PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking in the whites

BritRunner
01-20-2015, 10:16
Wasn't sure where to Ask this..

I was thinking of heading up to the whites in the next few weeks to run/hike around the whites..

How walked in are the trails normally? Are the main routes such as the AT normally passable/walked in?

I don't have snow shoes, but do have crampons and an axe, but am looking at getting some.. are they a necessity up there at the moment?

Also in winter are bears an issue? If I did a long day and was out at night would they be a concern? Would you still put food in the bar boxes if camping out?

Slo-go'en
01-20-2015, 10:53
The trails really suck right now. Ice covered with a little snow. The last storm was rain, followed by freezing rain, followed by a little snow. You sure the heck aren't going to be running on these trails. OTOH, it's a pretty good winter for ice climbing. Yep, you'll need crampons and an ice axe to get up the steep sections of trail since they will be solid ice flows.

Winter hiking in the Whites is primarily peak bagging day hikes from side trails. The AT is rarely used in the winter, except for a few places with direct access to a summit. The bears are hibernating.

BritRunner
01-20-2015, 11:38
The trails really suck right now. Ice covered with a little snow. The last storm was rain, followed by freezing rain, followed by a little snow. You sure the heck aren't going to be running on these trails. OTOH, it's a pretty good winter for ice climbing. Yep, you'll need crampons and an ice axe to get up the steep sections of trail since they will be solid ice flows.

Winter hiking in the Whites is primarily peak bagging day hikes from side trails. The AT is rarely used in the winter, except for a few places with direct access to a summit. The bears are hibernating.

Thanks..

I'm thinking in 3 weeks. Feb 7th/8th weekend looking at the calendar now.

I often run/hike so not bothered about long periods just hiking if conditions dictate... I'll keep an eye on the weather.

We see Bear activities down here (PA) most of the winter so wasn't sure how that changes, I expected bears to be hibernating so was surprised to see signs of them.

rickb
01-20-2015, 12:59
Here is the go to site for trail conditions in the Whites.

Or put out a call to Peakbagger :-)

http://www.vftt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-New-Hampshire&

As for bear, you seldomesee them in the Whites and should count yourself lucky if you do any time of year. It's definitely not NJ or the SNP in Virginia.

BritRunner
01-20-2015, 13:02
Here is the go to site for trail conditions in the Whites.

Or put out a call to Peakbagger :-)

http://www.vftt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-New-Hampshire&

As for bear, you seldomesee them in the Whites and should count yourself lucky if you do any time of year. It's definitely not NJ or the SNP in Virginia.

Thanks, wasn't sure where to post but forgot about that site..

It's in the catskills I've seen or heard the most bears really.. I fancy a few over nighters in the shelters so wasn't sure on the dangers in winter.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2015, 13:09
I sure hope we get a decent snow storm this winter but it doesn't look good. The pattern this year is for sloppy slush storms followed by an arctic blast to freeze it up. I suspect the worst storms will come in March or early April.

peakbagger
01-20-2015, 13:29
You might want to check out VFTT.org. Its the New England hiking forum and NewEnglandTrailConditions.com for trail conditions. Most popular day hike trails are broken out in the whites within 24 hours of a storm, these tend to be day hikes from a trailhead to a summit and back down, possibly via a loop. The AT tends to run along the ridgelines so it may not be broken out unless part of a loop and some stretches like Lafayette to Garfield may not get broken out for a week or longer and will drift in. Many folks don't use snowshoes but on occasion you could be postholing which trashes the trails and is quite a workout. You can rent snowshoes at many locations. Expect you will be carrying them most of the time but when you need them there is no good substitute.

You do need a buy a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide it comes with paper maps and trail descriptions. No need for anything else. Some years when we get normal snowfall, trail signs and even blazes can be underneath the snow and obviously blazes on the rocks are useless. It requires more navigational skills in the winter than summer. The snowpack is lo this year with a lot of hard snow and ice so I expect the signage and blazes are visible but in areas that drift in, they can still be covered.

No bear issues in February. Not many folks camp out in winter as the short days and the extra gear required makes it easier to dayhike. There are a couple of year round backcountry facilities that are available but they still require cold weather gear. Check out AMCs Carter Notch Hut, Zealand Hut and Lonesome Lake hut or RMCs Gray Knob Hut. They all cost money. All four have wood stoves but are only kept at or around freezing around supper and most have bunkhouses with no heat. Generally you can get way with a 20 degree bag but on occasion a -30 degree bag is more appropriate (Carter Notch is rather infamous for cold temps and unheated bunkhouses. There is a hikers hostel in North Conway and Hikers Paradise in Gorham for cheap accommodations but the ski crowds sometime clog up the hostel in Conway.

Few folks carry an Ice Ax, most use microspikes in place of crampons.

The biggest thing to consider is that the weather in the whites is quite active and sometimes only 1 day out of 3 is safe to go out. Many folks read the forecast and drive up only to find that the conditions are worse than predicted. They have already driven up so they decide to go give it a try and get in trouble. Best thing is plan a primary hike and a secondary hike in a sheltered area with a third backup of a book to read. Most folks are far better off coming up late February/ early march when the weather sometimes stabilize.

If you are new to the area an winter hiking stick to the lower summits. I call them peek a boo hikes, hike mostly in the woods and at the last minute come out to view above treeline. There are several clustered around the AMC Highland Center, Webster, Jackson Pierce, Willey, Tom and Field. Add in the Kinsmans, Flume, Liberty, Wildcats, Carters, Moriah, Waumbek, Cabot, Kinmans and proably a few others.

BritRunner
01-20-2015, 13:45
Thanks..

I did the Pemi loop in the summer so got an idea of that side and then bits further out in Maine.. Grafton Notch?

I've crampons and an ice axe and am happy on steep technical terrain.

Map wise I've been using the AMC White mountain guide which is a big map of the area and smaller areas in detail and am a UK ML (UK mountain guiding qualification - but more for general mountain hiking/very easy scramble terrain) so competent with a map and compass.

Part of the issue is getting accommodation cheaply, in the UK in such area's hostels are very common, doesn't seem to be the case here and camping seems out of the question.

I think I'll look to rent snow shoes and get an idea of what I'm after.. living down here its a big expense and I've only used them a few times out in Norway skiing where there was no ski lifts.

rickb
01-20-2015, 19:41
Part of the issue is getting accommodation cheaply, in the UK in such area's hostels are very common, doesn't seem to be the case here and camping seems out of the question.

Ihave only used them a few times- in MA and RI -- but I am already a huge fan of www.airbnb.com

You might want to check them out and then report back to give me some good places to stay. The regular B and B we usually go to is anything but cheap (thanks to the skiers money, I think).

LoneStranger
01-21-2015, 12:47

Camping isn't out of the question You do need proper equipment and skills though. I am probably out there for two nights this coming weekend but I'll be schlepping two types of traction, two pairs of boots, two kg of hot cocoa mix and way more than two sets of long underwear. :)

hikeandbike5
01-22-2015, 04:08
the trails get tracked out very quickly after a storm. there are plenty of people out in the woods in winter.
still, snowshoes and/or crampons are very useful.

BritRunner
01-22-2015, 13:15
Camping isn't out of the question You do need proper equipment and skills though. I am probably out there for two nights this coming weekend but I'll be schlepping two types of traction, two pairs of boots, two kg of hot cocoa mix and way more than two sets of long underwear. :)

At the moment the only bag I have is for 20F so probably not enough, my big winter bag is back in the UK.. I was thinking just sleeping in the shelters.

I'm tempted to head to the adirondacks first and then the whites later on at the moment as its that bit closer for a weekend trip..

Slo-go'en
01-22-2015, 13:53
The ADK's have gotten a lot more snow then we have here in the Whites. You will definitely need snowshoes there. It's also a lot colder over there on average. A 20 degree bag will not cut it if a cold front comes through and it suddenly drops to 10 or 20 below! Shelters don't give you any additional warmth. The best you can hope for is they cut the wind. It's been dropping into the low single digits here in the Whites regularly, but it has warmed up to 35 today, maybe this is our January thaw. It usually gets good and cold again for early February.

Feral Bill
01-22-2015, 13:59
In either the Adirondaks or Whites winter camping is serious business. Think -30 F or colder. Have sleeping gear and footwear to match. The Hi Peaks region of the Adirondaks, hiking in from Heart Lake has plenty of people, which might be a good thing for you at this time. Have fun. Be safe.

BritRunner
01-22-2015, 15:48
In either the Adirondaks or Whites winter camping is serious business. Think -30 F or colder. Have sleeping gear and footwear to match. The Hi Peaks region of the Adirondaks, hiking in from Heart Lake has plenty of people, which might be a good thing for you at this time. Have fun. Be safe.

Thanks, booked accommodation in the adirondacks, the National Sports Centre is on Airbnb, $35 a night for a private room.. good deal.

Skiing in vermont the week after and have a few races then but should get up to the whites in March, possibly Spring Break..