PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Material

Alligator
10-28-2005, 09:29
How about listing out some good material other than music to rip to MP3's that would be of interest while hiking. My first thought was to rip a bird song CD and have that on my MP3 player. Suggestions?

Ender
10-28-2005, 09:35
How about listing out some good material other than music to rip to MP3's that would be of interest while hiking. My first thought was to rip a bird song CD and have that on my MP3 player. Suggestions?

I would do any of the NPR shows, like Car Talk, or Soundcheck, etc... Talk radio is always good. There's a hiker podcast out there somewhere as well. I heard the first episode and it's really good. Wish I could find the link...

The bird song thing is a good idea. Also, maybe language lessons. Learn while you walk. Also, maybe poetry readings. A collection of Robert Frost poems ("and miles to go before I sleep") would be cool.

Great question!

flyfisher
10-28-2005, 10:08
Books:

Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"
Bryson's "A walk in the woods"
Stephen Ambrose "Undaunted Courage"
"A Beautiful Mind"
"A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike" :D ;)

Whistler
10-28-2005, 11:05
For audio shows, I highly, highly recommend This American Life with Ira Glass. I've really enjoyed just about every show I've listened to.
-Mark

Mike
10-28-2005, 14:51
Go to podcastalley.com or podcast.net or podcasts.yahoo.com. Use the search feature to look up your hobbies. Start with trailcast and wildebeat.

I currently download 40 or so different programs on a regular basis. All you need is the rss or xml feed URL. Plug it into a podcast downloading program like "podcatcher on a stick" or "doppler" or "ipodder". The program will go out and look at your feeds to see if there are any new programs and download them for you. Very simple and convienient.

I currently download programs dealing with racing, football, tech, boardgames, computer games, christian stuff, scifi short stories etc.... Lots of content to choose from. It is amazing that this medium is only a little over a year old.

Ulyng
10-28-2005, 15:01
pat metheney...

c.coyle
10-28-2005, 15:24
pat metheney...

... kenny burrell

betic4lyf
10-28-2005, 15:43
gratefull dead

Alligator
10-28-2005, 15:56
That's wicked cool Mike. I knew about trailcast, but didn't realize there was such an extensive selection of podcasts so centrally located. I need to refine my mind--Craft Beer Radio here I come!

I may make a list of favorites out of this thread if it gets enough traffic. How about this, when posting, state the name, the genre, and the media. Such as:
Trailcast, Outdoors, Podcast
Hope that makes sense. Then the list would be by genre, name and media.

Ender
10-28-2005, 16:10
That's wicked cool Mike. I knew about trailcast, but didn't realize there was such an extensive selection of podcasts so centrally located. I need to refine my mind--Craft Beer Radio here I come!

Are you a home brewer? I've been homebrewing for about 2 years now, and have found it to be one of the best hobbies ever (right behind hiking or course). Always excited to see other homebrewers out there. Didn't know there was a podcast for craft beer... going to have to check that out.

CynJ
10-28-2005, 18:00
Podcasts rule!! I love the Wildebeat & Trailcast!

One suggestion I have for anyone buring cd's (that's what I do for the car) is to try playing any newly found podcast on your pc first -just to do an audio check. I found a couple that the topic was great but the audio quality was so bad I didn't waste a CDR on it. And watch the size - some of the podcasts can be over the 80mins a normal CDR will take.

I love comedians - so instead of music cd's I have several comedy cd's. Carlin, Robin Williams, Jeff Foxworthy.....

I was looking at some of the foreign language cd's the other day at Barnes & Noble. Learning Spanish on the go could be useful.

Alligator
10-28-2005, 19:17
Are you a home brewer? I've been homebrewing for about 2 years now, and have found it to be one of the best hobbies ever (right behind hiking or course). Always excited to see other homebrewers out there. Didn't know there was a podcast for craft beer... going to have to check that out.Yes! I have been unable to brew of late due to time constraints but have been brewing for 7-8 years, all grain.

Moxie00
10-28-2005, 20:12
If I had been listening to music, talk or anything but the woods on my thru I naver would have heard the rattlesnake in the leaves right on the trail in New York State. He was BIG and didn't appreciate hikers on his hunting ground. I listened to music and especially the weather at night with my earphones in the shelter or my tent but listened to the birds, the wind and the music of the woods while hiking. By the way, Baxter Park bans all electronics including cel phones and mp3 players, but it isn't strictly enforced.

napster
10-28-2005, 21:02
MP5 sounds better.....:D

CynJ
10-28-2005, 22:31
I don't think I would want it for when I was hiking - but it would be nice to have when you chill out in the evenings or a zero day

gumby
10-30-2005, 15:18
I enjoy a variety of music, mostly classic rock (60, 70s, 80ish). Some country and recently I got interested in Gothic Rock (Inkubus Sukkubus).
Currently I have 19.7 Gb making up 3800+ files of MP3s on my PC.
Believe it or not I like the Gothic to relax with.

Ender
10-30-2005, 18:25
Yes! I have been unable to brew of late due to time constraints but have been brewing for 7-8 years, all grain.

Haven't gone all grain yet... Not enough time, and deff. not enough space in my NYC apartment.

SavageLlama
10-30-2005, 19:53
Here are some suggestions for trail-related juice for your pod.. all free.

Trailcast - hiker interviews
http://www.trailcast.com/

"Through Hiker" by Ekoostik Hookah
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000054BD0/002-4778597-5643247?v=glance

"Appalachian Rain" and "Kicking This Stone" by Johnsmith
http://www.johnsmithmusic.com/AppalachainRain.mp3
http://www.johnsmithmusic.com/KickinThisStone.mp3

flyfisher
11-01-2005, 11:10
Here are some suggestions for trail-related juice for your pod.. all free.

Trailcast - hiker interviews
http://www.trailcast.com/

"Through Hiker" by Ekoostik Hookah
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000054BD0/002-4778597-5643247?v=glance

"Appalachian Rain" and "Kicking This Stone" by Johnsmith
http://www.johnsmithmusic.com/AppalachainRain.mp3
http://www.johnsmithmusic.com/KickinThisStone.mp3

I downloaded them to my iPod. I really like the Appalachain Rain song a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Rick

The Old Fhart
11-01-2005, 13:03
When I take talking books with me such as "A Walk In The Woods", "The Hobbit", and "A Short History of Space and Time", I resample the MP3 files and output them as mono and 24-32Kbps instead of the 128Kbps stereo they may have used to record the original. This give me reasonable sound quality and saves lots of space. The resampled files take up 1/4 to 1/8 of the original space. The entire Bryson book is 65Mb. Would have been more if he hiked the ENTIRE trail! ;)

justusryans
11-13-2005, 10:07
pat metheney...
we live here... Excellent album!!:welcome

Boo8meR
11-16-2005, 13:22
I'm about to buy an iPod, any suggestions on which one to get? I want something with a lot of space, but also something that is somewhat durable.

Boomer

The HotDog
11-16-2005, 14:22
I'm about to buy an iPod, any suggestions on which one to get? I want something with a lot of space, but also something that is somewhat durable.
Boomer

I have a IRiver H320, The big selling points for me is It has a FM radio, FM radio recorder, voice recorder all built in and at the time that I bought it had longer battery life than a Ipod. Customer services are good I am currently waiting on the return of my H320 (I think the battery died on it?) They were great as soon as I registered it and told them about the problem they said send back and we will send you a new one.(Still under warranty too.) However, mp3 players are a relatively new technology so it still has bugs in it no matter which brand you pick but most if not all of the problems happen under warranty.

Nightwalker
11-16-2005, 14:44
Go to podcastalley.com or podcast.net or podcasts.yahoo.com. Use the search feature to look up your hobbies. Start with trailcast and wildebeat.
Woah! Thanks dude! My Rio thanks you too...

Mike
11-16-2005, 17:27
Woah! Thanks dude! My Rio thanks you too...

Podcasts are all part of streamlining your life.

I got a DVR for my television about a year ago. I now watch less television than I did before, but I watch the programs that interest me instead of whatever is on... When I am on the stationary bike in the morning I am watching nfl primetime or iron chef or stargate.... Since I can skip the commercials, I have become spoiled for live TV.

After getting the DVR I became increasingly frustrated with the 9 hours of radio I listen to in a normal work day (commute and at the office). With every hour divided up into 35 minutes of content and 25 minutes of commercials/news/traffic, I was going insane. I did a bunch of research on what was available for use on an mp3 player before jumping in. I jumped when I found a program that allowed me to record live webstreams (i.e. radio stations on the web) so I could record some of my favorite talk radio programs and skip over the commercials when listening later. I bought an mp3 player because of the capability of this program. At the time i viewed podcasts as a curiosity only.

Since then I have replaced almost all of my talk radio programs with podcasts. I currently download over 50 podcast feeds and only listen to one weekly 2 hour sports program that is played on a local radio station.

My interests lie in christian teaching, football, F1 & IRL racing, Boardgames, Technology, video games, outdoors, etc... I have found extensive content on all of these subjects available for free download. Good stuff....