PDA

View Full Version : flying with a pack

squeezebox
01-20-2015, 13:01
I'm familiar with the idea of putting your pack in a duffle and flying it that way. I've had this duffle a long time, I'ld hate to lose it, but shipping it home is more than it's worth. So what about putting my pack in one of those heavy duty contractor's trash bags, maybe 2 layers, cheap, easy, no straps flopping around.
Your thoughts, experience??

colorado_rob
01-20-2015, 13:08
I've done exactly that. I've also wrapped the pack in that plastic-wrap stuff. And I've use a large throw-away box. And a duffle, mailed home from destination. It all works. Pick one!

johnnybgood
01-20-2015, 13:28
I used my pack (frameless) as a carry on w/o issue through Delta. I called them ahead of time and explained about my pack , ...not a problem. Same goes for my trekking poles I stowed away in my checked luggage.

Traveler
01-20-2015, 14:13
Be careful if you wrap up your pack in anything and check it for your trip. If TSA has to get into it, they will open it however they can, which may damage the covering and/or allow things to fall off during the trip. There are backpack anti-theft devices you can get at some retailer, though expensive, you can get them with the TSA key to avoid that problem.

Several of the major airlines have modified their carryon size requirements, making them smaller as of December. Packs that don't fit may be sent to the hold for the duration of the trip (including plane changes). Shipping the pack via UPS/FedEx might be a consideration at between $30 and $50 for 30lbs or so of gear. That typically ensures the gear is where you need it to be when you need it there and removes a lot of the chances of carry on.

johnnybgood
01-20-2015, 14:58
Be careful if you wrap up your pack in anything and check it for your trip. If TSA has to get into it, they will open it however they can, which may damage the covering and/or allow things to fall off during the trip. There are backpack anti-theft devices you can get at some retailer, though expensive, you can get them with the TSA key to avoid that problem.

Several of the major airlines have modified their carryon size requirements, making them smaller as of December. Packs that don't fit may be sent to the hold for the duration of the trip (including plane changes). Shipping the pack via UPS/FedEx might be a consideration at between $30 and $50 for 30lbs or so of gear. That typically ensures the gear is where you need it to be when you need it there and removes a lot of the chances of carry on.

Delta's carry-on cubby was 21'' long × 14 " high this past summer. Come December it supposely was getting even smaller.

My frameless pack ,52liter loaded needed a bit of needling my me to ensure the flap would close. Lucky I took only what I needed and nothing I couldn't buy pre- hike. When you go through screening w/o liquids,combustibles ,sharps you eliminate alot that TSA agents can take issue with. Still they opened the pack and rifled through the contents. Oh well...I was happy they were cool with everything

jdc5294
01-20-2015, 15:25
I'm pretty sure you could find a duffel bag large enough at a place like WalMart for like $10.

colorado_rob
01-20-2015, 15:29
I'm pretty sure you could find a duffel bag large enough at a place like WalMart for like $10.Or a cardboard box at Home Depot for 2 bucks. This works.

StarMan
01-21-2015, 00:52
As Colorado Rob said, "a cardboard box" cheap and can be folded flat and left in or behind a garbage can at the arriving airport. Most airlines have a 62" (height + width + length) rule with a max weight of 50 pounds. Supper easy to find a free or cheap shipping box that size. Lived in Hawaii for a few years. Us "Locals" when visiting the "Mainland" would bring back supplies by the box load. Pretty cheap shipping of 50 Pounds for $25 bucks. I always ship my pack and poles this way. Just pay close attention to the stove and battery rules on the TSA site. I have considered shipping my pack and poles via UPS when a Friendly hotel or friend is at the arriving city?!?!?! Keep it simple......

Praha4
01-21-2015, 00:55
Cheaper and easier and more durable is go buy a fabric laundry bag at Target, Walmart or the Dollar Store. Throw it away when you get to your destination. A plastic trash bag can easily get torn up by baggage handlers.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2015, 01:03
Cheapest i can find last year was almost $20 + tax and i have a small pack. Things arent as cheap as they were a few yrs ago, and even walmart has upgraded the kind of crap they carry

I would hit a few thrift stores for a few weeks and pick up some $5 used item.

shakey_snake
01-21-2015, 01:49
Ask for a stroller bag at the check in counter. On most airlines they are free.

Toon
01-21-2015, 01:57
I always mailed everything I could with a tracking number and insurance then just carried the rest on the plane.

squeezebox
01-21-2015, 06:43
So what are the TSA battery rules? Any issue with bic lighters? The laundry bag sounds like the best way to me.

Rocket Jones
01-21-2015, 08:13
Any time I have to deal with special rules for particular items for the TSA, I go to their website, print them out and carry them with me. I also expect to lose the item because the rules mean exactly what the inspector on-scene interprets them to mean. You can't argue with them, and there's no expectation of consistency.

Seatbelt
01-21-2015, 10:01
[QUOTE=squeezebox;1939251]So what are the TSA battery rules? Any issue with bic lighters? /QUOTE]
Why risk it? You can buy a bic lighter anywhere after you arrive. Anytime I have flown with a pack, I just strapped it on my back and walked right on thru--no problems--They never checked anything after it went thru the scanner either. Maybe just lucky.

Traveler
01-21-2015, 10:04
So what are the TSA battery rules? Any issue with bic lighters? The laundry bag sounds like the best way to me.

The TSA still bans lithium batteries in checked baggage but has removed the ban on lighters in carry on and checked baggage, BUT, not all TSA security stations interpret rules similarly. For what its worth I use the "if there is a doubt, there is no doubt" rule in air travel. If I have a doubt something will get bounced by TSA, I don't bring it and either ship it ahead of me or get it on arrival (depending on cost and ease of finding it). Arguing rules with TSA is not likely to gain you passage with the item and will be more likely to cause you to miss the flight and other consequences of being in their data base.

RobUgly
01-21-2015, 10:14
I’ve check my backpack both times I went abroad to hike. (*no lighter, or stove fuel ) Upon entering back into the US. TSA went completely through it. I never boxed it or duffel bagged it, figuring it wouldn’t matter anyways. The only thing I did, was use masking tape on the straps so they wouldn’t flop around. If you can get you pack onto the carry on, I recommend that you do.
TSA employees are not the most honest and sincere of individuals

mankind117
01-21-2015, 10:22
After my trip this summer to glacier when my pack ended up in spokane, not missoula where I was flying into resulting in an extra drive to spokane to get it since it was going to take them 2 days to get it back to missoula I would ship the damn thing if I did it again. The hotel we stayed at in missoula accepted packages and would have held it and I could have shipped it there for the same price frontier charged in baggage fees.

Seatbelt
01-21-2015, 10:49
How much do you value your pack, bag, clothes, etc?? Why leave it in the care of others? Take it on board with you.

QiWiz
01-21-2015, 11:40
Pack less in a smaller pack and just carry it on - I do this every time. Can't lose it, no risk of damage, no delays.

TurboPants
01-22-2015, 12:12
This is probably a stupid question, but assuming someone is flying down south to start the trail, where do you ship your gear to so you can pick it up? I can only assume most fly into Atlanta so do you folks send your essentials to a hostel near the southern terminus? I've not done a thru so I guess I felt I needed to ask.

Traveler
01-22-2015, 12:40
This is probably a stupid question, but assuming someone is flying down south to start the trail, where do you ship your gear to so you can pick it up? I can only assume most fly into Atlanta so do you folks send your essentials to a hostel near the southern terminus? I've not done a thru so I guess I felt I needed to ask.

You can ship it ahead of you to a hotel, hostel, or B&B you will be at on arrival. You can also ship it to a convenient UPS or FedEx store for them to hold for your arrival (call and set up that service). Shuttle services in the area may provide the "Catch and Carry" service for you, but I don't have any specifics.