PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast

Green Bean
10-28-2005, 08:38
i have been backpacking for about a year and a half now and i have been camping all of my life. it just seems everytime i go backpacking it seems that it is all about the same food (which i am fine with), but it just seems like oatmeal for breakfast is just getting old. So i was just looking for a little change when it comes to breakfast.

orangebug
10-28-2005, 08:58
I like the convenience of Instant Breakfast made with powdered whole milk. Put the mix in a Nalgene, add hot water and start walking and drinking.

Marta
10-28-2005, 09:02
FD eggs and bacon.

PKH
10-28-2005, 09:09
A simple solution is to use some of your traditional evening meals as breakfast. Why not? They taste good and presumably are nutritious. You may wish to adjust the quantity of course. Just because we get locked into a particular style of breakfast food at home, doesn't mean we have to do the same in the woods. Why can't you have rice, beans and gravy for your first meal of the day (for example)?

Cheers,

PKH

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2005, 09:16
extra rice or couscous made at night and eaten with brown sugar in the morning is actually pretty tasty.

Alligator
10-28-2005, 09:23
Pancakes or hash browns. Bagels with jelly. Chocolate pudding. Little Debbies. Fruit Pies. I'd work a little protein (nuts or jerky) in early though, those last couple are heavy on the sugar!

Haven't tried the couscous, but have seen it suggested with dried fruit also.

max patch
10-28-2005, 09:44
Cold cereal with powered milk and honey. Pop tarts. Baked goods the first morning.

chris
10-28-2005, 09:44
Try not cooking breakfast. Quaker used to make these awesome Muffin Bars that were really good for breakfast. Oatmeal Squares (or something like that) are also really good. Having a cold breakfast gets you out of camp really early, which can be a blessing: The early morning (6:30-8 am) is prime hiking time as the light is perfect, animals are more active, hikers are non-active, it is cooler, etc, etc.

sarbar
10-28-2005, 09:52
A simple solution is to use some of your traditional evening meals as breakfast. Why not? They taste good and presumably are nutritious. You may wish to adjust the quantity of course. Just because we get locked into a particular style of breakfast food at home, doesn't mean we have to do the same in the woods. Why can't you have rice, beans and gravy for your first meal of the day (for example)?

Cheers,

PKHThat is what I do ususally. I like a hearty breakfast. On a cold morning, cheese mashed potatoes with chicken is very good!

flyfisher
10-28-2005, 10:01
A simple solution is to use some of your traditional evening meals as breakfast.
Cold Pizza! Even better than Pop Tarts.

Rick

neo
10-28-2005, 10:18
Cold Pizza! Even better than Pop Tarts.

Rick
i love cold left over pizza on the trail:cool: neo

Alligator
10-28-2005, 10:23
I love cold pizza. Never thought to bring it on trail. That's the best breakfast tip I have seen yet.:clap

JEB
10-28-2005, 10:37
Granola, straight from the baggie

fiddlehead
10-28-2005, 11:45
Can't believe none of you southerners didn't recommend GRITS! AS a yankee myself, i discovered them to be lightweight, filling, and you can add different stuff to make them taste how you want: syrup,sugar, pepper, ketchup, oil, etc.

also, rice krispy treats are a nice change once in a while although not as powerful as grits but then neither is oatmeal.
Grits are made from corn and that is a power food.

the goat
10-28-2005, 11:47
granola bars, bagels, peanut butter & nutella.

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2005, 12:14
Can't believe none of you southerners didn't recommend GRITS! AS a yankee myself, i discovered them to be lightweight, filling, and you can add different stuff to make them taste how you want: syrup,sugar, pepper, ketchup, oil, etc.

also, rice krispy treats are a nice change once in a while although not as powerful as grits but then neither is oatmeal.
Grits are made from corn and that is a power food.
If you are willing to cook up real grits, they are indeed great. However, I find the instant ones to be lousy. Then again I find instant oatmeal to be gruel and I love oatmeal, especially the steel cut kind.

Alligator
10-28-2005, 12:20
Well, I also like cream of wheat(instant), but over the years I've discovered that gets me weird looks...

I do bring it on the trail though.

Seeker
10-28-2005, 12:21
cereal bars, granola bars, landjaeger (smoked german summer sausage), cheese sticks...

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2005, 12:25
Well, I also like cream of wheat(instant), but over the years I've discovered that gets me weird looks...

I do bring it on the trail though.
instant cream of wheat is okay. has anyone tried Wheatena? one of my favs but does not come in instand. And for all you NORTHERNERS, what about MAYPO:clap

Singe03
10-28-2005, 12:30
I'm a southerner, I hate grits...

Instant mashed potatos with bacon and cheese is a great cold morning breakfast. You can get no refrigeration required packs of real bacon bits, I was worried at first but several of us used them in the summer with no problems. I never liked coffee much, green tea in the morning is awesome.

On warm mornings, I don't like anything really heavy so usually two nutrigrain bars would get me going just fine.

The Solemates
10-28-2005, 13:23
oatmeal, grits, pop tarts, honey buns, nurtigrain bars, little debbie snack cakes, the occasional peice of fruit, dried fruit, candy bars, gummi candy, the occasional fried eggs and sausage, ready-to-serve bacon, donuts, granola, dry cereal, bagels, english muffins, honey, brown sugar, jelly, raisins, nuts.....all things ive tried for breakfast.

TDale
10-28-2005, 13:25
Instant grits are greatly improved with a shot of real good olive oil. Oatmeal is greatly enhanced by dried tropical fruit. UL Joe's Moose Goo on flatbread is pretty good.

orangebug
10-28-2005, 14:21
Instant grits can be somewhat improved with melted cheese - not the powdered cheese grit stuff - also. No one hikes for an epicurian event. Breakfast needs to be substantial with fats and calories for warming you up and keeping you going thru the morning. One could simply eat a couple of Snickers and do just as well.

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2005, 14:26
Instant grits can be somewhat improved with melted cheese - not the powdered cheese grit stuff - also. No one hikes for an epicurian event. Breakfast needs to be substantial with fats and calories for warming you up and keeping you going thru the morning. One could simply eat a couple of Snickers and do just as well.
I have found that I really have a hard time eating and keeping breakfast down on most hikes. So for me I do not cook breakfast. I hike out a mile or two, find a nice spot eat a bar or two, have some gorp, possibly some cold couscous or rice and then I move on. -- Now my partner is into the COFFEE thing so I am going to really try and do the breakfast thing on my winter hike but not sure how it will work out. I may just hike out and meet up with him later in the day.

Alligator
10-28-2005, 15:11
Instant grits can be somewhat improved with melted cheese - not the powdered cheese grit stuff - also. No one hikes for an epicurian event. Breakfast needs to be substantial with fats and calories for warming you up and keeping you going thru the morning. One could simply eat a couple of Snickers and do just as well.Speak for yourself OB, not EVERYONE else. Some of us do actually enjoy cooking while hiking. SMS has related some extraordinary menus. One does not need to eat slop all day just because one is hiking. Come to think of it, I had a recipe for some black bean hash made with sweet potatoes (all dehydrated) that was excellent for breakfast. Reminds me that I should make another batch.

orangebug
10-28-2005, 15:36
Some hike for an epicurian experience, enjoying food preparation that lasts hours or days well in advance of the hike. Others enjoy the hike and compromise on diets by seeking convenience over esthetics.

I stand corrected.

Personally, I like to get going in the morning, and prefer to have more time available to actually walk while in the woods.

Alligator
10-28-2005, 16:03
Some hike for an epicurian experience, enjoying food preparation that lasts hours or days well in advance of the hike. Others enjoy the hike and compromise on diets by seeking convenience over esthetics.

I stand corrected.

Personally, I like to get going in the morning, and prefer to have more time available to actually walk while in the woods.Thanks. I hear you are going to be serving up some delicious blueberry pancakes soon.

orangebug
10-28-2005, 16:21
The Blueberry Patch Pancakes will be at the SoRUCK on MLK weekend for Saturday Breakfast. I don't carry griddles with me in my lightweight pack.

Doctari
10-30-2005, 17:54

Cheers,

PKH

I agree! For me "breakfast" is just the food I eat at that time of day. Granted it is usually (on trail) Oatmeal &/or grits &/or pop tarts, but it has been lipton noodles & sauce or Ramen too.

Odly enough, they seem to taste different (better?) then. I have also had oatmel for dinner (or IN dinner as a thickner)

Doctari.

Panzer1
10-30-2005, 19:21
I like having spam for breakfast because you can combine it
with so many other breakfast foods in so many combinations.
here are some examples of what you can do with spam.
You can have:
spam all by itself,
spam and eggs
spam,eggs and toast
Spam, baked beans,Spam, Spam, Spam, and Spam,
Spam, Spam, Spam , Spam, Spam
bacon and Spam; Spam, Spam,Spam, egg, and Spam;
bacon, sausage, and Spam; Sapm, egg, and Spam,
Spam; egg ,bacon, sausage, and Spam
egg, bacon, and Spam
Spam; egg ,bacon, sausage, and Spam
spam egg and bacon,
SPAM nachos
pasta with SPAM and sun-dried tomatoes in cream sauce
SPAM Mousse, SPAM Golden Harvest Clam Chowder, and SPAM Cheesecake
SPAM stew Buttermilk Topping, SPAM Fajitas, and SPAM Strudelswith Mustard Sauce
spam on a stick
fried spam mayo and lettuce sandwich.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

It's already cooked so you just heat it up.
You can eat it with either a fork or spoon and you do not need a kinfe.

Panzer

smokymtnsteve
10-30-2005, 20:40
I enjoy whole grain pancakes and french press coffee in the morning

add dried cranberries, or freshed picked blueberries in season.

In burningtown gap and other locations along the trail old apple trees can be found,,in fall these ole mtn apples are great cooked down with a shot of honey and then served over a whole wheat pancake/scone. perhaps with a touch of cinnamon.

a piping hot bowl of grits with tuna and sun dried tomatoes is a quick and easy b'fast,,,a dash of red pepper and sprinkle of garlic can really pep it up..yum

I also enjoy corn meal fritters, goes great the with grits (use olive oil for butter) touch of cilantro in the fritters adds a great zip.

max patch
10-30-2005, 21:39
ever check out the nutritional info on the can?

i respect my body too much to put spam in it.

LIhikers
11-04-2005, 09:01
Sometimes on a cool or cold morning I like to have soup. It doesn't stay with you very long, and you may be hungry in an hour, but it tastes soooo good going down.

PKH
11-04-2005, 09:11
Throw in a handful of dried brown rice or whole wheat pasta, and it will stick with you, as well as being tasty.

Cheers,

PKH

CynJ
11-04-2005, 09:12
Since taking a particular medication in the morning for insulin control I've really had to start a decent breakfast - and I find that I feel better through the day and have more energy too!

My breakfast every morning: 1/2cup quick cook oatmeal, 1/2cup long cook oatmeal, 1/4tsp cinnamon, 3tbs powered milk, 4 dried apple slices chopped up. Throw in 2 cups boiling water and let it sit for about 5-6 minutes and it will thicken up nicely. Its very filling and the two oatmeals give it a nice texture. I've also used craisins instead of apples, and I've added sliced almonds too.

As far as cooking on the trail - I personalliy find cooking to be relaxing - its almost a meditation thing for me. So I have some creative meals planned for my section hike that I am experimenting with now. And I know that I will be still cooking for 2 people like I do at home and my other half is a good eater but a picky one, so its got to be more than ramen. But to each his own.

Freighttrain
11-04-2005, 10:37
panzer, are you the guy who bought a truckload of spam for y2k?:D

for breakfast i like the no-cook power breakfast way.... i pre make a few days at a time.

in a qt. freezer ziploc (old style) add a vanilla carnation instant breakfast, a cup worth of powdered milk, and your fav cereal and maybe some dried berries and a few nuts

in the AM top off with water and shake for a min... provides a energy filled double breakfast... one the carnation , the other the reg cereal n milk... also the carnation has most vitamins n minerals needed

Auntie Mame
11-04-2005, 19:46
Maypo used to ROCK! Alas, as an adult it no longer does the trick. On the trail, though, it might be better.

Uncle Silly
11-04-2005, 20:53
ever check out the nutritional info on the [spam] can?

yeah, but i ate it anyway. it was at the shelter, and i didn't have to pack it in, and i was 'bout sick of gorp, so......

SteveJ
11-05-2005, 16:28
Can't believe none of you southerners didn't recommend GRITS! clip....

my standard trail breakfast, for a relatively short trip in cool weather, is 2 packs of instant grits with butter, with 3 or 4 slices of pre-cooked bacon broken into bite-sized pieces and mixed in. boil enough water for coffee and grits, fill the coffee cup, pour hot water over the grits and bacon - hmmm! I usually also put a granola bar in my pocket for a snack about an hour later....

http://www.quakergrits.com/QG_Products/butter.htm

not as good as 'non-instant' grits, but still loaded with carbs, filling, and good!