PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike springer-Unicoi Gap

Cotton Terry
01-20-2015, 21:56
I'm looking forward to a May section hike between Springer and Unicoi Gap. I'll be carrying everything on my gear list for my 2016 thru hike. This will give me a chance to try my gear as well as see this section in bloom. I plan to be on the trail about 5 days and may just park my truck at Springer and shuttle to Unicoi Gap and hike back.

No question, really, I just wanted to tell someone.

MkBibble
01-20-2015, 22:01
That should be an incredible walk. Enjoy!

Turtle-2013
01-20-2015, 22:03
I'm hiking Springer to Dick's Creek Gap in April ... by the time I make it to Georgia from Spring I will have sectioned hiked over 50% of the AT ... I wish you the best of luck on your "shake-down" trip!!!

Praha4
01-20-2015, 23:39
Nice time to hike north GA, the largest part of the NoBo thru bubble will be gone by then. One of my favorite parts of the AT in north GA is that Raven Cliffs section, where you can see Mt. Yonah off in the distance.

Cotton Terry
01-21-2015, 00:13
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Things are not going well at work and I've been a hair away from telling the boss that I'm going to take a hike and start my thru hike a year early. You never know....

Toon
01-21-2015, 01:09
I started may 18th in 2012. It was extremely wet. I eventually gave up on rain gear because it was so warm. Have a good trip.

Lumberjack2003
01-21-2015, 13:29
I'm going to do the approach trail to Haiwassee starting the last week in April. I didn't do the approach when I did my thru hike.

Cotton Terry
01-21-2015, 14:03
Update: I've requested vacation for the week of May 18th (Memorial Day is the following week). So, the plan is to drive to Amicalola Falls State Park from Wisconsin on Saturday, the 16th, and hit the approach trail Sunday morning. Hopefully, I'll be off the trail before the Memorial Weekend crowd spools up. My wife will drive down with me and then visit a good friend in Atlanta while I'm hiking.

Toon, I guess this will give me a chance to test my foul weather gear and practice setting up my tent in the rain. :-D

SteelCut
01-21-2015, 14:24
Toon, I guess this will give me a chance to test my foul weather gear and practice setting up my tent in the rain. :-D

My suggestion is to test this at home before your trip.

Cotton Terry
01-21-2015, 14:31
My suggestion is to test this at home before your trip.

SteelCut, agreed and I've been testing it here in Wisconsin on the Ice Age Trail, but that isn't the mountains of Georgia. But, good advice and point well taken.

SteelCut
01-21-2015, 14:38
SteelCut, agreed and I've been testing it here in Wisconsin on the Ice Age Trail, but that isn't the mountains of Georgia. But, good advice and point well taken.

That's great to hear! Practicing at home and short shake down hikes will pay off.