PDA

View Full Version : hiking ice traction

Glacier
01-20-2015, 14:06
I'm looking to upgrade my winter traction. I currently have yak-trax pro. They suck. I will be using them for hiking/backpacking at average elevation...not mountaineering or ice climbing (if only wisconsin had mountains). I have looked at the Kahtoola micro spikes but I don't like the rubber that you have to stretch around your boot. They seem like a pain for off and on in cold weather. Any suggestions? Do you think crampons are overkill?

Traveler
01-20-2015, 14:33
Crampons would be overkill. For what its worth, I wear microspikes routinely here in Southern New England and rarely if ever need crampons even climbing trails in mid winter. Crampons are better suited for technical climbing and can be difficult to use just for hiking modest slopes to flat ground. They can snag on pant legs, being pretty long the edges can scuff or grab on rock tops or logs and cause you to stumble, etc.

The microspike's elastic isn't bad to deal with once you have done it a few times and the spikes have a solid bite on ice and snow (don't use them on steep smooth rock if you can help it). Another type of traction device is made by Stabilicer that come in different types, most of them use the same elastic shoe. None of them work well for me (including Yak Tracs that fall apart pretty fast for me), which is why I favor the microspikes. My guess is in WI, these would perform well for you and you'll never look back once you figure them out.

Good luck!

Another Kevin
01-20-2015, 14:33
I live in Microspikes in winter. You're right that Ŭaktrax are nearly worthless. The silicone keeps its stretch even in cold weather. Since I do the occasional winter peak bagging expedition, I also own ascent snowshoes, full crampons and ice axe. But I hike Up North. They'd be overkill for the vast majority of A-T hikers. In Wisconsin, you'd be fine with 'rolling terrain' snowshoes and poles, and crampons would be ridiculous overkill.

Just the opinion of a weekender. The Real Hikers might not agree.

Glacier
01-20-2015, 14:57
I live in Microspikes in winter. You're right that Ŭaktrax are nearly worthless. The silicone keeps its stretch even in cold weather. Since I do the occasional winter peak bagging expedition, I also own ascent snowshoes, full crampons and ice axe. But I hike Up North. They'd be overkill for the vast majority of A-T hikers. In Wisconsin, you'd be fine with 'rolling terrain' snowshoes and poles, and crampons would be ridiculous overkill.

Just the opinion of a weekender. The Real Hikers might not agree.

I do own and love snowshoeing but there isn't enough snow on the ground currently. We've been having freeze thaw cycles making things really slick. Have you noticed any wear or damage to your boots when the chains from the micro spikes wrap around the sole?

Traveler
01-20-2015, 15:07
I do own and love snowshoeing but there isn't enough snow on the ground currently. We've been having freeze thaw cycles making things really slick. Have you noticed any wear or damage to your boots when the chains from the micro spikes wrap around the sole?

We are having identical weather circumstances in New England, so I feel that pain. I cast longing looks at the snowshoes these days, but theres just nothing to use them on.

The only wear I have ever noticed with micro spikes are on the spikes themselves. They can wear down over a season (or two) if you are on ice mixed with barren ground or rock. The support chains themselves can scuff up a bit. I have not noticed wear on my boot (Asolo TPS 520's) soles. I tend to these boots pretty well and frequently, so I would have noticed any accelerated wear pretty quickly. I typically get about 1,300 to 1,500 miles out of these boots (on my third pair) so if there is wear, I can't see it and its pretty minor.

Glacier
01-20-2015, 15:10
Well I guess the next question is...kahtoola or hillsound. I like that the hillsound has the strap on top

Traveler
01-20-2015, 15:20
Well I guess the next question is...kahtoola or hillsound. I like that the hillsound has the strap on top

I have used both, frankly I prefer the Katoola's. For me they go on and off more easily than the Hillsounds, especially when I have to take them off/on on the trail in changing conditions when I am snowshoeing. The new Katoolas now have a second set of spikes at the heel, correcting a weak spot in the traction profile.

Glacier
01-20-2015, 15:40
Good to know...as the heel spikes were another concern

Another Kevin
01-20-2015, 15:46

Not really. A lot of the time, I wind up 'dry tooling' on mixed ice and rock, and that wears the spikes themselves. But I haven't noticed the chains wearing on the boots. (An aside: if you go with crampons in the East, you need steel ones. Our hard ice and mixed conditions EAT aluminium ones.)

Glacier
01-20-2015, 16:09
Yes steel for sure

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 16:51
I to have been a bit skeptical of the rubber that comprises the micro spikes, what be done is added to my pack some extra cordage to fasten a rope harness if you will in the event of failure. He level of your knot tying ability will determine the cleanses of the job. I like my katoohlas.

rocketsocks
01-20-2015, 16:52
Sausage fingers

Malto
01-20-2015, 19:37
I have hundreds of miles on my microspikes and have seen no damage to shoes. I have one small tear in a place in the rubber but these things have gone through an awful lot of abuse. There are two watchouts. First the straps on the toe of your shoes can collect snow and cause a snowball to form under the mesh. I have had this happen with LaSportiva wildcats and Cascadias. The second issue can occur when doing long side traverses. I found that the spikes want to rotate at times on the shoe. Sorta of pain but not a show stopper by any means.

Mountain Bluebird
01-20-2015, 20:12
I walk every day on snow/ice on a private road, walking my dogs--about a mile each day. I feel perfectly secure in my IceTrekkers. At 69 year old, I can't be taking tumbles. Got 'em at REI. If I go NOBO in late winter/early spring (final plans still in preparation), I will take them. Wear them. Here's a link:
http://www.rei.com/product/806475/kako-icetrekkers-diamond-grip-traction-system

joshuasdad
01-20-2015, 22:25
Kahtoolas are also great for fording streams. In Maine I used them in combination with aquashoes to keep my boots/socks dry. In New Hampshire they are a lifesaver on some of the wet downhills. I sometimes just carry one of the two spikes for that purpose. Being useful in snow is actually just a bonus.

Glacier
01-22-2015, 09:46
Kahtoola microspikes ordered!

ATAdam
01-22-2015, 09:56
Microspikes are the best, good choice. I've got a few hundred miles on my original ones. Bought them when they released, some of the teeth are bent and one of the strap is about to break, but I haven't even opened the red ones I got in case the originals break.

They are outstanding.

Just Bill
01-22-2015, 10:37
Kahtoola microspikes ordered!

Guess you'll find out for yourself now- but watching Malto and Laz swap them on and off at Harriman I wouldn't worry about the rubber failing to work or being a problem at all.
Both wore trail runners- if you are slogging in heavy boots you might need to keep that in mind and size up if you are fighting them.
For as little as I have a need for them I tried the Yak-Trak's- they didn't make it one day. It's rare to find such a truly crappy product, but that is one of them, lol.

Another Kevin
01-23-2015, 14:52
Guess you'll find out for yourself now- but watching Malto and Laz swap them on and off at Harriman I wouldn't worry about the rubber failing to work or being a problem at all.
Both wore trail runners- if you are slogging in heavy boots you might need to keep that in mind and size up if you are fighting them.
For as little as I have a need for them I tried the Yak-Trak's- they didn't make it one day. It's rare to find such a truly crappy product, but that is one of them, lol.

I think I swapped them in and out once or twice in fronr of you, too. They work pretty easy.

They run big, and the silicone stays flexible even in the cold, it's not like latex. I fight with mine a little getting them on over pac boots, but they stretch just fine for both trail runners and hiking boots.

When Kahtoola posts the size range (shoes vs boots), ordinary hiking boots fall under 'shoes'. By 'boots' they mean pac boots, Mickey Mouse boots, or double mountaineering boots. Size accordingly. If you're at the border between sizes, you probably need the size down.

peakbagger
01-23-2015, 17:23
I have both the Kahtoolas and Hillisounds and am out most weekends in the whites. My go to winter pair are the Hillsounds, the Velcro strap keeps them snug up against the boot. The mini spike plates work much better on clear ice than the Kahtoolas . The weight on you heel and ball of foot keep the spikes straight down while the Kahtoola bars tend to roll. I inadvertently did a Washington Jefferson loop in the winter up ammonusuc and down jewell on winters day (when I left my crampons on the table) with the Hiilsounds. I would not have been able to do it with Kahtoolas as they are not so good on clear solid ice. I usually use the Kahtoolas in early winter and spring. The tend to be slightly less prone to "balling" and if they are a bit easier on mixed rock and snow. Sometime the mini spikes on the Hillsounds feel like chalk on blackboard whne walking on rocks. There is no comparison with any Yak Trax product I have seen, they are both far superior.

You would be surprised the number of times folks step out of Kahtoolas while walking down the trail and sometimes they don't notice it for awhile. Its a PITA to have to go looking for one. The key with either is get the right size. The rubber needs to be up over the rand of the boot, if the rubber is even with the edge of the sole of the boot it will get cut far more often. If they are too large and the chains hang down, they are more prone to stepping out and I think building up balls of snow. The Hillsounds have welded loops while the Kahtoolas have bent loops. I had a set of spare straps for Hillsounds and use them on my Kahtoolas. I would suggest making a strap if you don't have one. The rubber seems to survive just as well with either brand. Both seem to have good factory service. Both have at least 30 or 40 winter hikes on them and beyond some dull edges, they are in good shape.

The other observation is that many folks lose them off their packs when they are hiking. Make sure when you take them off that they are securely stored. If you want to hang them loose use a mini biner. I have rubberized bag for my Hillsounds and it goes in tight pocket when I am not using them.

There are some Chinese lookalikes that s**k, the rubber cuts quickly and the loops open up . Don't waste your money.

Glacier
01-23-2015, 22:20
Thanks for the info. I did order from rei so if size or traction is off I'll switch to the hillsound. I use a locking gate biner for hanging on my pack.

Glacier
01-25-2015, 20:16
Nope. To small. The heel spikes end up under my arch...even after trying to cheat them back. Looks like a trip to REI.

tuswm
03-01-2015, 20:47
google instep crampons