PDA

View Full Version : So there's this life….

LilBit
01-21-2015, 22:24
New member here also…So I haven't verbalized my goals, plans to anyone yet. So you will be the first to know and bare with me as this might be lengthy. I have been thinking for about 8 months now of hiking the AT. It has become to where a lot of my spare time has been consumed by daydreaming, researching and reading all about hiking and the AT. However there is more to it…My other intentions are to quit my job and sell my house. I am single, no kids and basically nothing but myself to hold me back. I am a paramedic, have been in this field for 16 years. I do enjoy my job but it is literally sucking the life out of me. Between the hours, the stress and lack of advancement in this field, I am ready for a change. I think a lot about getting out of this career and making some major changes in my life. The events I have witnessed over the years are beginning to haunt me…. I live in my hometown, a very small town in west tennessee. It's a great place to raise a family…however that has never been my dream. I want to do more than what I am right now. I feel like I am watching my life pass me by. Waiting for time to pass…it's becoming depressing. I am an athlete, I bike and am a distance runner, marathoner but I still feel as if I'm lacking something….
So my reasoning in this post it to put this idea out there and to also see if anyone has done anything similar. And hopefully you all will not think I am crazy as my friends and family might. I have very little experience in hiking as I've only done a few day hikes, so I do have a lot to learn. I don't really have a plan for after my return. I know I can come back home ('rents) and even return to truck as a medic although I'm hoping to have other ideas at that point. My stable career, nice house and single life may appear idealistic for some…and even for me a lot of times. But I continue to long for more…. :confused:

illabelle
01-21-2015, 22:46
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, LilBit! So when are you thinking of hiking the AT? Sounds like maybe you have some preparation to do - sell your house, do some training hikes, develop a plan for your future, etc. So I'm guessing 2016? Maybe you could take some time off and spend a week or two on the trail with this year's crop of thru-hikers, just to get a sense of what you're really thinking of getting yourself into. Nothing wrong with a LilBit of preparation! :)

bigcranky
01-21-2015, 23:33
You've pretty much come to the insane asylum, so welcome! :) and no one here will think you are crazy.

Lots of people have hiked the trail at a juncture in their lives. You may come home and decide to go back to your old life, or you may move out West and do something totally different with your life. How (or if) the trail changes you is undetermined at this point. (You might check out The Thru-Hiking Papers for more on this. Google it, I'm on an iPad and don't have the link handy.)

As for experience, everybody starts at zero. Borrow or rent some backpacking gear and get out on a nearby trail for an overnight. Do that a couple of times while you figure out what you really need. Ask questions here. Don't go to an outfitter and tell them you're thru-hiking and hand them a credit card :) Not yet, anyway. If you can get a week or two off this spring, get on the trail and do a hundred mile chunk and see what you think. Not only will that help you dial in your gear and technique, but you'll see if the long distance hiking thing is for you.

Good luck and happy trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yerbyray
01-21-2015, 23:34
I think I would first see how comfortable you are in the woods. Don't get me wrong as I have great respect for the emergency serivces folks (i work in Law Enforcement, have been a firefighter, and a forest ranger) but some folks in general just can't sleep and feel comfortable in the woods.

I appalaude you and your endeavour and act before life gets in the way.

As for post hike career....follow your ambition and dreams

Trailweaver
01-21-2015, 23:44
Find someone who does backpack (go to an outfitter's and ask around), then ask if they would mind if you tag along. Borrow or rent some gear at first, and try a lot of different things before you start buying. Then buy the best gear you can afford so that it won't wear out, fail in performance, etc. while you're out in the middle of nowhere, and just go. You will have to buy things to "upgrade" once you start using things, and find that some things don't work for you, but that's just the way it goes. The way you learn to do this is just to do this. Go, don't be afraid to ask questions, and just start learning. A lot of us just did that, and had to learn from stupid mistakes, (some funny, some not so funny, but funny later), and it just becomes one more story to tell around the campfire.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2015, 23:56
Young
Job skills that are in demand almost anywhere
You have many options

I know one paramedic that got onto offshore helicopter for oil rig workers, he loves it, doesnt actually have to do much but wait around.

Another does medical billing type stuff now, works from home.

Damn Yankee
01-22-2015, 06:37
If you aren't one already. get your National Registry Paramedic as a lot of states won't recognize your Tenn. license, this way you'll be registered in the National Registry and will be able to fall back on that career if need be. Also, as in Virginia, most medics work in Fire/Rescue as there are many Rescue Squads that are paid. You may also consider bridging to Nursing. As far as selling the house goes, I would have a hard time doing that as I would need a place to come home to. Maybe consider sub-letting for six months.

Old Hiker
01-22-2015, 08:51
WHAT the HECK are you waiting for ?!?!?

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Lots of info - lurk, ask, read the articles on the home age, pick and choose what's right for YOU.

My brother was a top level EMT in Texas for years - decided to quit - burned out scooping drunks up off the road. Got his 2, then 4 year RN degree, worked in a nice clinic for a long time, switched to home health care, never looked back. Good luck.

peakbagger
01-22-2015, 09:09
The one thing you didn't mention is if you have reserve fund in place. The bigger the better but a minimum of 1 year. If you hike the trail its highly likely that you are not going to be jumping back into the working world quickly and having the need to get a job as you have no money is going to force you into decisions that you would not make with some cushion. What you really need to do is determine if its the profession or the place you have decided to do it. The AT might clear your head but fundamentally you have to make a decision, find a new profession hopefully that builds on your skills or find a new place to practice your profession.

In many rural areas in the Northeast the volunteers are getting old and retires are moving in, they are hiring EMTs. Generally they have a lot of time to work on their skills as its slow pace of life

Old Grouse
01-22-2015, 09:37
I agree with Damn Yankee - you can always sell your house later if your plans warrant that. For now, since you aren't sure what you'd do after your hike, it would be better to rent it out while you're gone. Perhaps your parents would act as your agents in this.

rgarling
01-22-2015, 10:17
My stable career, nice house and single life may appear idealistic for some…and even for me a lot of times. But I continue to long for more…. :confused:

You want to give up the easy life for the (cold, wet, uncertain, hot, dry, boring, exhausting) trail? Sounds appealing; however, you might want to dip your toe in that pond before diving in!

Anyhow, if you are really ready for an extended break from your current life, and some time to think and forget it all, then making a clean break is a good idea. Yes, sell your house and possessions. You don't need those concerning you during your sabbatical.

LilBit
01-22-2015, 10:37
Thank you all very much!! You have definitely made me feel better about a lot of this and have given me things I haven't thought of at this point. I will definitely look into taking a week or two off and doing some overnight hiking. As far as selling my house is concerned, I have been wanting to downsize and the house I am in is indeed too much for me. Another crazy idea here, is I have been looking into reducing my carbon footprint, living simple and dreaming about the tiny house life! :)

Anyhow, if you are really ready for an extended break from your current life, and some time to think and forget it all, then making a clean break is a good idea. Yes, sell your house and possessions. You don't need those concerning you during your sabbatical.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, I prefer to not have to return to my oversize house and unwanted possessions. And I know myself all too well that it will be something constantly on my mind on the trail. Fresh start sounds amazing!

LilBit
01-22-2015, 10:49
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, LilBit! So when are you thinking of hiking the AT? Sounds like maybe you have some preparation to do - sell your house, do some training hikes, develop a plan for your future, etc. So I'm guessing 2016? Maybe you could take some time off and spend a week or two on the trail with this year's crop of thru-hikers, just to get a sense of what you're really thinking of getting yourself into. Nothing wrong with a LilBit of preparation! :)

Yes, I am looking at 2016 with hopes of my house selling prior to then. I am interested in taking some time off to do some hiking, I DO have plenty of vacation time to use before I quit! :D

OCDave
01-22-2015, 12:32
LilBit,

There are other ways to change the trajectory of your life other than dropping out to hike. Hike if you really want to but the tone of your first post suggests that this would be secondary to what ever would come after.

Consider: Career counselor. If I read your post correctly, you have been in the same career field since 15 years old? This suggests you haven't had much opportunity to explore other areas of interest. If nothing else, get a second, part-time job doing something completely different. (Coffee shop barista, dog groomer, bread baker, Pre-school aid, ect). Move to Montana for a single ski season and drive a SnoCat.
Consider: Education. If you current position does not hold promise of career advancement, perhaps you are not yet qualified for advancement. Go back to school to become qualified. If there are truly no positions above your own, consider taking your skills to a different environment. Hospitals in my area employ EMTs as ED techs. Once in a hospital environment you might find related roles you might find appealing. (Radiology tech, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physician's Assistant) Granted you will likely need more education but, hospitals will typically provide some educational assistance. Or perhaps, a new field entirely. Consider moving to a different part of the country and enrolling in college there.
Consider: Moving. Changing the area in which you live, the people with whom you associate or the climate in which you reside can give you a new perspective and renewed motivation to achieve the life you envision. Even of you continue as an EMT-P, a different employer can invigorate your career.
Consider: A directed adventure. Outward Bound provides experiences from a couple weeks to a few months. There are certainly other organizations to consider but, my own experience with Outward Bound has made an observable difference in my life.

I am not trying to dissuade you from a hiking adventure but, if you looking for something to change you life, there are more immediate and effective options available. Clearly, thru hiking the AT can be a life changing experience but, don't expect the experience alone to rescue you. At minimum, you should finish with the understanding that you will get no closer to your goal without taking the steps in that direction all by yourself. (Literally AND Figuratively)

I was a few years older than you before I figured out the life I wanted wasn't going to "just happen" without some directed effort from myself. The experience was a bit like jumping off a cliff. Very uncomfortable at first, scary because the ending is unknown then, exhilarating because you soon realize "I am finally flying".

I hope this doesn't come across as preachy, I mean it as encouraging. Good Luck with what ever then next few years bring.

OCDave
01-22-2015, 12:41
LilBit,

As if my last post wasn't long enough, other life changing opportunities to consider. Many seasonal employment opportunities in Antarctica. Wanna get away for 6 months? Many Summer in opportunities, fewer but really interesting opportunities over the Antarctic Winter. Also, consider using your skills for an international aid organization. Doctors Without Boarders is best known but many others that could use a Paramedic. Finally, Peace Corps, perhaps you aren't qualified but worth looking into.

All of the above I considered but, didn't have the freedom you have.

Again, good luck.

Seatbelt
01-22-2015, 13:32
Hi and Welcome!! You might check this young lady out, it seems you two might have some things in common.

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/about-me.html

sympathetic joy
01-22-2015, 15:42
So my reasoning in this post it to put this idea out there and to also see if anyone has done anything similar.

I'd like to briefly share with you a little of my story. Years ago, I dropped everything and went to teach in Asia. I wasn't a teacher in the U.S. and I wasn't going to be teaching in my area of expertise. I did it anyway. I loved every day of the 3 years I lived abroad.

After my first day in the classroom I thought I was the worst teacher ever. After the first week I thought I was getting better but I was still awful. After the first semester I looked back and wonder how it was I wasn't fired. After the first year I won an award for my teaching.

I dont think I was as bad as I thought I was. Rather, I think I focused on my lack of experience and knowledge during that first year and used that to evaluate myself.

I've read that hiking, especially long distance hiking, works much the same way.

The first few days you think this may be a mistake. You can't get the tent up because you didn't practice enough. You have blisters because your boots don't fit right.

After a month you get most of that sorted out and think - how did I make it this far?

If you're going to backpack for 150 days or so by the end of the road you will be an expert. It has to happen. You can't pitch your tent or hang your hammock that many times without mastering the task.

So I wouldn't worry much about not having enough experience.

On the job front - the great thing about your job is you can relocate easily. Sure, you might have to get a license or certification for the state or county you're working in but paramedics can work anywhere. It's not like being a coal miner, or a river boat captain, or a NYC tour guide.

So if you ask me I say throw your hat over the fence and go for it now. In a few years something may come up that makes it harder to take a long hike. Parents get sick. People hurt knees. Life gets complicated.

Do it now. Live your dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDf757QwXpk

LilBit
01-22-2015, 21:09
LilBit,

As if my last post wasn't long enough, other life changing opportunities to consider. Many seasonal employment opportunities in Antarctica. Wanna get away for 6 months? Many Summer in opportunities, fewer but really interesting opportunities over the Antarctic Winter. Also, consider using your skills for an international aid organization. Doctors Without Boarders is best known but many others that could use a Paramedic. Finally, Peace Corps, perhaps you aren't qualified but worth looking into.

All of the above I considered but, didn't have the freedom you have.

Again, good luck.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I have advanced over the years as far as I can see myself advancing, I advanced a few years ago to a supervisor. My boss is actually pressing me to seek his position after he completes his degree and moves on as well. However, I have no desire for his position. I am not a business type person, I do not want to sit at a desk, pushing paper and answering the phone as well as attending meetings. I would be utterly miserable. Many of my coworkers have stayed in this career when they should had got out many years ago, this field is not one to retire from because of the high stress. It is very easy to become burnt out but continue to stay because there is a paycheck. I refuse to become one of those people. EMS has become an abused system as well as many other healthcare services, i.e. emergency rooms. It is not always MVAs, heart attacks and trauma. Those I would say actually only consist of maybe 20% of calls, at least in my area.
I do know however regardless of what direction with my career, I need a break. I need a leave of absence to evaluate it all. To determine if this is still very much a field I can and want to stay in. Whether that is thru-hiking or traveling. I took two weeks off not even 4 months ago and I long for another…and longer leave.
I agree, as you said, it isn't just going to happen without effort from oneself…And I want to seek that...

LilBit
01-22-2015, 21:10
LOVE the video!!!!! I will be referring to this often!!!

Double Wide
01-24-2015, 05:41
You've got the bug. Once you get it, there's no turning back. So far, it's all been pretty good advice. I'd also add that you might think about logging on to meetup.com and join any of the hiking or backpacking groups in your area. I did that in Nashville a couple years back and got some wonderful advice and shared some awesome experiences that taught me a lot. And one other thing--start walking EVERY day. Hope to see you out on the trail one day!

Coffee
01-24-2015, 09:11
I agree with Damn Yankee - you can always sell your house later if your plans warrant that. For now, since you aren't sure what you'd do after your hike, it would be better to rent it out while you're gone. Perhaps your parents would act as your agents in this.
If the OP can afford to not sell her house and keep it vacant during the attempted thru, that could ease a lot of anxiety. I got pretty far along the path of renting out my condo prior to my PCT hike this year but it was costing me sleep at night and making me nervous that I would be displaced if, for some reason, I cannot complete my hike due to injury or other issues. Now I don't have that concern anymore since I'm leaving my condo vacant. I can afford to do so but it is a pretty big expense. Worth it for me for peace of mind. Probably very worthwhile for someone brand new to hiking attempting a thru hike imo...

Bronk
01-24-2015, 15:57
I quit a good job, threw just about everything I owned in a trash dumpster and hiked on the AT for four months. Sometimes you just gotta check out for awhile.

LilBit
01-24-2015, 20:36
I quit a good job, threw just about everything I owned in a trash dumpster and hiked on the AT for four months. Sometimes you just gotta check out for awhile.

I agree…I don't know if I'll ever be able to change careers because I feel as I was called to it…but maybe a long break from it will help me appreciate it more.

FlyFishNut
01-26-2015, 20:01
Lil Bit -
I think you need a change of venue. I have to admit that I am a bit jealous - I don't have the freedom to pick up and go, but as soon as my daughter is off to college I am going to ditch the rat race and move out west or the Caribbean - somewhere!

Sell your house - do the thru hike and soul search. I suggest afterward, if it hasn't become evident what you want to do that you move to a larger city or a suburb to a more "alive" place. You need to kick the small town dirt off of your boots and relocate. You say you feel a calling to your vocation - perhaps you need a new place to live, new things to do, new people to meet.

Don't wait too long - DO IT!

Regarding the hiking - do some overnighters. Get comfy hiking / sleeping outdoors. If anyone tries to dissuade you from your "new start" then reach out and I will be the little devil on your other shoulder telling you to DO IT. I'm sure you won't have a deficit of support from the derelicts here!

Keep us posted.

saltysack
01-26-2015, 22:36
That video is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PilotB
02-24-2015, 07:30
First flight lesson was Sept 1, 1998 (my 30th birthday)

With 2 kids and a very supportive wife I changed careers and made a barely livable wage for 8 years. I would be completely miserable if I had never jumped off that cliff and went for it. I encourage you to do that same....so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldbug
02-25-2015, 15:51
A few years ago, I quit my job, got out of my lease, put my stuff in storage, and did a month on the trail. It was all I had savings for, really. While I was sitting on a bald near Carvers Gap, I realized I wanted to be a freelance writer. So I came home, got a part time job to pay the bills, and started building my new career. It can be stressful sometimes when money is tight, but I am content in ways I never dreamed of.

Make sure you have savings to fall back on, and take the plunge. It worked for me!

wdanner
02-26-2015, 11:10
Sabbaticals don't get as much praise as they should. Taking some time to consider where you are in life and what you want to do in the future is only natural. However, don't get caught up in viewing the completion of a thru hike as THE catalyst for a change in your life. Many people have to get off the trail for a variety of reasons. The time away is great for reflection and thinking in general (what else can you do when walking miles and miles) but make sure finishing doesn't become the only way you would consider that time spent "recharging" a success.

Spirit Walker
02-26-2015, 14:42
When I was 27 I began hiking. At 30 I took my first backpacking trip. At 31 I quit my job to hike the AT. So, like you, I didn't have a lot of experience before I hit the AT. When I finished the trail, I went back to my previous job briefly to get some funds, then moved to San Francisco, which was a move I had long contemplated. Family issues and inertia had kept me from doing what I really wanted to do, until I decided to do the hike. I went on to do other long distance hikes, because I really love the LD hiking lifestyle. But most important, I gave myself permission to live the life I wanted.

For you, I'd recommend getting out and doing as much hiking and backpacking as you can over the next year. Figure out whether this is something that you really want. As a runner, you're used to getting out, working really hard, and then going home to a hot shower and good meal. Find out how you cope with day after day of rain or cold or heat and being dirty for days at a time.

At the same time, think about some of the things you want for your life long term. What would your ideal life be? I have thruhiking friends who went on to travel to Asia, or work in Antarctica, or bicycle across the country. Some became perennial hikers. Many went back to school to get a degree in a field that really interests them. At 31, you have a whole world of opportunity.

dangerdave
02-26-2015, 18:18
I just retired from 28 years as a career firefighter/paramedic for a small city (pop. 23k) in southern Ohio. Being part of the "broken" EMS system was always frustrating. Watching people die was always depressing.

Rule #1: People die.
Rule #2: You can't change rule #1.

What kept me going all those years was the service (however that may be defined) I gave to my home town. I was given the skills to save lives with my bare hands, and I did it very well. The pride in my retirement is knowing that there are now generations of certain families that I have touched, who would not be alive today if it were not for these two hands. Children I saved twenty years ago who now have children of their own, and who will get to see their grandchildren grow. All because of little old me and the people I worked with. Thinking of that always makes me smile.

Even the crappiest days are fraught with marvels! :)