PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop (for kids)

Fyrestorm
01-20-2015, 20:39
Looking for some advice concerning this loop in NC. My family and I are relatively new to hiking. We've done some overnighters but want to make this our first multi day hike in the Appalachians. I was thinking of taking 4 days due to the fact we have a 6 and 10 year old with us. They also have done some hiking but in Florida. (its flat) Thinking 6ish miles a day, so 4 days and 3 nights. Anyone have any experience on this trail? Any advice? Thanks!

eagleJ
01-20-2015, 21:30
Should be fine, but definitely not flat. There are several cutoff trails if needed. I would probably do it SOBO the climbing would be easier, there is a trail to the AT from the backpacker parking area and a blue blaze trail around Mt Albert if needed.

bigcranky
01-20-2015, 21:33
We did it in three days when our daughter was 9. It's a nice hike. Some good climbs, nice views if the weather cooperates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joshuasdad
01-20-2015, 22:15
I did this last year. SOBO is a good choice if you park at the Backpacker's lot, since Kimsey (sp?) Creek trail is aptly named, and I would rather have wet boots at the end of a hike. Also, NOBO up Standing Indian would be quite a slog for the young ones, since you need to climb Kimsey Creek trail first.

Bring a good map so you know the bailouts, and have fun!

HooKooDooKu
01-21-2015, 00:34
While I can not give you advice on this specific trail, I can try to give advice based on my experience taking my boys on weekend trips in the Smokies...

While your milage may vary... expect to only average about 1 mile per hour with a 6yo.
Obviously, a 6yo is going to be a bit slower because of shorter legs and inexperience. But things like rough terrain, mud puddles, and downed trees will slow them down much more than an adult.

Regardless of age, I would limit any trip with a relatively new hiker to 5 - 8 miles per day. But since you're travelling with a 6yo, until you get a chance to assess their abilities, I would limit that to 5 - 6 miles per day. After all, at 1mph, you have to plan your day more like a 12 mile hike with adults.

Make sure to watch the time your first day or so. Depending upon the time of year and an over-all average hiking speed of 1mph, you may find that you barely have enough daylight to wake up, eat breakfast, break camp, hike 3 miles, eat lunch, hike 3 miles, make camp, cook dinner, and get ready for bed.

daddytwosticks
01-21-2015, 08:23
North or southbound, Albert Mountain may be a challenge for a six year old. I agree about southbound so your boots get wet at the end going down Kimsey Creek Trail. However, Long Branch Trail has some wet spots/crossings also. This loop is my favorite part of the AT. :) :)

Fyrestorm
01-21-2015, 14:25
Appreciate the insight so far. Just want to make this fun for the kids so they won't fight us every time we plan another. Haha. Good advice here and I'll definitely take it. Thanks again everyone.

Fyrestorm
01-21-2015, 14:32
Joshuasdad, any advice on where to get that good map? I've googled with limited success

SteelCut
01-21-2015, 14:35
I don't have it in front of me but I think that this one covers that area and show alternative trails.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156695312X/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fyrestorm
01-21-2015, 20:07
Thanks Steel, I check it out

golfjhm
01-24-2015, 23:24
You can bypass the ultra steep part of Albert Mtn going either way by using the FS road to/from bear pen gap (to near old big spring shelter area). You can walk up for the view without packs on the north side very quickly and easily. Would definitely recommend SOBO on direction using long branch trail to get up to the AT. Need to plan campsites around water (you will be on a ridge and not walking along creeks). There is water (that was running after a rain in Oct) at long branch shelter, just shy of mooney gap, Betty creek gap, carter gap, justprior to beech gap, at beach gap and then at standing indian Mtn. I did the modified loop using lower ridge trail to get down the hill (a pretty steep descent). There aren't exactly abundant campsites along the AT except at the hotspots long branch, Betty creek, carter, beech and SIM. It won't be guaranteed you can just stop and set up camp at mile six. You are likely to be in a rhododendron tunnel. Not trying to scare you out of doing it - just underscoring planning will be key (especially with kids). Hope it goes well.

Fyrestorm
01-25-2015, 10:24
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/9d324a4b1860b39e7bd1650df9b5dd2b.jpg

So SOBO hit the trail (36A) just after Big Spring Shelter then take FS road to Bearpen Gap? That will bypass Albert Mtn and make it easier for the little ones? Thanks for the info.

golfjhm
01-25-2015, 17:17
Yep - it isn't too far to the top of Albert from the fork. If clear definitely worth dropping packs and checking out the fire tower on Albert. You will see white blazes on your left while walking on the FS road and that will signal to get back on the AT.

golfjhm
01-25-2015, 23:54
Also note big spring shelter has been removed to rehab the site. There are no camping signs at the former site. It is still on maps but is completely removed.

Fyrestorm
01-26-2015, 14:19
Golf, thanks again for all the info. Making this easier to prepare. Were shooting for June 6-9 for this trip. Looking forward to it!