PDA

View Full Version : Shining Rock weather this week?

SteveJ
10-28-2005, 11:23
Hi, all. I'm going to the Shining Rock Wilderness area this weekend. :banana

I'm assuming lows Sat and Sun morning will be in the low 20's, with highs in the 50's, with gusting winds. Has anyone been in the wilderness area this week? if so, what have the temps been? any idea on how windy it's been/it'll be? is the parkway open? Am planning on hanging my hammock on one of the ridgelines.....

Thanks!

Steve

Scrunchy
10-28-2005, 11:30
Hi, all. I'm going to the Shining Rock Wilderness area this weekend. :banana

I'm assuming lows Sat and Sun morning will be in the low 20's, with highs in the 50's, with gusting winds. Has anyone been in the wilderness area this week? if so, what have the temps been? any idea on how windy it's been/it'll be? is the parkway open? Am planning on hanging my hammock on one of the ridgelines.....

Thanks!

Steve
Hey Steve,

You got the temp right according to what our Weatherman is saying, and it's supposed to be a little windy. This past week has been really cold, but we have a warm front moving in. The Parkway is OPEN (yea!) along that stretch. They had the Balsam Gap (near Waynesville) access closed earlier in the week, but it's open now.

The Solemates
10-28-2005, 11:31
havent been up there recently, but they pretty much close the parkway after the first snow, and dont usually open it back up even if it has melted in between snows (but it usually doesnt melt either). im not sure if it got much snow with the recent storms or not, but i would imagine so...i would call to make sure.

The Solemates
10-28-2005, 11:32
but you dont need to use the parkway to get to shining rock either. park at big east fork and take that trail up. ive done that many times and its a nice, gradual, relatively short hike.

SteveJ
10-28-2005, 12:15
Hey Steve,

You got the temp right according to what our Weatherman is saying, and it's supposed to be a little windy. This past week has been really cold, but we have a warm front moving in. The Parkway is OPEN (yea!) along that stretch. They had the Balsam Gap (near Waynesville) access closed earlier in the week, but it's open now. thanks for the info - whoo-hooo - good news about the parkway!

but you dont need to use the parkway to get to shining rock either. park at big east fork and take that trail up. ive done that many times and its a nice, gradual, relatively short hike. thanks for the info. our backup plan is to take the flat laurel creek trail in...we're coming up from Atlanta, and will be on 215 in from the south....

when I was there last, in January, 215 was closed north of the Blue Ridge parkway. I assume that it's open now?

I'm hoping to take the art loeb trail over to shining rock mtn, and camp on one of the terraced meadows there (neat to watch the sun set, then come back up the next morning!). i'm taking a few guys that have never been, and want them to see the views on the art loeb trail south of shining rock mtn... (altho, i think they'll regret their 50 lb packs, and will view my 25 lb pack with envy by the end of the day!)...

alright, what did I do with my headlamp....

:D

Scrunchy
10-28-2005, 12:28
thanks for the info - whoo-hooo - good news about the parkway!

thanks for the info. our backup plan is to take the flat laurel creek trail in...we're coming up from Atlanta, and will be on 215 in from the south....

when I was there last, in January, 215 was closed north of the Blue Ridge parkway. I assume that it's open now?

I'm hoping to take the art loeb trail over to shining rock mtn, and camp on one of the terraced meadows there (neat to watch the sun set, then come back up the next morning!). i'm taking a few guys that have never been, and want them to see the views on the art loeb trail south of shining rock mtn... (altho, i think they'll regret their 50 lb packs, and will view my 25 lb pack with envy by the end of the day!)...

alright, what did I do with my headlamp....

:D
215 is open.