PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about finishing in time...

cspruiell
01-21-2015, 17:58
My hiking partner and I will be leaving from Springer on April 13th; we aren't fast hikers by any means, and living in Florida hasn't let us get the elevation training we really need. I'm struggling to focus on excitement, since the fear that we won't reach Baxter before October 15th is sitting heavy in my mind.

Am I overreacting? I know that many hikers leave later than we're planning, but we would also like to enjoy our time and not blow past everything. If worst comes to worst, we realize we will have to do a flip-flop if we reach Harper's Ferry later than July 15th, but that would be a definite strike to our morale. I may just be fishing for reassurance, but I also need to get my mind right!

JohnChris
01-21-2015, 19:09
I don't think that it will be a problem at all, that's still a full 6 months to finish before October 15. Also, you can still summit Katahdin after that, the campground at Baxter will just more than likely be closed and there may be days that the trails up to Katahdin will be closed, depending on weather. I have heard though, that they are keeping the campground open later this year on a trial basis. I'm in the same boat as you worrying about finishing before the 15th, but I'm not leaving until May 8. To put it in perspective, you only have to average 12 miles/day to finish in 6 months which is definitely doable.

1azarus
01-21-2015, 19:22
I wonder if hikers consider doing a flip flop based on Monson -- I think it would be every bit as much fun to hike nobo to monson, then summit katahdin and hike like a SOBO back to monson... same thing would work from just a tad north of Mt Washington... I think they are both very attractive alternatives, and would keep you from having to decide in Harpers Ferry.

Frye
01-21-2015, 19:54
My hiking partner and I will be leaving from Springer on April 13th; we aren't fast hikers by any means, and living in Florida hasn't let us get the elevation training we really need. I'm struggling to focus on excitement, since the fear that we won't reach Baxter before October 15th is sitting heavy in my mind.

Am I overreacting? I know that many hikers leave later than we're planning, but we would also like to enjoy our time and not blow past everything. If worst comes to worst, we realize we will have to do a flip-flop if we reach Harper's Ferry later than July 15th, but that would be a definite strike to our morale. I may just be fishing for reassurance, but I also need to get my mind right!

You're overreacting.

cspruiell
01-21-2015, 21:10
You're overreacting.

That was easy! :p

ATAdam
01-21-2015, 21:26
After 500 miles you will generally pack the days with more distance than when you started. Don't forget that.
Once you get your hiker legs under you that day wont even be a concern anymore.

Almost There
01-21-2015, 21:27
Don't get sucked into towns and zeroes and you'll be fine. After a month on the trail, being from Florida won't even be a factor.

Grampie
01-22-2015, 10:48
At this point of your hike I wouldn't be too conserned about finishing before Katahdin is closed. Your first step is to get the "trail conditioning" behind you. In other words, Is this life something I want to live for the next 6 months? That's your first battle. After that It's just about moving forward. You will only have to average about 12 miles a day to get you to Katahdin before Oct. 15. There are plenty of options you can use before that time.
Happy trails to you. Enjoy your adventure.

Ktaadn
01-22-2015, 10:57
Odds are you won't finish (I hope you do though), so just cross that bridge when you get to it. In the meantime, get excited!

comanche8f
01-22-2015, 12:20
Odds are you won't finish (I hope you do though), so just cross that bridge when you get to it. In the meantime, get excited!

I disagree. I think you will be fine. I was quite concerned myself, but realized I will make it, no matter what. Although you only need to average 12 miles per day to finish in six months, you actually need to average closer to 14. The reason being, the average doesn't take into effect the zero or nero days. As far as not having anywhere to walk except for flat ground shouldn't concern you. Sure , it may not be as easy, but you will still be in decent shape. You will get your trail legs in within a couple of weeks. The only thing that will stop you , is you. You're capable of doing anything you put your mind to. Just know that you are going to finish, and do it!

dangerdave
01-22-2015, 12:22
Just making the attempt is a grand accomplishment! Don't fuss! Just enjoy your hike and see how it goes.

peakbagger
01-22-2015, 12:25
Yup you are overreacting, the best way to train for northern New England is to hike to it, there in not any good substitutes. There are plenty of mini flip options that will pop up in Maine to get you to Katahdin if you are running late. Realistically plan on the fun during the trip and don't worry about the last 8 miles.

Dogwood
01-22-2015, 13:23
Your over reacting falling prey to what some others, including myself, have done. It's a newbie reaction. Read what i said here about this question on this recent thread. April 13 was my AT NOBO start date as well.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108587-Policy-date-for-closing-trail-up-Mt-Katahdin-in-the-Fall

Seatbelt
01-22-2015, 14:06
If you get to Maine and your time/distance calculations tell you that you will be cutting it too close, just shuttle up to Katahdin and hike south, or hike Katahdin, come back to where you left off and then resume NOBO.

Motor City Rambler
02-08-2015, 18:28
You're overreacting.

Agree, you will average 12 miles per day After Hot Springs you can do that walking backwards.

dudeijuststarted
02-08-2015, 21:45

I left as a NOBO on March 22nd and didn't finish until October 10th. I flip-flopped very early to escape the crowds, and lo and behold all of my daily "gotta get to Katahdin and its 2000 miles away" stress was gone. Totally worth it. I'd say stick to your NOBO to get the Springer experience. Keep your eye on your pace. If you suspect you should flip, there are lots of travel options between major trail towns.

Other benefits to flipping if you are a slow hiker: You can avoid blackflies in New England and ford the Maine streams while they're warm. You can avoid norovirus (I did!) and get hostels and shelters all to yourself and a few others. Katahdin is a blast but you'll still get to climb it no matter how you shake it up. I got it on a beautiful day and wouldn't have it any other way.

My advice for a successful thru-hike: be mentally flexible, honest with yourself, and persistent about finishing the trail. You want to cross the finish line, wherever that is.

squeezebox
02-08-2015, 22:52
The cold Maine weather in Sept. was a big part of my decision to do a flip-flop from Harpers Ferry May 3. Back to Harpers Ferry Aug 1 or so. Smokies in Oct. I,m thinking I might not get snowed on.
Consider joining our little Harpers Ferry May3 bubble.

Fireonwindcsr
02-09-2015, 05:46
Everyone has an opinion and you shouldn't take to heart. My opinion is: Get out of your head. Don't over think the hike and psyche yourself out. You will make it, one step at a time.