PDA

View Full Version : Trail magic

squeezebox
01-21-2015, 09:06
I agree with AWOL that the real trail magic folks are the ones doing trail maintenance. When I really think about it I'ld rather have a mile of clean trail, chopped out roots, brush cut back etc. than a big greasy cheese burger. My immediate satisfaction goes for the burger, but if I think for a minute I want a clean trail. During the dry season a bunch of water at road crossings is a big deal. So in my humble opinion a clean trail is the best trail magic, and water in the dry season.

peakbagger
01-21-2015, 09:25
I tend to agree, many of the organized trail magic events down south gives me the distinct impression that the folks running them are doing it mostly for their entertainment. Sort of equivalent to hiking through the zoo in NY where it becomes obvious that thruhikers are a walking exhibit for the folks from the city. With respect to water in the dry season, its nice when you find it but I would rather know what sources are running and what ones aren't in trail register rather than depending on a water supply that may or may not be there.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2015, 09:32
feeds are not "trail magic"

rocketsocks
01-21-2015, 09:39
feeds is feeds...trail magic just happens, that's why it's magic. Poof 29650like dat. Comes outta no where.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2015, 09:46
I once got turned around near Dennytown road in NY where there are several car campground sites as well as an A.T. hikers site (might not be there any longer). Well we were exhausted couldn't figure out where the A.T. Site was among all of the roudy drunks that were car camping.

Then, right as we were getting frustrated, we walked past one of sites to find it was occupied by the employee of my local outfitter had helped me when I bought all of my gear from them. He offered us space, food and drink.

That was real trail magic.

RED-DOG
01-21-2015, 09:59
I agree with lone wolf Hiker feeds are not trail magic a nice clean trail IS the best kind of trail magic.

I think that when folks are on a long distance hike they get used to the big hiker feeds and the ice chest full of goodies at the road crossings so their for they expect it to be their, thats when the Thru-Hiker Entitlement Syndrome comes into play, they feel that they deserve these things and they think they should be treated in a certain manner in estabishments. i term the phrase THRU-HIKER SELFISHNESS thats all it is.

Starchild
01-21-2015, 10:35
I agree with lone wolf Hiker feeds are not trail magic a nice clean trail IS the best kind of trail magic.

I think that when folks are on a long distance hike they get used to the big hiker feeds and the ice chest full of goodies at the road crossings so their for they expect it to be their, thats when the Thru-Hiker Entitlement Syndrome comes into play, they feel that they deserve these things and they think they should be treated in a certain manner in estabishments. i term the phrase THRU-HIKER SELFISHNESS thats all it is.

Counterpoint: Receiving what is freely given just because of who you are and what you are doing is a wonderful experience for giver and receiver and hopefully would spread this kindness outside the AT. Refusing to receive blocks the good will, the one who wishes to freely give and that is selfishness.

The AT is one of the few places in the world where one can go personally and without a organization and give so freely of themselves and their hearts to such appreciative people willing to receive.

Mags
01-21-2015, 12:49
I don't call this trail magic...they are Hiker Aid Stations.

Trail Magic was originally spontaneous and unexpected.

Now, they are planned stop salong the trail to serve many people in a day and looks like something you'd see in an organized run.

A hiker aid station from the AT. Originally from BPL:

http://images.travelpod.com/users/robconr/8.1272213910.trail-magic.jpg

A runner's aid station:

http://hardrock100.com/images/hardrock-aid-stations.jpg

I am not questioning the motive..but it is far beyond trail magic at this point. The PCT is having a similar type of debate in terms of unattended water caches.

http://cdn.pcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Trail-Magic-18.jpg

http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/PCT-Soda-and-Water-Cache.jpg

It is what it is..but I'd have a hard time calling it Trail Magic.