PDA

View Full Version : Copper Spur Carry Sack

TurboPants
01-22-2015, 13:24
I bought my BA copper spur UL1 last year on sale, got a good deal too! I've taken it on a couple overnight trips and the silnylon sack for carrying it already has a few holes and I've only carried it around inside my backpack for a total of 3-4 days. Is this normal and expected for silnylon? I'm not sure I trust this thing to carry my tent for 4 months straight if it already has holes from a few overnighters. My intention was to use my GoLite Jam 50L pack and put the tent inside, but do most people carry their tent inside or outside the pack? I know it rains pretty much on a daily basis along the AT so maybe I should just roll the tent up tight enough to fit in a side pocket so it stays on the outside?? For those who have experience with a single compartment tent, or sylnylon sacks, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks

swjohnsey
01-22-2015, 13:52
The sack is just something else you don't need. Lay the tent out the way it comes down, floor down. Put the fly on top. Put the poles and stake bag in the middle, fold up the sides around the poles/stakes, roll up the tent into a nice package. The floor of the tent will be on the outside.

Havana
01-22-2015, 14:10
I haven't had a problem with my original stuff sack. I don't carry the poles in it so that may make for less wear. For carrying the tent, here's what I do. First, I carry the tent in a stuff sack inside the pack (a Zpack Arclite) because I'm anal and overly organized. The poles are in an external side pocket and lashed to make sure they don't go anywhere. If the fly and/or footprint are wet, I put them in the outside mesh pocket while hiking and then lay them out to dry during a break if it's not raining. If you have to carry the tent inside even when it's wet, I would buy a waterproof stuff sack (or tough garbage/compactor bag) so that it doesn't get everything else wet.

TurboPants
01-22-2015, 15:39
Yeah I think the poles are what damaged the stuff sack. OOPS! The stuff sack may need to go BUT I'm kinda leery about wrapping up the poles in the tent because I think the tent material is the same (maybe cuben?) as the stuff sack, and we all know how well that worked for me! I'm glad your stuff sack held up though, tells me I did something dumb and don't remember it.

Havana, the GoLite Jam is just one large compartment with drawstring top. The front "pouch" is nowhere near thick enough for even a tent fly, and it's zipper sealed so that's no good. The side drink pouches are big enough for a gatorade sized bottle. One side has straps to put something tall in that pouch, like a tent maybe? The tent also fits into this area so my thinking is this would work good if it was wet. I don't want to put water inside the main compartment unless I have no other choice. Most people could probably hike 5000 miles with water bladders inside without a single problem. Me? I'd make it 6 hours and have a flood inside my bag lol! Murphy's law was written because of me.

rockyiss
01-25-2015, 19:10
BA would probably send you a new stuff sack , I would give them a call. My fly got torn once on a rose bush in a couple places . I called BA they told me to send it to them and they would fix it . I had it back in a week. Thanks BA all fixed and they did not charge me.

TurboPants
01-25-2015, 21:58
Good to know they are a respectable company like that. The holes are kinda small and really not that bad, but I know it will rip and tear with more trips. It probably weighs 1-2 oz so I may consider ditching it and just roll up the tent and strap the poles somewhere else.

Havana
01-26-2015, 00:03
Turbo, the zpack has a compression strap on the side that I tuck the top end of the poles under with the bottom end in the pocket. Sounds like this might work on your pack. Leave the tent inside and the water outside. :) The less stuff you have on the outside of the pack the less stuff there is to loose.

TNhiker
01-26-2015, 00:36
likewise ive had BA replace a stuff sack when it got torn...

they were a little reluctant at first but they did it......

and plan on sending back a fly creek for zipper failure here shortly..........