PDA

View Full Version : Methods to Arrange Your Pack?

LonghornAT
01-23-2015, 17:57
How do you arrange your pack? I have thought about putting my clothes in my cuben fiber sacks, but the cylinder shape doesn't conform very well to my pack. Also heard some people loosely pack their clothes into gaps. In regards to my tent, I find that it fits best on the exterior straps meant for a sleeping pad. My term-a-rest inflatable barely fits since it's short (I'm worried about it slipping out). Is it recommend to stow my tent on the exterior? Pack is an Osprey Atmos 65 and tent is a Copper Spur UL1. Sleeping bag fits in the designed sleeping bag compartment.

What's your method?

swjohnsey
01-23-2015, 19:07
Nothing on the outside if you can swing it. Stuff that won't be used 'til nightfall in the bottom. Food for the day on the top. Rain gear, pack cover where you can get to them in a hurry, outside pocket if you have one.

Connie
01-23-2015, 19:50
There are rectangular shape and more of a square shape cuben roll-top stuff sacks.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

Granite Gear has a number of different shapes in lightweight materials "stuff sacks".

I like putting the tarp, tent, or, rainwear in the mesh pocket on the outside of the backpack.

I tie it or attach it to the elastic cordage with a fastener like a mitten hook, or, a small plastic carabiner.

HeartFire
01-23-2015, 19:58
Similar to the above comment, I use a compactor trash bag in the bottom of my pack, my sleeping bag goes in there, (in a compression stuff sack) then I pack my clothes into the spaces around it. Anything else that absolutely cannot get wet foes inside the compactor bag, then I fold it over and roll it closed. next my heavy stuff - food, stove etc goes in. My tent goes on top because when I stop for the night, the first thing I need to get out is my tent. also, if it gets wet overnight, and I want to dry it out during the day, it's right there on top. Food- lunch, snacks are on top somewhere easily accessible, and rain gear where I can quickly get to it. Women generally do better with the heavy stuff (food and water) at their lower back and close to the back, men can carry the heavy stuff higher up - we have different centers of gravity so the balance is different. You CAN put your tent on the outside if you want to, but if you can fit it inside, there is less likelihood of damage to it

LonghornAT
01-23-2015, 20:56
Thanks for the info!

RangerZ
01-23-2015, 22:07
How do you arrange your pack? I have thought about putting my clothes in my cuben fiber sacks, but the cylinder shape doesn't conform very well to my pack. Also heard some people loosely pack their clothes into gaps. In regards to my tent, I find that it fits best on the exterior straps meant for a sleeping pad. My term-a-rest inflatable barely fits since it's short (I'm worried about it slipping out). Is it recommend to stow my tent on the exterior? Pack is an Osprey Atmos 65 and tent is a Copper Spur UL1. Sleeping bag fits in the designed sleeping bag compartment.

What's your method?

I have an Atmos 65 and CS1 also.

Compactor bag goes in pack. CS1 footprint, tent and fly go in the tent stuff sack, goes in bag (if dry) on right side, if wet outside of compactor bag. Sleeping bag goes in compression bag in sleeping bag compartment, down jacket in compression bag fits also - set zippers for easy access to jacket. Clothes bag, food bag, filter bag, pot/stove bag stack on left side. Lunch food goes on top, with maybe jacket under lid if I just took it off. Wind shirt/jacket goes in left zipper pocket, tyveck tarp folded up to be tent "welcome mat" goes in right zipper pocket, fire starter stuff under it. Camp shoes in back mesh pocket. Tent poles without bag goes in left pocket with stakes in their bag, fuel bottle and water bag in right pocket. Snacks in hip belt pockets but I have a hard time getting to them.

Thermarest Z lite bungee corded vertically on back of pack.

Water reservoir in pocket against back. Repair kit under it in pocket, don't need it every day (or yet even).

First aid, hygiene, head lamp, meds go in lid. Small important stuff (phone, compass if I'm not using it) in mesh pocket inside lid. Was putting hiker wallet there also but now putting in back pocket if I have one.

Yes I like stuff sacks for organization, others don't. For me it helps with the take it out, use it, put it back method.

Works for me, I'm taking it out tomorrow, YMMV. Like others have said here at WB, get out and do it, figure out what works for you.

Can't see the inside but here's the whole thing.

July
01-23-2015, 22:39
[QUOTE=RangerZ;1940141]I have an Atmos 65 and CS1 also.

Snacks in hip belt pockets but I have a hard time getting to them.

I have found them a little difficult to access also Ranger, added a shoulder strap pouch{s}. Never thought I would like it but it has worked out well. Basically for snacks/camera. Everything else, does not require such quick access.

RangerZ
01-23-2015, 22:57
[QUOTE=RangerZ;1940141]I have an Atmos 65 and CS1 also.

Snacks in hip belt pockets but I have a hard time getting to them.

I have found them a little difficult to access also Ranger, added a shoulder strap pouch{s}. Never thought I would like it but it has worked out well. Basically for snacks/camera. Everything else, does not require such quick access.

Thinking about that also for snacks/camera, get camera/notebook out of my pockets, camera on dummy cord so it doesn't drop out. I never liked a lot of things hanging off me, though.

Have to have hand sanitizer on pack strap though. If you don't have it you can't use it, if you have it you might/will use it if it's accessible.
Besides, if you have more volume you'll just add more stuff.

Firefighter503
01-23-2015, 23:17
I've posted this several times before when this question has come up:

Ohm 2.0 here. How I pack (in order):

In main compartment (in pack liner):
Sleeping Bag (no stuff sack)
Clothes bag (in stuff sack, but loose)
Sleeping pad (neo air, rolled)

On top of pack liner:
Tent/Tent Stakes
Food bag/mess kit

Back Mesh Pocket:
Ditty bag (IFAK, TP, car keys, etc.)
Rain Jacket/Pants

Left pack pocket (as I wear it):
Fuel container(s)
Rolled up/unused water bladders (collapsible)
Bourbon (!!!)

Right pack pocket (as I wear it):
Drinking water (collapsible)

Left hip pocket:
Bear bag cord
Head Lamp
iPhone and/or Camera
Guidebook Pages

Right hip pocket:
Hand Sanitizer
Aqua Mira
Lighter
Knife
Snacks for the day

Packing like this keeps the things I need during the day/in a hurry easily accessible, and the gear I won't need except in camp dry/out of the way. I can get to camp, put on my rain jacket if its a little chilly/wet, set up my tent, and then unpack everything else under cover/out of the rain. I used to use a lot of stuff sacks for all the different pieces of gear, but the pack doesn't pack near as nicely with all of the hardish shapes. With one bag for food, one bag for clothes (bonus: pillow), and one bag for small items, I still know where everything is when I need it, but the pack is much more uniform in shape. It takes a little time to find a system that works for you, but once you find it, it's smooth sailing... er... hiking.

July
01-23-2015, 23:18
[QUOTE=July;1940153]

Thinking about that also for snacks/camera, get camera/notebook out of my pockets, camera on dummy cord so it doesn't drop out. I never liked a lot of things hanging off me, though.

Have to have hand sanitizer on pack strap though. If you don't have it you can't use it, if you have it you might/will use it if it's accessible.
Besides, if you have more volume you'll just add more stuff.

Over time I have always used independant/detatchable hip belt pockets, attached w/ dummy cord. They can be pushed to the rear of the belt, or pulled round to the buckle to access, and I prefer this way. But with all that said, sometimes you need to capture a pic quick, shoulder pouch is easy and handy. I tried keeping my camera, etc, in my shorts pocket but I hate feeling all that crap hittin me in the legs every step I take. Taking pics and snacking trail mix I like to do on the go, as opposed to stopping for water resupply.

burger
01-24-2015, 00:52
Here's a really simple piece of advice: if you have enough clothing to fill a bulky stuff sack, maybe take less clothing.

Alternately, take a bigger stuff sack for clothes. I put my clothes (which are admittedly quite minimalist) into a medium-sized stuff sack with much room to spare, so the sack is easy to maneuver into any space I have available. You might do better just by switching to a larger stuff sack. The weight difference between small and large silnylon stuff sacks should be under one ounce--a small penalty to pay for better packing options.

squeezebox
01-25-2015, 23:20
Just do Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Sleeping stuff goes on the bottom. Clothes you won't wear today,( rain gear on a sunny day, etc.) breakfast and dinner food. On top goes -- snacks, water , rain gear on a wet day. wet tent goes on top so you can dry it out. Adjust as needed!!

Old Hiker
01-26-2015, 08:38
I'm fairly unusual and my pack is as well. I have a JanSport Klamath 75. I'm not too sure about it, as it's a warranty replacement of my older, same model one. Upgrades, etc. take getting used to. It's an almost 4 pound pack, as well.

Bottom up:
Inside the bottom sleeping bag compartment, I store my tent (LightHeart Gear SoLong 6) in its bag and kitchen: my stove, pots, gas canister, etc. in another zippered light weight bag.

Main compartment from the bottom: sleeping bag in a waterproof compression sack, then my waterproof compression sacks with extra clothing, then my food bag. The drawstring is closed and a water bottle is placed under the lid.
Lid: rain gear, maps, extra bandana, daily use odds and ends, all in zip locs.

Center pocket outside: meds and first aid kit in zip locs, trowel.

Side pocket: water filter with room to spare

Side pocket: “personal poopy products”, i.e. TP, hand wipes, germ-X, soap sheets in a zip loc. There is room to spare in this pocket as well.

A couple of candy bars, granola bars or whatever goes in one mesh pocket. The other mesh pocket has my compass (tied to a cord and clipped to a strap somewhere on the pack) and my tent poles rest in the bottom of this pocket and go up through the compression strap on the outside of the pack.

Thermarest Ridgerest pad is rolled up and placed under the lid straps. There is a ‘biner attached to the eyelet on the strap that is clipped to a strap on the pack.

I have a bag that carries one water bottle attached to the left side of my hip belt so I can reach it during hiking.

Camera bag attached to the sternum strap so I can pull out my small digital camera quickly.

12trysomething
01-26-2015, 09:45
Here is a video I did showing how I do mine. I hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/HTTon3JunJY

Rob

KimmyWasHere
01-26-2015, 10:48
Extra clothes, footprint go in the bottom. Tent goes in middle, clothes go on the outer side of the tent while stove & cookwear and food go on the opposite toward my back (against my camelbak pocket). Anything i may need quick access to during the day (jacket, snacks, extra water go on top). Hygiene items & first aid go in one side pocket, snacks, headlamp go in the other. Rain gear goes in back mesh attached with a small carabiner. Sleeping bag goes in the brain.

squeezebox
01-26-2015, 11:26
Remember heavy stuff goes closest to the center of gravity.

OwenM
01-26-2015, 12:33
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9600/w3l9Ps.jpg
That's my lidless Osprey Exos 38 with about 3 days worth of food, plus gear and clothing for lows ~30 and highs ~50.
It changes some, but since I posted a pic, I'll go with what was actually in the pack at the time.

Outside:
-Tarptent Notch w/semi-solid inner on bottom
-cut down ThermaRest ZLite for sitpad and poop kit with trowel in rear stretch pocket
-water bottles in side mesh pockets

Inside(in an OR ultralight waterproof pack liner):
Bottom:
-Katabatic Palisade quilt and Goosefeet down hood in stuff sack

Second Layer:
-Exped Downmat UL7 with cord for attaching the quilt and the Schnozzle pump bag, laying horizontal
-Snow Peak 700 mug in a ZPacks stuff sack vertical. Hotlips, mini Bic, firesteel, 8 hexamine tabs, 2 1oz containers with denatured alcohol, Four Dog Bushcooker LT Mini stove, ti windscreen, and pot supports, a folding spoon, and a bandana all stored inside the mug.
-On the outside of those, my clothes bag with long baselayers, socks, glove liners, spare Buff and a beanie

Third Layer:
-Food bag(OR stuff sack) laying horizontal.
-Outside the food bag, an OR Helium HD shell(goes on top of everything outside the pack liner when rain is threatening) and OR Rampart rainpants

Top Layer:
-First Aid/Emergency kit in a 1qt freezer bag
-Sawyer Mini and 1.5L Evernew bag in a cut-off 1L bottle inside a small stuff sack
-small cuben drybag with items I want to keep together(keys, phone, wallet, passes/permits, batteries, etc).
-sunglass case with headlamp. I wear sunglasses 'til almost dark. Glasses come off, headlamp goes on.
-OR Filament down pullover

CarlZ993
01-26-2015, 16:00
My technique for packing my pack (ULA Circuit):
Main section - Trash Compactor bag lining the pack; dry bags for sleeping bag & clothing inserted vertically; tent (if using double-wall tent) w/o poles wedged between (if it rained the previous night or expected it to rain by the time I get to camp, I'd pack the rain fly & ground sheet above the compactor bag in its own stuck sack); NeoAir pad inserted between bags; loose items shoved in the nooks & crannies; stove & pot. Above trash compactor bag - food bag, TP, platypus (usually empty), rain gear.
Side wand pocket (right) - 1-L roll-top stuff sack w/ day's snacks/lunch, olive oil bottle
Side wand pocket (left) - fuel bottle, trowel (w/ lanyard), spare empty water bottle
Hip belt pocket (right) - Aquamira & sunscreen
Hip belt pocket (left) - GPS & other knickknacks
On hip belt - camera case & two water bottle carriers (w/ water bottles)
In front stuff pocket - sunglasses, pack cover, any clothing removed while hiking, tent poles, & other misc knickknacks that I might need during the day
On top of pack - sit pad w/ Crocs dangling to the back.

Ktaadn
01-26-2015, 16:49
Sleeping bag in the bottom. Tent on top of that to the right. Clothes on top of the sleeping bag to the left. Food bag on top of that. Rain gear and water bottle are in mesh pockets on either side of my pack. Map and camera are in my pants/shorts pockets. Nothing is in a stuff sack. Sleeping bag and clothes are in plastic grocery bags.

ccartertn
01-29-2015, 14:00
That's my lidless Osprey Exos 38 with about 3 days worth of food, plus gear and clothing for lows ~30 and highs ~50.

I have the Osprey Exos 48 - I like the detachable lid (brain). However, right now I use it for my quick access stuff like headlamp, snack bag, poop kit, etc.
Do you ever leave the lid on? What's the criteria that determines you taking it off?

What do you put in the hip strap pockets? I haven't figured out what I want to put there yet. Camera? Bug spray?

Lastly, do you do anything with the mesh pockets on the shoulder straps?

Thanks
CC

OwenM
02-02-2015, 02:18
Hip pockets, whatever. Nothing particular. Sometimes a snack, maybe the camera when it's warm. I keep a little Joby Gorillapod in one shoulder strap pocket. Sometimes put a Sawyer Mini and straw in the other when I'm hiking where there's lots of water-then I just drink directly instead of carrying any. That's not really a regular thing. I wear a ZPacks Multi-Pack as a chest pack(really over my belly) when it's cool to cold weather, and it holds the stuff I would put in a lid. I'd use the lid if I needed more room-say if I decided to do a weeklong trip in warm weather, then my "top layer" would be in the lid to make room for food.

Country Roads
02-03-2015, 20:07
I line my pack with a heavy-duty garbage bag, put all my fluffy stuff and clothes in it, push down and compress the stuff and get most of the air out, twist the bag and fold the end over. Sack acts as a compression dry bag. I can compress the bulky clothes, sleeping bag, quilts, etc and use up every bit of space in the bottom of the pack. Stuff sacks leave little bits of unused space; the round peg in a square hole kind of thing. Bonus with this system: It saves the weight of all those stuff bags. You do have to use the last in first out or first in last out mode of packing. Have used this system for several years and it works very well for me.

Nooga
02-07-2015, 11:51
Similar to the above comment, I use a compactor trash bag in the bottom of my pack, my sleeping bag goes in there, (in a compression stuff sack) then I pack my clothes into the spaces around it. Anything else that absolutely cannot get wet foes inside the compactor bag, then I fold it over and roll it closed. next my heavy stuff - food, stove etc goes in. My tent goes on top because when I stop for the night, the first thing I need to get out is my tent. also, if it gets wet overnight, and I want to dry it out during the day, it's right there on top. Food- lunch, snacks are on top somewhere easily accessible, and rain gear where I can quickly get to it. Women generally do better with the heavy stuff (food and water) at their lower back and close to the back, men can carry the heavy stuff higher up - we have different centers of gravity so the balance is different. You CAN put your tent on the outside if you want to, but if you can fit it inside, there is less likelihood of damage to it

Agree. Everything in a compactor trash bag on the bottom. Food and tent on top of compactor trash bag.

300winmag
02-07-2015, 23:34
Osprey EXOS 58 pack
1. Silnylon front "wet rib" pouch W/bottle holder by "Seek Outside" (May be out of production now.)-> Great for maps, compass, GPS & water purification gear
2. Granite Gear sizeMedium side pockets -> For "need now" gear like potty kit, 1st aid kit, stove kit, etc.
3. Captive bottom straps -> If I need to pack my Thermarest outside B/C of a bear can inside.

The bottom straps for the mattress is the ONLY thing I strap outside the pack that is not a pocket.