that it was bad, yet I can't find a single reputable study that actually backs this up.

Both correct. Too much of anything can be bad and this is true for both salt and alcohol. Both will kill you if you consume too much. But in moderate amounts, they are fine. There has been lots of studies that show moderate amounts of alcohol are very good for you. And the bit about red wine is probably a myth. When they look at all the studies, it seems that the key ingredient is in fact the alcohol. Agree too about the salt myth. Not really something to worry about.

RangerZ
01-19-2015, 21:52
Sez WHO???? Seriously, this is just downright false. Period. Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.

Somebody has to say it - "I'll drink to that." 17 January 1920 was the start of Prohibition - I don't remember it for that but to remember that a bad law can be changed - 5 December 1933 it ended.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2015, 21:54
How about Milk? Is milk good or bad for you?

WARNING: LOTS OF BAD LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_JxdE8aHE&sns=em

kayak karl
01-19-2015, 21:57
It's not the noodles which are bad for you, it's the seasoning packet. Get rid of that and flavor it with something better - like hot chocolate. i knew a guy that said all the flavors taste the same. reason was he thought it was a stay-fresh packet and just threw the packet out :)

July
01-19-2015, 22:01
Both correct. Too much of anything can be bad and this is true for both salt and alcohol. Both will kill you if you consume too much. But in moderate amounts, they are fine. There has been lots of studies that show moderate amounts of alcohol are very good for you. And the bit about red wine is probably a myth. When they look at all the studies, it seems that the key ingredient is in fact the alcohol. Agree too about the salt myth. Not really something to worry about.
Yep, also genetic predisposition plays a large role. People's personal opinions are sometimes formed without taking this into account, thinking if it has a negative impact on them, it's that way across the board. Not so, but the old adage "everything within moderation" still holds true.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2015, 22:16
When I was diagnosed with chronic acid reflux, my doctor gave me a list of things I needed to stop consuming, the list was:

Alcohol
Caffeine
Tobacco (fortunately not applicable to me)
Fried food
Spicy food
Chocolate

I looked at the list and told him that he could have saved some time by just handing me a paper that said "Everything you enjoy"

July
01-19-2015, 23:54
When I was diagnosed with chronic acid reflux, my doctor gave me a list of things I needed to stop consuming, the list was:

Alcohol
Caffeine
Fried food
Spicy food
Chocolate

I looked at the list and told him that he could have saved some time by just handing me a paper that said "Everything you enjoy"
Elf, that a hot list for not only reflux, but also sleep apnea.

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 00:03
According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?Actually rice cakes are now bad for you, they'll spike your sugar. Crazy world we live in ain't it.

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 00:05

Alcohol
Caffeine
Fried food
Spicy food
Chocolate

I had 4 outta 6 tonight...gonna be a bad night, have to sleep sittin' up again

...sucks when I fall outta my chair.

July
01-20-2015, 00:32
Are you on that Bud card Socks?

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2015, 00:45
Elf, that a hot list for not only reflux, but also sleep apnea.

Good to know. It took me a while to realize that alcohol made it easy to fall asleep, it wrecked the quality of the sleep I got.

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 01:00
Are you on that Bud card Socks?
I'm not sure what it is...but I'm fairly certain i'm not...anymore.

MuddyWaters
01-20-2015, 01:49
Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.

Sorry, no.
Alcohol is major risk factor for many kinds of cancer. The World Health Organization has stated that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
While it has anecdotal evidence in lowering risk of heart disease in some groups, this is not proven by any study , and is largely quackery. I can attest to many drinkers i know that had heart attacks, some dead. In fact, i would say most everyone i know that had heart disease was a drinker.

The drawbacks far outweigh any minor benefit.

July
01-20-2015, 07:21
I'm not sure what it is...but I'm fairly certain i'm not...anymore.
Yep, federal decriminalization of medical green bud in all states...

July
01-20-2015, 08:27
I had 4 outta 6 tonight...gonna be a bad night, have to sleep sittin' up again

...sucks when I fall outta my chair.

Socks you can always strap yourself in with a piece of rope, if truly dedicated, one can install a five point harness and roll cage on the living room recliner,,,:cool::)

Traveler
01-20-2015, 09:07
According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?

As pointed out, moderation is the cure for all things "not good for you". Drinking too much water can kill you, not drinking enough can kill you.

Hiking 14 miles in July heat and humidity, you will lose a lot of electrolytes (salt in various forms), which have to be replaced. Sodium is a critical component of electrolytes, controlling the amount of water in the body and important to regulate blood volume and maintainng muscle and nerve functions. if you don't replace this salt in your body you can develop serious health issues stemming from hyponatremia (too little sodium) that has among other symptoms headaches, weakness, lethargy, hallucinations, and muscle spasms. So some fast ingestion of sodium can be beneficial through Raman Soup. If, however, you are sedentary, each meal being Raman Soup, you can develop some serious sodium related health problems.

DavidNH
01-20-2015, 09:13
frankly I wouldn't worry about Ramen noodles or even their seasoning packets. What is going to put manythru hikers into an early grave is the chain smoking of cigarettes and the guzzling of beer and harder liquor that they seem keen on doing every chance they get.
they will have no sympathy from me when the s* hits the fan. Y'all deserve what's comin to ya!

Old Grouse
01-20-2015, 12:36
frankly I wouldn't worry about Ramen noodles or even their seasoning packets. What is going to put manythru hikers into an early grave is the chain smoking of cigarettes and the guzzling of beer and harder liquor that they seem keen on doing every chance they get.
they will have no sympathy from me when the s* hits the fan. Y'all deserve what's comin to ya!

And good morning to you too, David!

Odd Man Out
01-20-2015, 13:00
Sorry, no.
Alcohol is major risk factor for many kinds of cancer. The World Health Organization has stated that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
While it has anecdotal evidence in lowering risk of heart disease in some groups, this is not proven by any study , and is largely quackery. I can attest to many drinkers i know that had heart attacks, some dead. In fact, i would say most everyone i know that had heart disease was a drinker.

The drawbacks far outweigh any minor benefit.

Sorry MW, but to say that the lowering of heart disease by 1 drink per day is not proven in any study and largely anecdotal and quackery is a bit of a stretch. First, no scientific study technically "proves" anything - true for cancer research, heart research, any research. The best you can have is a large number of valid, peer reviewed studies that are in agreement, in which case we can be can be confident of the results. As long as the data matches the theory, the theory is valid. There are oodles of valid, reviewed research published in the top medical journals consistent with the heart benefits of 1 drink per day or less.

But then you go on to point out that most everyone you know who has had heart disease was a drinker, which is in fact a completely non-scientific, anecdotal statement that you previously dismissed. While it is true that 1 drink per day is associated with in increased cancer risk, to call it a "major risk factor" is a qualitative statement that is only significant if balanced against the relative heart benefits of 1 drink per day and the relative risk of cancer vs heart disease (and because heart disease is a much greater risk, especially for older people, a small benefit will have a disproportionately greater benefit).

Connie
01-20-2015, 13:19
I know sodium is a "good for me" electrolyte, along with Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium as electrolytes.

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt".

I am not a swimming pool.

;-)

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 13:26
Yep, federal decriminalization of medical green bud in all states...aaaah...Nope, we parted years ago.

Socks you can always strap yourself in with a piece of rope, if truly dedicated, one can install a five point harness and roll cage on the living room recliner,,,:cool::)
prolly end up hangin' me self.

atraildreamer
01-20-2015, 13:39
I know sodium is a "good for me" electrolyte, along with Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium as electrolytes.

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt". I am not a swimming pool.

;-)

When I got out of the hospital a few years ago, the doc warned me that I might feel weak due to low sodium and potassium. I was driving, got weak, and pulled up to a roadside news stand that also sold snacks. I got an apple juice and a bag of potato chips, (both are loaded with potassium). I ate the goodies and ten minutes later I felt wonderful!

Odd Man Out
01-20-2015, 13:40

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt".

I am not a swimming pool.

;-)

The good news is that the chloride of salt has nothing to do with the chlorine in your swimming pool.

Connie
01-20-2015, 13:50
I am on my iPod Touch. I have difficulty getting a smiley. But you did see the winky, right?

Here it is, again. ;-)

runt13
01-20-2015, 14:46
So no margaritas [alcohol and salt]......bummer.

RUNT ''13''

perdidochas
01-20-2015, 14:48

Alcohol in moderation is good for you. Moderate alcohol drinkers (1 drink a day) are healthier than either heavy drinkers or tee-totalers.

perdidochas
01-20-2015, 14:54
The good news is that the chloride of salt has nothing to do with the chlorine in your swimming pool.

Well, it's a stretch to say nothing to do with it. The Chloride in salt contains the same Chlorine that is in the pool. The difference is what it's combined with.

Odd Man Out
01-20-2015, 15:18
Well, it's a stretch to say nothing to do with it. The Chloride in salt contains the same Chlorine that is in the pool. The difference is what it's combined with.

And you could say the water in the pool is rocket fuel but with the atoms arranged differently. True, but pointless.

MikeN
01-20-2015, 15:31
FWIW regarding sodium in your diet and hypertension, from the Mayo Clinic (see risk factor #4) : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

futureatwalker
01-20-2015, 17:14
FWIW regarding sodium in your diet and hypertension, from the Mayo Clinic (see risk factor #4) : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

Thanks for this information from a reliable source.

For a long time I ignored the stuff about salt, but it is true, eating less lowers your blood pressure.

Another perspective to consider is that of a hiker on the trail. Here, you are burning calories like crazy, and I think that some of the equations start to shift a bit.

For example, I am a runner and after a 10-20 mile run, a can of Coke goes down really well. I don't drink the stuff otherwise (too much sugar), and for a sedentary person, too much sugar is problematic.

RangerZ
01-20-2015, 17:49
I am on my iPod Touch. I have difficulty getting a smiley. But you did see the winky, right?

Here it is, again. ;-)

Does anyone else remember Winkys? Better than McD.

Connie
01-20-2015, 17:55
And you could say the water in the pool is rocket fuel but with the atoms arranged differently. True, but pointless.

My favorite quote!

Dogwood
01-20-2015, 18:19
What's Not Good For You Anymore?Aspartame, hydrogenated oil, MSG, and betting against the Patriots.

Odd Man Out
01-21-2015, 01:27
What's Not Good For You Anymore?

Aspartame, hydrogenated oil, MSG, and betting against the Patriots.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I have no clue

rocketsocks
01-21-2015, 01:41

Now see, that right there is funny

q-tip
01-21-2015, 18:18
Nutrition and Nutrition for Hiking are two completely different things. An average hiker will burn 3,500 + calories per day and seriouly deplete basic bodily nutrients. I have studied hiking nutrition for several years and have a number of spread sheets to assist nutrition planning. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Traveler
01-22-2015, 08:20

Aspartame cheats sugar, Hydrogenated oil cheats food decay, MSG cheats flavor, and the Patriots, well they just cheat...... :-?

atraildreamer
01-24-2015, 17:29

Time to let the air out of this thread and deflate the issue! :-? :D :banana

MarkCevoli
01-25-2015, 01:48
women......