PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for AT NOBO Thru Hike

Cotton Terry
01-22-2015, 18:42
Here’s my gear list for my 2016 NOBO thru hike with an early March start. I’ll be using this same gear on a section hike between Springer Mtn and Unicoi Gap this May as well as other weekend shakedown hikes here in the Wisconsin area. Gear not packed consists of:

· Black Diamond Trail Pro hiking poles.
· The North Face Sahara convertible pants.
· Synthetic boxers and synthetic undershirt – 2nd pair packed.
· Merrell Moab hiking shoes. I’ll probably start with waterproof and switch to Ventilator when those wear out.

Following are comments on the gear list:
· Low Alpine Backpack: I would like to go with the Osprey Aether 70. I like the features and it’s a whole 23 ounces lighter, but I’ll wait and see how the $$ holds out. I’ve used the Lowe Alpine many years and it hasn’t let me down.
· Big Agnes Copper Spur tent: I haven’t bought this, yet. I want a side entry tent, under 3 pounds, that has room for me and my backpack.
· Sleeping Bag: This is a proposed bag. My current bag is an REI Downtime 10F 650 fill down bag. That’s way too warm for the AT. My plan is to get a moderate temp bag and use a liner like the Sea and Summit Thermolite. This adds 15F warmth to the bag and can then be used as a warm weather bag.
· Osprey 3L Water Bladder: I will probably only have 2L water max when hiking, but will have the extra liter for cooking dinner and breakfast.
· 11oz Fuel bottle: Will an 11oz bottle be enough for this hike? I plan on cooking the typical Knorr, mac and cheese, oatmeal, coffee/cocoa, etc.
· Clothing: My plan is to use the fleece for insulation and the wind/rain jacket for wind protection. In combination with the other layers, I expect to stay warm through the Whites.
· Gaiters: This is a place holder. I haven’t purchased them, yet. The Dirty Girl Gaiters are getting good reviews, but I haven’t made up my mind.
· GPS Tracker: This is for my wife’s peace of mind and will allow my family and friends to see where I am at various times on the trail.
The total is about 30-1/2 pounds, so I will need to cut it down. I’d like to have it under 30 (going with the Aether 70 would get me to a breathe above 29 pounds). Any suggestions are welcome (need I say?).

Description
Make/Model
Weight (oz)

Back pack
Lowe Alpine Contour 3 (68L)

Tent
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2

Foot print
Same

Stakes
MSR Carbon Core - 8 each

Sleeping Bag
Big Agnes Pitchpine UL 45 2015

Sleeping Bag Liner
Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Mummy Bag Liner

Camp Pillow
Cocoon

Sleeping Pad
Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest Solar Sleeping Pad (20x72)

Water Bladder
Osprey 3L (10.9 oz) + 2L water (35.27 oz/L) = 10.9 + 70.54

Water filter
Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter - 32 fl. oz

Camp stove
MSR WhisperLite International

Fuel Bottle with Fuel
MSR - 11 fl. oz

Cookware
MSR Quick Solo Cookware System

Camp Kitchen

camp towel

Camp Shoes
Crocs

Fleece
L.L. Bean

Thermal Base Layer (Long sleeve top and long bottom)
Merino wool/synthetic

Underarmor synthetic boxers

Underarmor synthetic boxers

Sock Liners (2 pair)

Socks (2 pair)
Smart Wool

Rain/wind Jacket
L.L. Bean

Rain/wind pants
L.L. Bean

Fleece Beanie
Duluth Trading

Gloves
TNF Apex

Pack cover
Sea and Summit

Gaiters
REI Alpine Light

stuff sack - Clothes
Sea to Summit 35L

stuff sack - Food
Sea to Summit 20L

Paracord (50'), throw bag and carabiner

Head lamp
Black Diamond Storm

Bug net
Sea to Summit Head Net with Insect Shield

Multi Tool
Leatherman Style CS

Doo trowel w/tp and zip lock
Sea to Summit

First Aid Kit

iPhone + charger

Camera
Nikon Coolpix AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS.

GPS Tracker
SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger

AT Guide
AWOL

TOTAL

fastfoxengineering
01-22-2015, 19:10
Your not packing too too heavy but you could definitely shave some weight from your gear list before you even start. Any long distance hiking experience? Any gear budget for upgrades? As for your first questions.

1. For a tent look at the Tarptent Notch, Moment, or Lightheart Gear Solong if your into a side entry, lightweight, and can bring your pack in. All much lighter than 3lbs
2. For a pack, you'd be a good candidate for a ULA Catalyst after you shave some weight of your packing list.
3. For a sleeping bag, a 20* down bag is perfect. Most agree sleeping bag liners do NOT add as much warmth as they say they do. Leave it home. Wear more layers to bed. Add a silk liner if any.
4. Most long distance hikers ditch H20 bladders. Difficult to clean &heavy. 2x 1L gatorade bottles and a 1L platypus softbottle is all you need. And much lighter. You can mix powedered drinks in them.
5. 11oz fuel bottle is too much if your using an alcohol stove, which is what I would recommend. An 8oz bottle with a squirt cap is perfect.
6. Fleece insulation works great, but it is heavy. If you can afford it, a lightweight synthetic or down jacket will be warmer and much lighter.
7. Dirty Girl Gaiters are the cat's meow.
8. Some have issues with the GPS device. Get a good one and & learn how to use it effectively if your going to carry one.
9. Your 6.5lb backpack is much too heavy for a thru hike. There's no reason to carry a pack greater than 3lbs on the AT. A 3lb pack nowadays can handle a 45lb load easily.
10. You tent is decent, if it works and you like it, keep it.
11. Get a piece of polycro from Gossamer Gear if you insist on using a footprint.
12. Are each of your stakes 1.60oz? I carry 6 titanium stakes and they together they weigh 1.3oz.
13. Seriously, ditch the bladder.
14. Switch to an alcohol stove setup or a pocket rocket. Save yourself half a pound.
15. Your fuel bottle alone weighs as much as an experience long distances hikers full cook kit. Switch to alcohol and get an 8oz squirt bottle.
16. Your pots heavy. Looking into a kmart grease pot.
17. Camp kitchen and towel? All you need is a mini-bic, a long handled lexan spoon, and a lite-load towel.
18. LL Bean fleece is gonna weigh you down at 18oz. It will work. But try finding a good deal on a puffy. My EXPENSIVE montbell ex light anorak weighs less than 7oz.
19. You only need one pair of boxers.
20. You only need one pair of sock liners.
21. Ditch the pack cover, use a trash compactor bag to line your pack. Much more effective
22. Your stuff sacks are heavy. Ultrasil dry sacks or diy cuben bags are much lighter and not all that expensive.
23. Paracord is very heavy for something you'll rarely use. 50' of 2.2mm spectra and a #2 plastic S-Biner is all you need. and weighs about 1.5oz
24. Headlamp is on the heavy side.
25. I endorse bringing a trowel, however that sea to summit one is heavy! Check out QiWiz's titanium ones or Montbells aluminum ones
26. Rip your Awol in half. Mail it home, get the other when you need it.

If you'd like to discuss more in depth. I can help you. No need to spend alot of money either. $50 and some advice can probably shave 5lbs easy.

fastfoxengineering
01-22-2015, 19:11
ps. I don't even know if you were asking for advice. But after reading your post, my legs and back hurt.

Connie
01-22-2015, 19:27
There is low weight and there is low volume: have both.

For example, paracord isn't try "heavy" right?

It is high volume.

His example of "improvement" is low weight and low volume.

This is the way to get carried weight down.

Be sure to get weight off of your feet: long trails require picking up and putting down your feet many more times than any weekend hike.

gbolt
01-22-2015, 19:35
Fastfoxengineering speaks the truth and gave sound advice. Adding to his:

More bad news on the S2S Thermolite Liner, I had it at 8.1 but after I purchased it, I read the Tag and it states 8.7. The difference could be the Sack it packs in. I haven't weighed mine yet and only got it and a silk liner to use in hostels and for a summertime bag because I hammock and am avoiding a Summer Top Quilt..

I have alway's used the Whisperlite but it is heavy and overkill. I now have an Alcohol Stove, but still know the lure of the Pocket Rocket. It acts like the Whisperlite with more ease. The problem is canisters on the trail. I think most go for Alcohol (both kinds).

Agree: Ditch the Bladder, use Large Smart Bottles that work with your Sawyer Squeeze and used in reverse will clean your squeeze; no need for that injecter thingy.

Agree: ULA Catalyst is the best Pack for your weight load and will save a good amount of weight. (I am still hiking with an External Frame Pack that is 7 lbs for carrying 18 lbs. of gear). I am looking at ULA myself (once I finalize gear volume).

However, in the end, you have thirty miles to figure it out and exchange at Neals Gap. However, shakedowns are a great idea.

mountain squid
01-22-2015, 19:43
Some observations:

- a 45f bag might be ok in May, but will not be sufficient for a March start
- an extra pr of 'ankle' socks for camp use only (always to remain dry)
- needle for draining blisters
- hand sanitizer
- whistle (might be part of sternum strap)
- sun screen (no leaves on trees in March)
- bandana/buff
- tooth brush/paste
- ear plugs
- duct tape

Concur:
- 6# back pack is heavy
- would not rely on a liner to add warmth in a sleeping bag

Disagree:
- keep the bladder, drinking on the go is very convenient. There will likely be a few times when more water is necessary. If you wish to use drink mixes, save a Gatorade bottle.
- 11 oz of fuel might be enough - I carried a 20 oz Sprite bottle and just topped off as necessary
- mini-bics are very difficult to light

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)
maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Connie
01-22-2015, 19:50
There are also Simblissity brand stretch gaiters.

I would find anything more than silkweights bottoms much too warm.

I dislike zip-off convertible pants, as heavy and as having awkward zippers. I think a man might have swimshorts for one pair underwear and for swim shorts and for regular shorts.

I have a Lowe Alpine pack. I use it like a duffle bag on a pulk.

It just isn't relevant for the hiking I do. It was my mountaineering backpack.

Now, I use my Lowe Summit pack as a day pack.

Instead of a pack cover, LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover protects head and shoulders as well as pack straps, where water enters and envelopes the entire pack.

I like bluetooth Dual160GPS or Dual150GPS for smartphone or iPod Touch. If you do not have a medical condition, it is difficult to understand having to carry the Spot Messenger.

Many families are delighted to have GPS marked photos uploaded online at trail towns. That provides a "track".

If you get an accessory lens, two software apps more than iMovie, and, a "steady cam" device for the iPhone, you could have professional results with the iPhone.

Connie
01-22-2015, 20:08
I have a MSR WhisperLite International stove I no longer use.

The fuel is no longer available everywhere. It is loud. It can flare up. I no longer want gasoline products near my truly expensive gear.

There are alcohol stove designed to be no-spill and boil faster or simmer, for example, Zelph StarLyte w/lid. It works well with backpacking cookware and a windscreen.

The "yellow container" Heet is available at practically every gas station and auto parts store.

If you like "hot water right now" the JetBoil Minimo is excellent and the "micro regulator" technology allows the MiniMo to operate with a steady flame to 20 F and all the way down to an empty cannister. It will also "simmer".

Connie
01-22-2015, 20:12
Smart Water with the blue nozzle and flip-top works to back flush my Sawyer Mini. I don't see why you couldn't use that Smart Water "bottle top" with any compatible container to back flush the Sawyer Squeeze.

I use that "bottle top" with the Platy-type container.

Cotton Terry
01-22-2015, 21:20
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. fastfoxengineering, carrying 2 1 liter bottles is a good idea. The 1.6oz is the total weight for all 8 stakes. Connie, I will probably ditch my Whisperlite, too. Alcohol stoves are cheap enough the experiment with and the weight savings is very attractive. I'll look into the Zelph Starlyte. All good feedback. That's what's so great about WB.

fastfoxengineering
01-22-2015, 22:57
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. fastfoxengineering, carrying 2 1 liter bottles is a good idea. The 1.6oz is the total weight for all 8 stakes. Connie, I will probably ditch my Whisperlite, too. Alcohol stoves are cheap enough the experiment with and the weight savings is very attractive. I'll look into the Zelph Starlyte. All good feedback. That's what's so great about WB.

Hard to beat a caldera cone system with starlyte stove. Many thru-hikers have successfully used them. I'm currently using that setup when I feel like using alcohol as well. Very efficient system. I don't think you'll miss your whisperlite one bit. Also, your cook pot is pretty heavy at 11oz. Some don't like titanium for the cost. However you don't need to go that route. I suggest you look into the kmart grease pot. A favorite amongst ultralighters.

Starlye Stove
Grease Pot
Caldera Cone
Long Handled Lexan Spoon
LiteLoad Towel
Mini-Bic
8oz Squirt Top Fuel Bottle
Homemade pot cozy

Seriously... A very well proven alcohol system for a damn good price. Of course, you could always make your own windscreen and pot stand rather than the caldera cone. But the cone is awesome.

Furthermore, I think most hikers just get fed up with their camelbak when in for the long haul. They need to be cleaned. You can't easily make a powdered mix drink with a bladder. You could always carry another bottle but why. Plus, gatorade/soda/waterbottles are easy to come by, durable enough, disposable, and your favorite beverage comes free when you buy the bottle. Some till use camelbaks, but I think the majority of lightweight hikers prefer bottles. Also the sawyer works directly with ordinary bottles. Just screw it right on and drink. Doesn't get any easier that.

10.9oz for your bladder

1L gatorade is 1.5oz, 2x = 3.0oz
2L platysoftbottle is 1.5oz (these are great for getting water at camp, fill both bottles and your 2L platy)
total = 4.5oz

save 6.4oz for $15 and have a much more versatile hydration system. Make senses to me.

TurboPants
01-23-2015, 13:12
If you read all the blogs and stories around here, water bladders are unreliable and virtually impossible to clean. I'm going to take the sawyer bladder that comes with the filter just because it's made for it but it will be my dirty water carrier that I use to filter into bottles. I'll be carrying smart water bottles, or gatorade. They are type5 plastic, meaning no leaching chemicals. When they get dirty, throw em away and grab another.

You could save at least 6oz on your stove. If you already own the whisperlite, go for it. But for practically free you could build a pepsi can stove and your stove would weigh 1.5oz . I personally use a MSR pocket rocket (under 4 oz) because I prefer canisters. I did a deeper study of BTUs and fuel types... with butane you have reduced wait time for boil, more meals/oz of fuel burned, and will carry less weight over the course of a hike. My pepsi stove works awesome for its weight BUT it takes forever to boil water and you can't save unused fuel. If you did an alchy stove you're looking at saving AT LEAST 8-9oz, if you did something like an MSR pocket rocket you're looking at 6oz savings. It's all just personal preference.

I think some of your calcs are off, unless my scale is broken (made in China heh). I was working on my own spreadsheet last night and my copper spur UL1 weighs 44.5oz and my cocoon pillow was 4.2oz (maybe you have a smaller one?). I find it hard to believe the UL2 is lighter than my UL1 though. If so, I'll be selling my UL1 and getting a 2 lol. I personally don't care too much about 4-5oz here or there cause you can't feel that on your back. But ounces add up to pounds. =) Don't take the weights listed by manufacturers as gospel, they're often wrong in my experience. That's a good start on your preps!

Cotton Terry
01-23-2015, 14:14
TurboPants, I don't have the Copper Spur UL2, I got the numbers from the mfg. I did weigh the pillow and I trust the scale. I'm not sure of the pillow size, however. I'll check it when I get home. I did some research last night on alcahol stoves and am intrigued. As far as the wasted fuel, I suspect I would get pretty good at estimating. I'm concerned about the cool weather performance of alcohol, but that will be for only, what, 10% of the hike?

StarMan
01-23-2015, 14:58
Wow, I agree with fastfoxengineering:
ps. I don't even know if you were asking for advice. But after reading your post, my legs and back hurt.

I am getting older and my knees are keeping up with my age.....So, with age comes wisdom.
In order to keep hiking I now walk smarter and along with that lighter.

I will not get into much gear talk here. But, let me just address your big three (pack, shelter and sleeping) My math shows your big 3 weight at over 13 pounds. I went a re-weighed my big three and it came in at just about 5 pounds. Now this is readily available gear - not ultra-light-weight!. That is a savings of over 8 pounds.

On my back, that is a lot of weight.

My my next suggestion is to ditch the Whisperlite. Get a MSR Pocket Rocket or make a Cat Stove. Your pot system alone weighs more than my complete cook system with fuel.

Good luck and happy trimming!

StarMan

CarlZ993
01-23-2015, 15:33
Everyone has their opinion about equipment & pack lists. You'll undoubtedly get conflicting opinions on some issues - Camelbak system (ease of use but heavier & harder to clean) vs. cheap water bottles (very light & inexpensive). You also don't list when you're starting. That could play into some equipment take or don't take scenarios. Also, I don't know what your budget is. If money is no object, you can really whittle the weight down. If money is an object, you can still whittle some weight down but just not get any of the whiz-bang new stuff (cuben fiber, etc). Anyway, a couple things jump out @ me:
- Really heavy pack; I used an ULA Circuit & had plenty of room
- It seems that each piece of clothing seems heavier than it needs to be (maybe excepting the socks)
- 650 down bag = large volume; I'd shoot for 800 down if I could afford it; I used 15 deg bag @ start (3/21) & needed every bit of it in the beginning; later traded out for a summer bag
- Your stuff sacks are heavy (35L sack of clothes?); Ultra-sil Nylon bags (Sea to summit) or Cuben Fiber bags work great.
- Your stove is way too heavy. An alcohol stove or canister stove would work better & be lighter (I used Zelph's Fancee Feast stove & windscreen combo; worked great); if you keep your fuel warm (canisters or alcohol bottle), they'll do okay in cold weather (sleep w/ them in your bag)
- Tent: if you want the Copper Spur, carry the 1-person; other lighter options available (Tarptent, Zpacks, etc).
- earplugs, earplugs, earplugs; you'll encounter some people that can snore so loud they keep everyone up within their zip code
- Pot: lots of lighter options; I'm partial to the 0.9L Evernew titanium pot (short & squat w/o Teflon coating)
- Pillow: their are much lighter options; some use extra clothing & a stuff sack as their pillow (doesn't work well when you're wearing every piece of clothing to stay warm)
- Cordage: lots of different cordage that is lighter & less volume; several examples given in prior posts
- Trowel: the standard orange trowel weighs half as much as the one you listed; a titanium weighs 0.6 oz or so (working on memory)
- Sleeping pad: Ridgerest works fine; a little bulky; there are pads that weigh less, higher R-value, & are more comfy... but, break out your wallet to buy one (NeoAir X-lite really rocks)
- Pack cover: lighter options (or even do without); I had triple redundancy for keeping stuff dry: waterproof stuck sacks for clothing & sleeping bag, trash compactor bag lining pack, & a lightweight pack cover (which only slows down how fast your park gets wet); never got anything wet & I walked through a lot of rain that year
- Water carrying type & capacity: bottles or bladders? personal choice; your bladder system is really heavy; the same volume Platypus system would weight a lot less; two, 1-L Smartwater bottles & a 2-L Platypus (no hose) would weigh about 3.9 oz & have 4L capacity; 3 - 4 liters is sufficient for the AT
- Footwear: I'd say non-waterproof shoes for the entire trail; dries faster; Crocs for camp shoes? Personal preference; I liked mine; others got along fine w/o any camp shoes
- SPOT: if Momma's happy, then everyone's happy; nice for friends & family to track your trip; can be integrated into your on-line blog (did it w/ Postholer.com & Facebook).
- Dirty girl gaiters: keeps junk out of your shoes; weigh hardly anything; they have some really cool designs (don't go boring, go loud!)
- Microspikes: If you're starting early, it might help to carry them until you get to Hot Springs; some of those trails can turn into bobsled runs in early season; I wished I'd carried mine; did a lot of butt sliding & falling due to ice

With all that being said, you can carry a real heavy pack & still successfully complete the AT. It'll just be harder. The laws of physics will always apply (work = force X distance). You can adjust the force (weight). Good luck!!

Jake2c
01-23-2015, 15:45
I am starting in early 2016 also, NOBO. I think I will go with the Kelty Trekker for a backpack. It's 4.5lbs but very comfortable. I have a black diamond 50 which I may switch to when it gets hot as it is lighter but not as comfortable for just clicking of miles. Right now with food, water and everything, I come in at about 35lbs, granted I carry a few things just because I want to such as a Hero camera and small solar charger. I am retired and probably only doing this once so I am willing to take a few pounds more and lengthen the overall hike but enjoy it and record it very carefully. I have seen some people online say they got down to 20lbs but I'm just to old to live that way I guess. Also, I have not asked the weight but the thru hikers I met on the trail are typically carrying a full bag that is pretty large. I doubt they are under 35lbs but I could be wrong. Going as lite as you can within a decent cost is a good goal but adding a pound for comfort is not going to be the reason I don't complete the hike if I don't. It will be a physical mishap, crises at home, or the problem of not preparing what is between my ears well enough.

Havana
01-23-2015, 18:50
I like fastfoxes advice, except for the following:

1) I like an extra pair of socks and liners. You can never take too good a care of your feet. And the boxers could probably stay too. No need to be uncivilized.
2) I have a CS UL1. My son has a CS UL2. He likes more room. I've found the UL1 is fine if you've not already purchased it you might consider the smaller tent.
3) Pack cover -- I can't convince myself to give it up (but I don't use a trash compactor bag).
4) I pack a lightweight fleece as an additional layer and have Patagucci Down Sweater (there are cheaper alternatives). That way you have more layering options.