PDA

View Full Version : February 20th, 2015 NOBO Thru-Hike Gear List - What do ya think?

NoSew
01-23-2015, 18:11
So here it is! I am leaving February 20th from Springer. I know alot of people may frown at the idea of a 1 pound rain jacket and 10 oz. rain pants, but I'm going to do my best to stay dry when its freezing cold! The Foray rain jacket will be swapped out for a Helium II when the weather is appropriate. The wool base layers will be swapped out for lightweight capilene once it warms up. I will also swap out my sleeping bag for a 32 degree bag and lose the Denali gloves when it warms up.Those are my plans and I would appreciate ANY input/advice. I did a 'shakedown' over the past few days in NC and was very pleased with my sleeping situation and the weight on my back.

Cold Season Base Pack

Item

Weight

Ounces

Tarptent Double Rainbow

GoLite Jam70

Mountain Hardware Phantom 0

Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (Long)

Minuss 33 Mid Weight Merino Top

Minuss 33 Mid Weight Merino Bottom

Smartwool Mid Weight Socks

Smartwool Heavy Camp Socks

Smartwool Balaclava

Mountain Hardware Dome Perinion (Beanie)

Outdoor Research Foray Rain Jacket

Outdoor Research Foray Rain Pants

Outdoor Research Revel Rain Mitts

The North Face Denali Gloves

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket

Smartwool Liner Gloves

Samsung Galaxy S5

AnkerŪ Astro E1 5200mAh Charger

Amazon Kindle

Charging Accessories

3 Liter Outdoor Products Dry Bag

5 Liter Outdoor Products Dry Bag

8 Liter Outdoor Products Dry Bag

8 Liter Sea To Summit Dry Bag

Sawyer Squeeze Mini

Sawyer Squeeze Plunger and Straw

Sawyer 2 Liter Flask

1 Liter Smartwater

50 Feet of Paracord

MSR Pocket Rocket

Stove Fuel

850 mL Titanium Pot

Homeade Pot Cozy

GSI Plastic Spoon

2 mini bic lighters

ATC Thru Hikers Companion (1/2)

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp

First Aid Kit

Leatherman Micra

Hand Sanitizer

Sunblock

Toothbrush and Toothpaste

Dr. Bronners

PackTowel

Buff

Journal and Pen

In Pounds

Total Weight in Pack

Salomon Comet GTX (Boots)

Smartwool T Shirt

Prana Stretch Zion Convertible

Smartwool Mid Weight Socks

Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles

Sprout78
01-23-2015, 18:52
I'm leaving around the 24th, and this list is very similar to what I'm bringing. Here are my suggestions/suggestions I've gotten from others. I hope you get as much help from them as they gave me!!

1. Someone suggested I bring three pairs of socks, along with my "sleeping socks."
2. Everyone told me it was overkill to bring three head coverings (beanie, balaclava, and buff-in your case), particularly with the opportunity for hoods on your rain jacket and ghost whisperer. I chose to have a merino wool buff, along with my hoods-ditched the beanie and balaclava.
3. Someone told me that you don't have to bring the Sawyer straw and plunger if you have a Smart Water bottle. There is a way to back-flush with the bottle. Also, the mini doesn't get clogged for the first while you are on the trail.
4. You could probably get away with 1/4 of the guidebook-cut it at Damascus.
5. What's in your First Aid Kit?
6. Someone suggested to me that Dr. Bronner's (peppermint) can triple for toothpaste, soap, and hand sanitizer. I had all three in my gear advice video, as well. I tried it out for a toothpaste, and it wasn't bad, so I ditched my toothpaste. I don't want Noro, so nobody could convince me to give up the hand sani :)
7. Someone suggested I blog/write a journal on my Kindle or phone. There is a White Blaze App. I have personal reasons for bringing a journal, but I got a skinny moleskin (pack of three) to use/send home as I finish them.
8. The last suggestion I received was to bring Micro-spikes, especially if you are starting as early as we are!

Perhaps, I will see you out there! So exciting!

NoSew
01-23-2015, 19:04
Thanks for the feedback! I just got back from a 3 night trip testing all my gear, and I had a blast! My down jacket doesn't have a hood, and the balaclava wool balaclava was amazing to sleep in, I used my sleeping bag like a quilt. Most of the weight in the first aid kit is about 30 glucosamine/chondroitin joint pills for my knees, a must for me! I also have some basic pills, blister band aids, and earplugs. Hope to see you out there and let me know if ya have any other advice/questions for me.

NoSew
01-24-2015, 14:45
Any suggestions on microspikes for the trail? Are they necessary in February?

smoothsailin
02-09-2015, 18:03
I've hiked over 3500mi on the AT. I've attemped sobo/nobo/ff. I've been through the Smokies in various seasons.
In 2013, it snowed on day 2 and didn't stop until Northern VA. I walked across solid ice covered trails , frozen snow. My water would freeze 15min after getting it and my shoes were frozen 4 days in a row. I walked in ankle deep slush for days.

I would not start a hike before April with a 32 deg bag. I made it through to Gatlinburg in 2013 with a 32 & liner. I upgraded to a 10deg. You'll be too cold to sleep good and that's a problem..not that you'll freeze to death...that won't happen but you won't sleep good.
Microspikes....yeah..I'd carry them...better to have than not to have. The southern Appalachians regularly get wet/snow/icey storms up until May. If you get lot of snow and it freezes, it'll be full of hiker foot holes and when it's frozen..it's a huge pain to walk on.
I'd carry 4 pair of socks. Some nice warm fleece pants for camp. Extra fuel. Extra food.
Winter time is not the time to get all ultra lighty ...go lite...go freeze...

Less is more but zero is not enough.
I prefer to be strong and carry more weight than to be UL. 35lb in winter sounds right to me....25lb non-winter. My speed is the same regardless unless the weight is over 35lb.

I'd rather be nice and warm with a solid tent & maybe an extra tarp in winter than to be curled up in a ball freezing in some tarp tent or shelter.
A good tent will add 4-8 deg. Extra fuel and food means I don't have to worry.
With a late Feb start...you'll be in alot of winter weather....hence why most people wait until April....start in march - it's a coin toss.