PDA

View Full Version : Traction Device for FiveFinger Shoes

Shutterbug
01-21-2015, 14:40
Have any of you found traction devices that work with FiveFinger shoes?

I try to avoid hiking on ice and snow, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I have been carrying instep crampons, but yesterday, I took a hard fall because my crampon rotated. It seems that the instep on my Fivefinger shoes doesn't adequately keep the crampon in place.

Yaktracks and Micospikes don't fit because of the toes. Are there other alternatives?

Starchild
01-21-2015, 15:19
You could put a sock over it, it does add some grip.

Seatbelt
01-21-2015, 15:59
Maybe this would work??

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Snow-Large/dp/B007S3RA1Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421870268&sr=8-4&keywords=pro+yaktrax

Seatbelt
01-21-2015, 16:00
Or this

http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-Lite-Serious-Traction-X-Large/dp/B000GA8ROU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1421870414&sr=8-6&keywords=pro+yaktrax

OCDave
01-21-2015, 16:07
First off, I am not a FiveFingers user, I prefer Luna Sandals. It seems that anything that would add bite to ice and snow underneath would be also be causing discomfort to the foot above unless speed broadly and uniformly, like the sole of a boot for instance.

Perhaps cut the sole from and old pair of trail runners, then cut out the strip that runs across your foot beneath the balls of your feet. Use laces, velcro, shock cork ect to secure that small bit of sole to the bottom of your FiveFingers. Just spitballin'.

Good Luck

OCDave
01-21-2015, 16:10
... Use laces, velcro, shock cork ect to secure that small bit of sole to the bottom of your FiveFingers. ...

Rather, like a belt across the top of your foot, not to the Fivefingers itself. Hope I am describing my idea clearly.

Again, Good Luck.

OCDave
01-21-2015, 16:16
Another idea, If you have a too large size trail runner, cut the toe box off just behind the balls of your feet then, attach an elastic loop that would fit from toe box around the heel back to toe box. Slip the toe box on only when you need the extra traction.

Shutterbug
01-21-2015, 17:35
Another idea, If you have a too large size trail runner, cut the toe box off just behind the balls of your feet then, attach an elastic loop that would fit from toe box around the heel back to toe box. Slip the toe box on only when you need the extra traction.

OCDave, I like your idea. I have been thinking about something similar. If I slipped the toe box from a trail runner over the toes of my FiveFinger shoes, I could then use Micro Spikes. Thanks for the suggestion.

My other idea is to put some screws in tread of the FiveFingers. The screws would have to be short because the sole is really thin, but I think it could be done. It is worth a try.

joker52186
01-24-2015, 14:40
Whay are the name of the shoes i have been looking for a pair for a while

love peace and chicken grease

Shutterbug
01-24-2015, 21:45
Whay are the name of the shoes i have been looking for a pair for a while

love peace and chicken grease

Vibram is the company that sells them. "FiveFingers" is the name of the category. They have a number of different styles with the "FiveFinger" label. The style most used for hiking is "Treksport." You can buy them at REI and many other outfitters.

Traveler
01-25-2015, 08:46
OCDave, I like your idea. I have been thinking about something similar. If I slipped the toe box from a trail runner over the toes of my FiveFinger shoes, I could then use Micro Spikes. Thanks for the suggestion.

My other idea is to put some screws in tread of the FiveFingers. The screws would have to be short because the sole is really thin, but I think it could be done. It is worth a try.

Wouldn't putting the toebox over the toes defeat the purpose of the shoes overall and create a problem of keeping the toebox in place? If the sole materials are thick enough to support screws thats likely the better approach, but even then I can't see how that would be comfortable walking on. How about using a pair of light shoes when you are going to need microspikes?

Shutterbug
01-25-2015, 15:48
... How about using a pair of light shoes when you are going to need microspikes?

Sometimes the most obvious answer is also the best one. Thanks.

Another Kevin
01-25-2015, 16:34
Sometimes the most obvious answer is also the best one. Thanks.

Uhm. I'd been keeping quiet, knowing how Five Fingers devotees defend their footwear! But even though I wear light trail runners (New Balance MT810) in summer, I wear Big Clunky Boots in the winter. Part of that is that I want a rigid platform for snowshoe and crampon bindings, but I also just feel more secure even with just microspikes if I'm in a stiff boot. (And if it's really cold, I switch to Sorel pac boots, which are bigger and clunkier still, but keep my feet warm and dry.)

Shutterbug
11-21-2015, 16:29
Out of necessity, I found the answer. I hiked the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon this week. The first two miles were covered with packed snow and ice. To keep my feet warm, I wore two pairs of socks. To provide traction, I wore slip on traction devices, I discovered that they worked just fine with the five-finger shoes. Here is a picture.

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 17:15
I have a foot problem, that needs stiff soles. So my opinion doesn't count. Good luck finding an answer.

Offshore
11-22-2015, 10:20
Have any of you found traction devices that work with FiveFinger shoes?

I try to avoid hiking on ice and snow, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I have been carrying instep crampons, but yesterday, I took a hard fall because my crampon rotated. It seems that the instep on my Fivefinger shoes doesn't adequately keep the crampon in place.

Yaktracks and Micospikes don't fit because of the toes. Are there other alternatives?

Perhaps FiveFingers just aren't appropriate for icy and snowy conditions...

Dogwood
11-22-2015, 10:32
Out of necessity, I found the answer. I hiked the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon this week. The first two miles were covered with packed snow and ice. To keep my feet warm, I wore two pairs of socks. To provide traction, I wore slip on traction devices, I discovered that they worked just fine with the five-finger shoes. Here is a picture.

OK, gonna keep it a secret? :)What are the slip on traction devices you used? I'm not placing those in the pic. Looks like those devices are designed with straps that go between the toes specific for Five Fingers.

squeezebox
11-22-2015, 15:37
I'll agree with that. But my son & ex-wife love theirs, and I love my toe socks.
Keep your feet happy.

Shutterbug
11-22-2015, 18:53

Maybe so, but sometimes one doesn't have a choice. This week, I did not anticipate the icy conditions, so I didn't have boots with me.

Shutterbug
11-22-2015, 19:00
OK, gonna keep it a secret? :)What are the slip on traction devices you used? I'm not placing those in the pic. Looks like those devices are designed with straps that go between the toes specific for Five Fingers.

No secret. For some reason, I am having trouble posting the link, but you can find them on Amazon. They are offered on Amazon Prime for $6.87 -- $7.87 under the name "Security Anti-slip Footwear" They are not made for fivefinger shoes, but the straps at the front conveniently slip between the toes.

Shutterbug
11-22-2015, 19:03
I'll agree with that. But my son & ex-wife love theirs, and I love my toe socks.
Keep your feet happy.

It seems that the Fivefinger shoes were a fad that has faded. A lot of people tried them. Only a few of us have stuck with them. I don't try to convince others that they should wear fivefinger shoes, but they work great for me. They are the only shoes I wear -- even to church on Sunday.

squeezebox
11-23-2015, 13:07
I'll offer a compromise . Toe socks, light trail runners, traction, and probably Dirty girl gaiters. And wear the toe shoes when you can, they weigh close to nothing.
Keep your feet happy.