PDA

View Full Version : cooking in a pot lid/skillet

squeezebox
01-23-2015, 13:25
So what's been your experience cooking on a pot lid/skillet? I have a Snow Peak 3 piece Ti kit. 6" lid, 0.5 & 0.8 L pots, 7 oz.total. I made a cozy from the car sunscreen stuff 1 oz.. And a lid from a tin can as a heat spreader. Ti does not spread heat very well. I will keep my Ti mug, or the smaller pot but not both, probably keep the pot to make sauce, fry onions, drink tea, etc. Cook pasta in the big pot, put in cozy, make sauce, mix, enjoy!
So back to the "skillet", I would think solid stuff like burgers, sausage, sliced potatoes etc, would work, but what about pancakes,other soft stuff? I would think that a piece of Al foil on the skillet would help with clean up. Can you get a spatula in there to flip pancakes? I'm also thinking about biscuits. Can I put a piece of foil inside the lid, put down the biscuits, cover with the pot, stove on simmer. Will that be enough of an oven to "bake " biscuits? Other ideas?

Connie
01-23-2015, 13:50
I have had success with "dollar" size pancakes: I think that is "silver dollar". The pancakes are a little larger.

I have made pan bread, scones, and biscuits only if the pan sits in another pan.

I did use the Guyot Designs plastic spatula. Now, I have a Snow Peak Hybrid Spatula and Spork. I have used a GSI scraper. I recently saw a nice spatula http://www.gofastandlight.com/mobile/Mini-Ultralight-Camp-Cooking-Spatula-Red/productinfo/CL%2DSPAT/

I forgot to say, I have a Vargo Titanium Sierra 750. I make a muffin in an ordinary Snow Peak Sierra cup with no handle. I prefer big scones in the pan. The pan bread is "bannock".

I have put coals on the lid. I melted the little plastic knob.

Banks Fry Bake is the "real deal".

Slo-go'en
01-23-2015, 14:09
I tried to use the Ti lid of my pot to cook on once - didn't work at all.

If you really want a small skillet, Walmart sells a "one egg" pan which is 5" diameter and weighs 5 oz. You can shave off an ounce and making it easier to pack by removing the handle, but then you need a pot grabber thingie. If you want to save another ounce, take a hacksaw and reduce the height a bit, but that is a lot of work.

If you want to make pancakes, you really need a canister stove. Alcohol just doesn't cut it, at least not if it's cold and windy out.

illabelle
01-23-2015, 14:40
I tried to use the Ti lid of my pot to cook on once - didn't work at all.

If you really want a small skillet, Walmart sells a "one egg" pan which is 5" diameter and weighs 5 oz. You can shave off an ounce and making it easier to pack by removing the handle, but then you need a pot grabber thingie. If you want to save another ounce, take a hacksaw and reduce the height a bit, but that is a lot of work.

If you want to make pancakes, you really need a canister stove. Alcohol just doesn't cut it, at least not if it's cold and windy out.

Agree. Ours is a canister stove, and we carry a small skillet with the handle cut off (a little larger than the one-egg pan). Cooking for two, the weight is worth it for the variety it adds to our meals. Instead of potato mush, pasta mush, oatmeal mush, and rice mush, we can enjoy crispy fried potatoes, fried rice, vege-burgers, sauteed veggies, and yes, pancakes. I also use cornbread mix or muffin mix, add water (forget about the egg + milk instructions on the package) and fix them like pancakes. Not bad at all.

Dochartaigh
01-23-2015, 14:51
I have the Toaks 145mm (~5.7") frying pan / lid (weighs 6.13 ounces total with the accompanying 1350ml pot). You can totally make pancakes on it (the only thing I really do with mine), but it is a lot harder with a small pan. I usually make 1 pancake at a time, and make sure the batter is a little back from the sides so I can fit a spatula in there to flip it over.

The lightest spatula I've found is the Jetboil folding spatula at .49 ounces (comes as a set with folding spoon and fork). Second to that is the MSR folding spatula at .77 ounces.

For baking, I've made biscuits in my regular pot (with the frying pan lid on top to trap in heat). Never tried it in the lid itself.

Tuckahoe
01-23-2015, 16:16
A few years ago, I tried out one of the Snow Peak cook pots with fry pan lid. For myself, it never got past the at home testing. I suppose the idea is good, but I found that the size of the cook pot dictated the dimensions of the lid as a fry pan, and as a result I always felt that the pan was too small and the handle too minimal. You'd end up wasting a morning cooking up silver QUARTER sized pancakes one at a time.

In the years since i have settled into an Imusa pot, cozy and alcohol stove.

If i were to seriously consider a frying pan, I would go for the T-Fal brand one egg wonder fry pan (I already use one at home), or their mini cheese griddle. They're actual workable mini cookware.

http://www.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Cookware/Nonstick+Cookware/Products/One+Egg+Wonder/Specialty+One+Egg+Wonder.htm

http://www.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Cookware/Nonstick+Cookware/Products/Mini+Grilled+Cheese+Griddle/Mini+Grilled+Cheese+Griddle.htm

Connie
01-23-2015, 16:34
I had the T-Fal Mini Cheese Griddle http://www.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Cookware/Nonstick+Cookware/Products/Mini+Grilled+Cheese+Griddle/Mini+Grilled+Cheese+Griddle.htm

It is excellent.

I removed the handle.

Dochartaigh
01-23-2015, 16:52
A few years ago, I tried out one of the Snow Peak cook pots with fry pan lid. For myself, it never got past the at home testing.

Just wondering if you were using a smaller diameter pots The two T-Fal items you linked to are 4.5", and 6.5" wide. I purposely got the biggest Toaks pot they had at 5.7". Makes all the difference in the world (vs. something even an inch or two smaller) when you have to flip something like a pancake over. Still sucks compared to full-size frying pans, but completely doable (and my pancakes are 5" diameter; that's a good size!)

Maui Rhino
01-24-2015, 06:08
I use the SnowPeak 900ml ti pot with skillet/lid. I've only ever used the skillet to fry up trout and it worked well enough for me. I wrapped the fish in foil with ghee, sea salt, and Mrs. Dash. Its a small and deep skillet, so I carried a 4" tongs to grab the fish instead of a spatula. Maybe one day I'll try making pancakes...

tiptoe
01-24-2015, 13:36
I've never tried to cook in my little fry pan, but most evenings I use it on top of my main pot to boil water for tea at the same time I'm cooking supper, and it has worked well for that.