PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Cost from Harpers Ferry to DCA (Reagan National) vs Amtrak reliability

lilbear
01-23-2015, 16:30
Hi all, I'm trying to weigh my options on transport from Harpers Ferry to Reagan National on a Saturday. If the amtrak is on time, I'll be good to go, but I've heard it tends to run a bit late.

In your experience, a) estimate of shuttle from Harpers Ferry to DCA- I'm guessing around $80 and b) has the amtrak tended to be late on Saturdays, if so, how late?

Thanks!

Tuckahoe
01-23-2015, 16:38
This past year the few times I took the Capitol Limited out of Harpers Ferry to DC, it ran as much as 4+ hours late arriving at HF.

ETA -- I just checked today's 30 Capitol Limited and it was 1 hr 7 min late arriving at HF and it made up a little time arriving 35 min late to DC. You can check train status at amtrak.com.

tiptoe
01-23-2015, 16:43
Instead of the Amtrak, consider taking a commuter train from Union Station to Harpers Ferry. I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper. The trains run outbound Mon-Fri from DC during the afternoon rush hour. You can then spend the night in Harpers Ferry and start fresh in the morning.

http://mdtrip.org/DesktopModules/SchedulesAndMaps/ViewRouteFile.ashx?type=s&Route=377&User=282

Tuckahoe
01-23-2015, 16:45
Instead of the Amtrak, consider taking a commuter train from Union Station to Harpers Ferry. I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper. The trains run outbound Mon-Fri from DC during the afternoon rush hour. You can then spend the night in Harpers Ferry and start fresh in the morning.

http://mdtrip.org/DesktopModules/SchedulesAndMaps/ViewRouteFile.ashx?type=s&Route=377&User=282

She's looking to get back to DC from Harpers Ferry on a Saturday.

lilbear
01-23-2015, 16:47
Unfortunately, due to change in other life plans, I had to bump my trip 8 days. Originally I was planning to use commuter trains to and from DC. Now will only have that luxury on the way into HF on a Tuesday, but not to DC since that'll be on a Saturday.

lilbear
01-23-2015, 16:48
This past year the few times I took the Capitol Limited out of Harpers Ferry to DC, it ran as much as 4+ hours late arriving at HF.

ETA -- I just checked today's 30 Capitol Limited and it was 1 hr 7 min late arriving at HF and it made up a little time arriving 35 min late to DC. You can check train status at amtrak.com.

Thanks, good to know I could at least check status.

tiptoe
01-23-2015, 16:55
She's looking to get back to DC from Harpers Ferry on a Saturday.

Yes, I misread the OP's post. Apologies.

Tuckahoe
01-23-2015, 16:59
Here is a list of shuttlers from the ATC. I have used Mark "Strings" Cusic for shuttles. I believe he is on page 9.

Coffee
01-23-2015, 17:49
A shuttle to Dulles might be cheaper. Then take Metrobus 5A to Rosslyn ($7) and transfer to Metrorail Blue Line (~$2). I use 5A frequently. Very reliable. Metrorail is usually ok on weekends but there is sometimes track work that results in less frequent trains, but still usually at least every 20 minutes.

Odd Man Out
01-23-2015, 17:58
If you were paying for a driver, you could consider getting dropped off at the last Metro stop (Shady Grove) and take the Metro from there (transfer to yellow line at Gallery Place). It would cut about 25 miles of driving off the commute.

lilbear
01-23-2015, 17:59
A shuttle to Dulles might be cheaper. Then take Metrobus 5A to Rosslyn ($7) and transfer to Metrorail Blue Line (~$2). I use 5A frequently. Very reliable. Metrorail is usually ok on weekends but there is sometimes track work that results in less frequent trains, but still usually at least every 20 minutes.

Thanks- already have a flight out of DCA though. My Mon-Fri plans which were all squared away got mucked up by life. Tues-Sat is proving to be a little more complicated... Or at the very least, a little more tempting of the missed-flight-fates since my flight is at 445.

lilbear
01-23-2015, 18:00
If you were paying for a driver, you could consider getting dropped off at the last Metro stop (Shady Grove) and take the Metro from there (transfer to yellow line at Gallery Place). It would cut about 25 miles of driving off the commute.

Thanks, had considered this too. Thanks for the exact stops though, super helpful!

lilbear
01-23-2015, 18:00
Here is a list of shuttlers from the ATC. I have used Mark "Strings" Cusic for shuttles. I believe he is on page 9.

Thanks! I'd actually emailed Strings a week ago to get an estimate, hoping to hear back!

Sugarfoot
01-24-2015, 09:49
LilBear would be going from Union Station in Washington out to Harpers Ferry. Since the AmTrak Capital Express originates in Washington, it has better odds of being leaving on time and getting to Harpers Ferry on time than catching it from Harpers Ferry into Washington. The Capital Express into Washington originates in Chicago, so there's lots of time for problems and delays. I've taken it twice, once flying into National (which some call Reagan), taking the Metro into Union Station (you need to transfer once), and then AmTrak out to Harpers Ferry. The second time, I took AmTrak from Lancaster, PA to Philadelphia to Union Station. Both times, I got into Harpers Ferry within 15 minutes of the scheduled time.

Odd Man Out
01-24-2015, 14:54
Thanks, had considered this too. Thanks for the exact stops though, super helpful!

Just make sure you are going in the right direction when you transfer. It can be very disorienting in those subway tunnels. But in general the DC Metro is super-easy to use. Just Google DC Metro Map.

Treehugger
02-03-2015, 21:04
Depending on when you are going lilbear, I may be able to help you out with a ride. I live nearby. I leave on my thru April 4 so if I can assist you before that PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilbear
02-07-2015, 14:55
[QUOTE=Treehugger;1943166]Depending on when you are going lilbear, I may be able to help you out with a ride. I live nearby. I leave on my thru April 4 so if I can assist you before that PM me.

Thanks, Treehugger! I'm there mid-April, but I appreciate the offer! Good luck and safe trails on your thruhike!