PDA

View Full Version : butter tub

squeezebox
01-21-2015, 09:54
Yesterday I found a really good plastic storage container for butter, it has a rubber gasket on the seal. And these serious clip locks on each side. No chance of leaking. Empty wt. 2 oz. size 4x4x2. It will hold 3 sticks of butter. Enough for a big dollop in oatmeal and grits and other stuff. The extra fat calories will be good.

Hot Flash
01-21-2015, 10:09
Why not just carry butter in a ziploc?

WingedMonkey
01-21-2015, 10:30
My friend if you keep adding all this stuff to your food supplies for a thru-hike your pack will weigh the same 60 pounds you have been complaining about on your belly.

Time to start lowering both.

:sun

QiWiz
01-21-2015, 11:44
Yesterday I found a really good plastic storage container for butter, it has a rubber gasket on the seal. And these serious clip locks on each side. No chance of leaking. Empty wt. 2 oz. size 4x4x2. It will hold 3 sticks of butter. Enough for a big dollop in oatmeal and grits and other stuff. The extra fat calories will be good.

Other options to consider are oils (olive or other) in a plastic bottle, and ghee (which will not go rancid at room temp, which butter will do over time, though you may consume it too fast for that to matter). Two ounces just for a butter container seems heavy, but that's just me.

2Ply
01-21-2015, 12:52
Why not just use squeeze Parkay? Comes in its own container.

rikkitikkitavi
01-21-2015, 13:47
Olive oil ftw.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2015, 14:02
I wonder if anyone has gone by the trail name "butter tub" ... It has a nice ring to it.

Personally I'd look into olive oil, it's packed with calories and can ge easily stored in a plastic bottle.

Sandy of PA
01-21-2015, 22:50
Reuse a plastic mayo jar, screw lid seals tight for 1 oz. Holds a whole pound of butter for resupply ease.

1azarus
01-21-2015, 22:58
not sure what this means, but even with Sarcasm pulling down the average, this thread has an average age of poster above 60. hmmmmmm.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2015, 23:16
not sure what this means, but even with Sarcasm pulling down the average, this thread has an average age of poster above 60. hmmmmmm.
"with Sarcasm pulling down the average" Yeah, I hear that a lot...:rolleyes:

squeezebox
01-21-2015, 23:31
Sandy, What size mayo jar?

Feral Bill
01-22-2015, 00:14
My wife uses those containers for lunchtime yogurt. They work very well. The weight is up to you. I do not regard margarine as a decent substitute for butter. Olive oil is good, but may not serve your needs.

Keeping the average up.

Hot Flash
01-22-2015, 09:54
+1 for the clarified butter. You can put it in a lightweight squeeze container of some sort to make it easy.

Sandy of PA
01-22-2015, 21:40
I use the pint size Mayo jar for butter. Does wonderful things to mashed potato flakes and even rice dishes. I try to keep my food at least 125 calories per oz., butter really helps, I don't care for olive oil.

doug105
01-23-2015, 15:16
Hey Sandy,

How long can you/do you use butter like that before it goes bad?

Thanks,

DougN

Tuckahoe
01-23-2015, 16:24
While there are variables, figure that butter at room temperature will last about two weeks and salted butter probably a little longer.

If you want much longer shelf life clarify the butter or buy ghee.

gollwoods
01-24-2015, 15:58
dirtbagger tip... go to goodwill get a small baby bottle it wieghs little and seals tight you can get a small spork in it

Feral Bill
01-24-2015, 17:13
Container weighs 2.8oz, 2 sticks butter 8 oz

It seems a reasonable choice.

renegade47803
03-15-2015, 09:38
KFC has those individual butter (margarine packets), great for no leakage. Perfect for those weekend hikes.

kayak karl
03-15-2015, 11:07
My friend if you keep adding all this stuff to your food supplies for a thru-hike your pack will weigh the same 60 pounds you have been complaining about on your belly.

i agree. on one thread the OP said 2 oz. was "Heavy" yet here 2 oz is OK to replace a zip-lock. i have fallen in to the organization mode where i added things thinking it would help. even taking "backup" crap. all it did was weigh me down in pounds. i decided to "lighten up" in more ways then one :)

colorado_rob
03-15-2015, 11:20
Butter is the most calorie dense food you can possibly carry (calories/ounce), hence carrying butter is a very UL thing to do, but I agree, there are probably a tad lighter storage alternatives; I just weighed a snap lid container that is 1.7 ounces, I think big enough for a couple sticks, though I doubt 3.

Three sticks seems like a lot given easy resupply opportunities. I carried butter on a three-week, no resupply trip (Denali expedition), used exactly 1 pound in three weeks adding a nice dollop to a lot of food, increases calories and enhances taste nicely. I would think 1 stick (4oz) would last 4 days fairly well.

I did not realize butter would last as long in warm weather as has been said here (was cold on Denali, hence no issue whatsoever there, of course), good to know, I think I'll start carrying a stick on warm-weather thru's.

kayak karl
03-15-2015, 11:54
three sticks in 5 days will have the food flying through your body so fast you won't be able to get the calories out of it. i found this true myself with olive oil.

Feral Bill
03-15-2015, 12:08
KFC has those individual butter (margarine packets), great for no leakage. Perfect for those weekend hikes. Margarine is not butter.

renegade47803
03-15-2015, 19:14
I don't believe that I said it was. Your point is?

kayak karl
03-15-2015, 19:18
I don't believe that I said it was. Your point is? but the OP asked about butter for calorie intake.

jupiterkn
03-15-2015, 19:46
I bought powered butter, giving that a try in addition I have olive oil coming along too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-16-2015, 09:59

Very true!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannahike
03-17-2015, 11:39
I used to use baby bottle liners, they were pretty strong but I can't find them anymore so have switched to breast milk bags. They are much stronger and have a double zip. I carried oil for 2 weeks with no leaks.
I like the Lansinoh brand because the plastic is softer, the Avent brand has a very hard plastic with sharp edges. They are a bit more expensive than the liners but you can cut in half and heat seal. I did not cut the one for the oil.

for the ul's 3.75 g and holds 6ozs

BirdBrain
03-17-2015, 12:44
Butter is the most calorie dense food you can possibly carry (calories/ounce), hence carrying butter is a very UL thing to do, but I agree, there are probably a tad lighter storage alternatives; I just weighed a snap lid container that is 1.7 ounces, I think big enough for a couple sticks, though I doubt 3.

Three sticks seems like a lot given easy resupply opportunities. I carried butter on a three-week, no resupply trip (Denali expedition), used exactly 1 pound in three weeks adding a nice dollop to a lot of food, increases calories and enhances taste nicely. I would think 1 stick (4oz) would last 4 days fairly well.

I did not realize butter would last as long in warm weather as has been said here (was cold on Denali, hence no issue whatsoever there, of course), good to know, I think I'll start carrying a stick on warm-weather thru's.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=01001&t=01145&h=12131&s=100&e=100&r=

Very high calorie density for butter. I do not disagree. But there are more calorie dense foods. I love the 3rd item on the above comparison chart.

CalebJ
03-17-2015, 13:00
Anything with a higher fat density than butter will be slightly higher in calories. Pure fat (olive oil, coconut oil, etc) will be closer to 240 calories per ounce.

BirdBrain
03-17-2015, 13:13
I have an aversion to containers. I carry no foods that require containers. Containers render any calorie density debates irrelevant. If it can't be repackaged into a ziplock, it is not riding in my pack. But then again, if you love butter and don't think 2oz will break your back, the OP might be viable.

colorado_rob
03-17-2015, 14:03
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=01001&t=01145&h=12131&s=100&e=100&r=

Very high calorie density for butter. I do not disagree. But there are more calorie dense foods. I love the 3rd item on the above comparison chart.Great site! And I stand corrected (I should have said "butter is among the most calorie dense foods"), and I agree, various nuts are awesome on the trail; I like carrying almonds, cashews, pecans, and just plain old peanuts.