PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie, looking for gear advice/help

IWouldWalk2000Miles
01-23-2015, 20:15
Hello, fellow hikers. I'm new here, as well as to hiking, but I've been reading as much information about the AT as I could find, for the past week or so from different online sources. I learned of the AT thru-hike by chance, stumbling upon a blog of someone who had completed it. http://wheresthenextshelter.com/

I am a worrier by nature, the biggest challenge for me will be feeling like I am "complete" and ready enough to hit the trail. I've looked over many of the threads here, and the gear lists are daunting. There are so many choices, pricing variations, I've read a lot, but I'm not sure I understand it all or know what's right for me (being new) and my budget.

I am planning a 2016 NOBO thru-hike, starting in mid-March. I want to give myself enough time to reach Maine, #1 because I'm totally new to hiking, and #2 I don't want to feel pressured while making the journey. I never want to feel like I have to keep a quicker pace than I have set for myself because of time limitations.

Would any past thru-hikers be willing to help me compile a gear list? I haven't seen anyone give an estimation of how much 0 to ready, gear-wise, should cost? I have read that $3-4,500 is sufficient for the actual trail, but how much will gear cost? Should $1,500-2,000 cover everything? If not, how much am I looking at?

Because I'm a constant-worrier, when I see users list things like "head lamp", I know I might need one, but I have no idea what model/price is reasonable, not to mention weight. There are just so many choices, I know if left to my own devices that I will end up completely fubared.

Connie
01-23-2015, 20:50
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22273

I have no raingear listed: I would have a LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover and Rain Skirt.

I paid $209 for the backpack, $249 for the down quilt, $119 for the NeoAir XTherm small. The cuben tarp listed is $169. I like a "flying diamond" or asymmetrical pitch tarp. There is a more standard cuben tarp at eBay for $149.

This was the most careful shopping list for lightweight equipment, I could achieve, for me.

I need this backpack, for rain and for bushwacking on the PNT trail.

The AT is a groomed trail. The backpack price however will be close.

If interested in lightweight, you might lookup the other items prices.

At minimum, you will need to replace shoes and socks more than once.

I recommend the Sawyer Squeeze for the AT, not the Sawyer Mini. The other differences are preference only, unless you need to plan for less than 20 F or you will experience hot weather. I am quite comfortable to 65 F. This is the typical temperature range of the mountains where I will hike.

I think you will find sales and coupons, if you signup with email for sales.

I recommend Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry.

REI membership sales help, as may be the dividend.

I recommend selective, not one-stop, shopping.

I would love to find one outfitter that had the best of everything. I haven't.

4shot
01-23-2015, 20:57
I would say that you could outfit for $1k or so. certainly $2K.

Here is the conundrum for a new hiker, especially one who is a self confessed 'newb' - how do you know what to get if you haven't backpacked? And how can you backpack if you don't have the stuff? Before you go sinking that kind of money, go to an outfitter or REI. Make sure that you have talked to someone who has thru hiked, whether it be the PCT, CDT or AT. You will want to discuss the "critical" items - tent (or other shelter such as hammock/tarp), pack, and sleeping bag/pad. A thruhiker will know which brands are designed for extensive usage and mileage and which are more suited for weekend use. Do not buy anything on your first trip. Or your second. Or even 3rd.

General thoughts: 1) you will not regret spending more for the right brands. In fact, that will save you money as you will probably end up with it anyway. 2) Lighter is generally better but it has to be comfortable and work for you. A 3 1/2 lb. pack that fits just right is infinitely better than a 2 lb. pack that doesn't. 3) ignore the gear heads - alot of the chatter is the equivalent of the "Ford" vs. "Chevy" debate. Enthusiasts are loyal to their brands and can be annoying about it.

Now, before you buy anything - borrow or rent some stuff. rei rents out gear in some places. I know my local outfitter does as well.Take a couple of overnight or weekend trips. See if you like it (you wouldn't believe it from reading this site, but some people do not). Keep reading this site. As a general rule, you will sort of pick up the most used and trusted brand names. This may help you out. Take your time.

And lastly, most (or even none of us) get it right from the get go. It takes time and experience to figure out what you like and don't like. Used gear (check out the gear for sale forum) can help this process along. You can try used gear and sell it as you journey along as the quality stuff retains value fairly well. after you settle on the big ticket items, then you can start thinking about stoves, headlamps, etc.

relax and enjoy it. It's pretty hard to end up fubared. Asking for advice is a great way to prevent that.

and welcome to the site.

Praha4
01-23-2015, 21:01
You live in Rocky Mountain country. Great place to go hiking and try out different gear, clothing and footwear. You will see a lot of different opinions and suggested items here on WB. For a newbie, my biggest suggestion would be to not go hog wild Ultra-Light right away, bordering on "stupid-light" as Andrew Skurka says.

Here's a couple good books that you could read on Hiking. Both hikers, Justin Lichter and Andrew Skurka, are well known long distance hikers who have thousands of miles hiking experience. Both make great suggestions and recomendations, well worth having in your library, and maybe help you avoid mistakes.

a. "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide" by Andrew Skurka.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Hikers-Gear-Guide/dp/1426209207

b. "Trail Tested: A Thru Hikers Guide to Ultralight Hiking and Backpacking", by Justin Lichter "Trauma"
http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tested-Thru-Hikers-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/076278783X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422061138&sr=1-1&keywords=justin+lichter&pebp=1422061143592&peasin=076278783X

good luck

illabelle
01-23-2015, 21:03
Wow, where to start?
1. Worry doesn't accomplish anything. As is often said, "it's just walking", so really it doesn't matter what type of head lamp you get or what you spend for it. Same thing applies to a hundred other things.
2. New to hiking? or just new to backpacking? If you're truly new to hiking, don't buy a thing. Just go outdoors and take a walk in the Colorado hills. I'm sure you've got miles of trails within a short drive that you can explore. Find out if you even like hiking before you go further with it.
3. If you find that you like hiking and want to explore backpacking, find someone who will let you borrow some equipment and tag along with them on an overnight trip. See if you like it.
4. If you find that you like backpacking, then start buying your own gear. Use it in your backyard or on a weekend trip to see what works for you.

See how this is going? Step by step. Same thing on the trail, one step at a time. Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
Others will chime in with links to gear lists and stuff - that's not really my thing. Here's a few websites that many of us use:
www.atdist.com/
appalachiantrail.org
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php
www.trailjournals.com

IWouldWalk2000Miles
01-23-2015, 21:42
Wow, I am truly appreciative of all the helpful advice offered! I feel like maybe I should explain how new I am hiking, as many of the suggestions offered have been to see if I like it. I camped with my family every summer as a kid, through my teenage years (usually about 2 weeks). I know I like being outdoors, and I'm comfortable with sleeping outside and on the ground, that type of thing, but as far as 5-6 months of walking? Packs? Carrying food? Tents? That is all new to me! I'm sure I will like it, though. I love the outdoors and physically intense activities. I have completed the Manitou Springs incline a few times since I've moved to Colorado, but that takes about an hour, not 5 months, LOL!

My biggest problem is feeling overwhelmed with options. I'm one of those people who will research a brand of television for 2 weeks before making a purchase, because I want to get it just right, read reviews, research prices, all that jazz. Probably way overthinking it. But with so many outfitting options and models for everything, I can't help but *feel* overwhelming, and I don't know enough (or anything) about the sport to make an educated decision by myself.

I definitely prefer tents over hammocks, and I've seen TarpTent thrown around a lot in the threads here. I appreciate the poster who suggested starting with big ticket purchases first and then working my way down from there. So, Tent, Pack, Sleeping Pad, those should be my primary areas of scouring the web first?

As far as shoes - a LOT of threads I've read have suggested that wearing boots is possibly a mistake, that because you're lifting your feet up and down every single step, a lighter shoe will go a LONG way for helping exhaustion. Is this true?

mountain squid
01-23-2015, 21:52
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WhiteBlaze.

It might be too far away, but you might consider attending Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/) this year. There will be lots of gear vendors as well as current hikers and previous years hikers to gather info from and talk gear with.

Enjoy the planning process.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) (a 'list' of helpful threads)

July
01-23-2015, 21:54
Wow, I am truly appreciative of all the helpful advice offered! I feel like maybe I should explain how new I am hiking, as many of the suggestions offered have been to see if I like it. I camped with my family every summer as a kid, through my teenage years (usually about 2 weeks). I know I like being outdoors, and I'm comfortable with sleeping outside and on the ground, that type of thing, but as far as 5-6 months of walking? Packs? Carrying food? Tents? That is all new to me! I'm sure I will like it, though. I love the outdoors and physically intense activities. I have completed the Manitou Springs incline a few times since I've moved to Colorado, but that takes about an hour, not 5 months, LOL!

My biggest problem is feeling overwhelmed with options. I'm one of those people who will research a brand of television for 2 weeks before making a purchase, because I want to get it just right, read reviews, research prices, all that jazz. Probably way overthinking it. But with so many outfitting options and models for everything, I can't help but *feel* overwhelming, and I don't know enough (or anything) about the sport to make an educated decision by myself.

I definitely prefer tents over hammocks, and I've seen TarpTent thrown around a lot in the threads here. I appreciate the poster who suggested starting with big ticket purchases first and then working my way down from there. So, Tent, Pack, Sleeping Pad, those should be my primary areas of scouring the web first?

As far as shoes - a LOT of threads I've read have suggested that wearing boots is possibly a mistake, that because you're lifting your feet up and down every single step, a lighter shoe will go a LONG way for helping exhaustion. Is this true?

Equipment and gear choices are constantly evolving, don't get too overwhelmed. It is not a specific piece of gear that is going to get you to the destination, it is what is within you. Gear is gear and on a long haul keep the weight in mind, day in and out keep your load as light as you can. Get out and spend some nights under the stars, and do your research, it'll all come together.

Connie
01-23-2015, 22:03
Ah, you like to be thorough... so read my website, allow for my not recently updating links: over 180 pages!

The link is at my signature.

Hiking shoes are better for distance hiking, if no heavy pack. More support is advised for a heavy pack.

I didn't suggest purchasing the Big Three or Big Four first. I had only started itemizing prices.

Tents will be higher priced.

Ideally, the pack should be purchased after you have the other items. Then, you can find out how they will "carry". It is good to load up any backpack you try on with the weight you will carry. Many shops will have weights to load up. If not, bring in your gear in a laundry bag. Really!

It is that important. The backpack must fit you, and, must be fit for your gear and your hike. I have three backpacks, right now: different needs - different purposes.

4shot
01-24-2015, 00:41

this question is a perfect example of things NOT to worry about. As far as shoes vs.boots, it doesn't matter. People hike in both (although most do prefer shoes). Some hike barefooted or in sandals. I like boots and have one brand that I believe to be the best on the planet. Others try them on and they don't fit them as well. this is a personal decision and a right answer doesn't exist. However, I will be wearing boots from this company as long as I can get outside and walk.

If fact, there is no right answer to all the gear questions....otherwise everyone would carry the same thing. Ease into and when you are ready to buy, select a trusted name. You mentioned tarptent, that's an example. I carried one on my thruhike and it was/is a great tent. But I can't tell you that it is better than one made by Six Moon or Lightheart or MSR or etc. as I have never owned those. Not many people who offer opinions have either so we cannot tell which one is the best. All we can say is which ones we have tried and liked (or disliked).

If you stick with quality and buy something, quit fretting over it. At the end of the day, the gear (assuming you didn't buy from Sears or the equivalent) isn't the difference in completing a thru hike. None of us ever looked at those who quit or got off and said, "Gee, ol' Snowcone would have made it if only they had a tent from company z instead of the one from company x."

again, welcome.

Dochartaigh
01-24-2015, 00:53
A complete ultralight setup, with TarpTent and a bunch of made to order semi-custom gear (i.e. from cottage manufacturers) comes in well below $2,000, so you'll be fine money-wise. What to buy on the other hand is worth its weight in gold (I probably easily quadrupled that budget finding out what I like through many years of camping). It's all personal preference and can only be properly chosen by experience – so start off with some research on the big 3 (pack, tent, and sleeping system) and go from there. Get out in nature and find out what you like gear-wise! Any time out in nature is a win-win no matter what, it's just the fine-tuning that takes some work.

Feral Bill
01-24-2015, 01:08
Look for a club that does trips in your area, and a place that rents gear. A few short trips will put your reading into perspective. There is no one best way to do things. Get out, make mistakes, and learn. And don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Double Wide
01-24-2015, 06:01
Don't obsess over gear before you buy it. If you get stuff at REI, you can easily exchange it if you use it and don't find that it suits you. When I started I had an *idea* of all the stuff I wanted but man, oh man, did I ever learn my lessons the hard way. I'm on my second sleeping bag, second pack, second air mattress, and FOURTH different tent (first one was too small and too hot, second one too heavy, third one was great except the front entrance instead of the side, fourth one was too small, so I went back to the third one, etc.) I basically got my stuff and took off and did a section hike in Georgia--and I learned in a hurry what works for me and what didn't. Didn't need a pump water filter--went with a Sawyer mini instead--love it and really love the weight savings. I love love loved my REI quarterdome tent, but at 4 lbs, it was just too heavy, so I sold it (still have sellers remorse) but I'm totally happy with my Mountain Hardwear tent. Ditched the old-skool external frame pack, because although it was functional as all heck, it was noisy and it the frame constantly got caught on tree branches and such. I had a huge comfy Thermarest 'self-inflating' pad that was so comfy on the wooden bench at REI, but it was so bulky and heavy in the pack that I swapped it out for a NeoAir which is just as comfy and weighs so much less. I've changed to different boots, socks, and insoles that work wonderfully for me--I *never* get blisters at all and all my toenails are intact--but it took me almost two years of trial and error (plus learning how to tie my boots properly for the shape of my foot helped, too).

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that all of us obsess over gear--that's part of the fun of preparing for a hike--but if you've got a year or more to prepare, just get after it and try out stuff on the weekend. Go with what your gut says when you're shopping, then try it out. If it doesn't work, try again. A few shake-down hikes and you'll have it mostly all figured out.

Good luck!

Oh, and as far as headlamps go, something with a dim setting and a red light for night time is ideal. You'll find that you won't use the bright setting very much at all, but the red lamp is very considerate to your fellow hikers when at shelters.

MrGonzalo
01-24-2015, 07:01
I'll tell you the truth... I've fully outfitted myself in quality UltraLight gear (9lbs base weight) under $700, including an actual tent!

As others have mentioned, look through
Sierra Trading Post. Wait until the 40% off sales come up, and make big purchases (otherwise, shipping and tax will kill a big part of the incentive). Do your research and decide where you want to be weight-wise. I'm a 5'6 dude, so UL is not just a bragging point for me... It's an absolute necessity! I spend too much time in the military carrying heavy packs, and I refuse to do that again.

HYOY is a great mentality, but there is much to learn from folks who have BTDT. The idea is to have your plan, and make educated decisions around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garlic08
01-24-2015, 07:54
The gear I carried on the AT was high quality, trail-tested for blizzards and temps in the low teens, and cost $850, mostly on sale. But I don't really know how much it cost me to get to that point. I went through several variations of every piece of gear over many hundreds of miles (in my case, decades) to get to that point. I think everybody needs to do that, and the AT is as good a place as any. I doubt many first-time hikers on the AT finish with the same gear they start with. $1000 will certainly get you on the trail, but you'll probably change your mind about key items as you go and it would be nice to have the budget to allow that.

If you haven't seen this yet, it's an example (maybe dated) of thrifty gear that works: http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html

One variation on AT gear cost is the season you start. A February start will likely cost more than a mid-April start. For example, besides the obvious insulation cost, on summer hikes I rarely use a headlamp so I carry a very cheap one. On a winter hike, it would be one of the more important things in my pack and I'd get a really nice one.

I would never hit the trail with someone else's pack, so detailed gear lists are of limited use. I'd say, "Why did this idiot pack this? And where's my ....."

Best thing to do would be to hit the trails for overnighters this summer. The Lost Creek Wilderness down near you is an excellent place to get going early, probably in May, with a 20+ mile loop. Work up to a 100-mile section of the Colorado Trail by the end of the summer. 100 miles is the longest stretch between resupplies you'll see on the AT.

Malto
01-24-2015, 10:39
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22273

I have no raingear listed: I would have a LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover and Rain Skirt.

I paid $209 for the backpack, $249 for the down quilt, $119 for the NeoAir XTherm small. The cuben tarp listed is $169. I like a "flying diamond" or asymmetrical pitch tarp. There is a more standard cuben tarp at eBay for $149.

This was the most careful shopping list for lightweight equipment, I could achieve, for me.

I need this backpack, for rain and for bushwacking on the PNT trail.

The AT is a groomed trail. The backpack price however will be close.

If interested in lightweight, you might lookup the other items prices.

At minimum, you will need to replace shoes and socks more than once.

I recommend the Sawyer Squeeze for the AT, not the Sawyer Mini. The other differences are preference only, unless you need to plan for less than 20 F or you will experience hot weather. I am quite comfortable to 65 F. This is the typical temperature range of the mountains where I will hike.

I think you will find sales and coupons, if you signup with email for sales.

I recommend Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry.

REI membership sales help, as may be the dividend.

I recommend selective, not one-stop, shopping.

I would love to find one outfitter that had the best of everything. I haven't.

i would never recommend a tarp for a newbie. They need to acquire the skills to make this work.

Connie
01-24-2015, 10:53
I think you are underestimating what "newbies" can do.

I pitched a tarp in Girl Scouts, for 18 days in the mountains of The North Cascades, Washington State.

I pitched a tarp in the backyard in Brownies.

Much younger than that, I made "forts" with table cloths. ;-)

Nooga
01-24-2015, 11:18
I think there is a good reason that you see very few AT thru hikers carrying tarps.

Connie
01-24-2015, 11:25
Rain. Rain. More rain?

Inexperience?

If rain is considerable, I would have a cuben "kitchen tarp" to pitch high up while I break out and pitch my tent.

MrGonzalo, What tent?

FYI

I like gearlists to find out about gear I never heard of before, not to "buy" the entire list. I know that gear, at least, works well enough for that person.

I look up the new-to-me products online.

I have had many headlamps. I use a led baseball cap, so I don't lose the headlamp. Low beam, high beam and red or green leds is available from Panther Vision hats. If you read the product description carefully, the led's are mounted under the brim of some of their baseball hats so it doesn't look quite so "different".

swjohnsey
01-24-2015, 13:12
A couple of points:

I never met anyone on the trail who said they wish they were carrying a heavier pack.

You can get deals on ebay on light weight, high dollar gear from folks who set out to thru-hike and lasted a couple of weeks.

Pack ULA Ohm 2.0]
Bag WM Highlight
Pad Neoair
Tent BA Flycreek UL1

About 5 lbs less than $1k

AO2134
01-24-2015, 13:41
A couple of points:

I never met anyone on the trail who said they wish they were carrying a heavier pack.

You have never hiked with me.

There are so many options. So many opinions. It all depends on you.

I could get you a fairly light gear for a decent price. I recently did this on my website blog post. I have copied it here.

I am very lucky. I am a healthy 29-year old man. In the prime of my life. I am strong willed and relatively strong. When I first got into backpacking, I inevitably joined several groups, including the forums of whiteblaze, which is one of my favorite hiking resources. However, as I was picking my gear and soliciting advice from hikers, I ran into a lot of judgment from the ultralight (UL) community about my gear choices. Their belief appears to be that ultimately every hiker must make the decision to hike lightly or not at all. I resisted. My goal was to hike cheaply, weight be damned.

As a result of all the judgment from UL hikers, I began to unduly dislike the movement and those who advocate it, especially those very outspoken and judgmental few. (Note: This does not apply to a majority of UL hikers). In fact, to spite the movement, I have been thinking about section hiking the AT section which goes thru the Smokies with my 28 lb pack AND a 50 lb training vest to show that weight only matters to those who cannot carry it. I am not sure if I will do it, but I enjoy the idea. I know I can do, and still do 15-18 mpd. I would have to buy the vest which, if you know me, I hate spending money. Not to mention I would be worried about the vest/pack interaction. I would hate it if the vest somehow damaged my pack.

Over the several months of hiking, research, and learning from my fellow hikers (yes, even those in the ultralight movement), I learned it is possible to hike cheaply and relatively light. Sure, my pack isn't setting any records, but it is starting to become so light that it almost feels like cheating. To me, a 25 lb pack and no pack are about the same thing.

So the goal of this blog is not only to show my gear choices currently (which is always a topic of conversation for hikers), but also show how to get all your hiking gear at a relative cheap price. Of course, there are UL hikers who have packs that are half or possibly even a third of my pack, but then again they paid for that. Likely, their tent, sleeping bag, and pack cost more than all my gear combined.

My go-to phrase now in response to UL hikers is simple: "weight only matters to those who can't carry it." There are those who due to conditions out of their control (age, sickness, disease, injury, etc) must go UL and this criticism does not apply to them. But there are an even greater number of hikers who due to conditions in their control (laziness, poor conditioning, poor preparation, poor nutrition, mental weakness, and general life lethargy, etc) must go UL. So my response to the UL movement is simple. "Just because you need to go UL does not mean I do. Weight only matters to those who can't carry it." Those in the UL movement believe in it so much that they lighten their wallet as well. I would always prefer to have a nice, fat, heavy wallet. That being said, some UL backpackers also did me great favors to showing me cheap light weight alternatives to my gear, especially my tent and my pack.

Finally, a disclosure. I'd like to mention I am not a "gear head." I don't spend copious amount of time or money on gear. I don't usually "talk" gear like many hikers do. So take everything I say with that grain of salt.

Anyways, onto my current gear: Part 1- The Big Three.

Shelter: Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html) | $125.00 | 38 oz or 2 lbs 6 oz (including stakes).

Originally, I had bought an REI Passage II. With foot print, it was close to 6 lbs or to be precise, 93 oz. I bought it because it was a cheap and reliable tent. It was both. I liked it. Although I didn't mind the weight, I did mind the size/space it occupied in my pack. A heavy tent isn't a problem, but a tent that doesn't fit well in my pack and takes up too much space is a huge problem. Luckily, Eric sold me his used Scout. I have used it ever since, and I plan to buy the same tent again when this one runs its course. A sub 2.5 lb, compact tent for $125.00. Where in the world can you beat that?

Now the tent does have it's problems, namely being a single walled tent, which means condensation problems, but I have never found it to be a very big problem. A little condensation and waking up every hour or so is definitely worth the weight, space savings, and cost of this tent. I have used this tent in rain, but never constant, heavy rain. I am a little worried about the bathtub floor, but I have yet to have a problem with it. Also, this tent requires trekking poles.

Along with this tent I use a tyvek footprint, which is about 5 oz and goes below my tent.

Currently, this is my only tent and I have no intention to get another.

Another option from fairly cheap tent from SMD is the Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) which could provide a weight saving of 10 oz from the Scout listed above for a modest increase in price $225.00. Essentially, that is $10 per ounce of savings. It certainly is not a bad deal.

Sleeping System-Cold Weather Bag: Marmot Trestles 30 Sleeping Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/828305/marmot-trestles-30-sleeping-bag#tab-specs) | $ 99.00 | 59 oz or 3 lbs 11 oz.

This is by far my heaviest piece of gear. I bought this bag last summer and have used it ever since. Currently, it is my only sleeping bag. That means in the hot, humid Georgia summers, I was using this bag. I also used it in sub-20 degree weather. Since I sleep so warm, I don't need a 0 degree down sleeping bag. This bag will likely keep me warm enough to get through most winter nights. It is a great synthetic sleeping bag, but even I have to say it is heavy and bulky. Worse yet, it is simply way too warm for late spring, summer, and early fall backpacking. Although I could easily continue to use this bag for all 4 seasons, if I could find a cheap alternative to address the cons of this bag in the summer, I would definitely consider it.

As a result, I plan to make an addition to my sleeping system for late spring, summer, and early fall backpacking. Eric told me about a company called Enlightened Equipment. They produce a 20 oz, 40 degree synthetic quilt for only $160.00. Nearly 2.5 lbs of saving, significant space savings, and a more comfortable night sleep in warmer weather? I am sold. I will be purchasing it soon and use it as my spring, summer, and fall sleeping bag.

Sleeping System- Warm Weather Quilt: Enlightened Equipment (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/) - Prodigy | $160.00 | 19-20 oz

I will provide a very brief review once I field test it a few times.

Sleeping System- Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite Sleeping Pad (http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad) | $29.95 | 14 oz

For virtually all of last year, I used this as my sole sleeping pad. I like it for a number of reasons; its price being the most important. In this case, the cheapest option was also the lightest option. Don't you love when that happens? I do. However, there is 1 main drawback to this pad: size. It does not fit into my pack and must be strapped vertically to the outside of my pack. This, however, wasn't that big of a deal to me.

As the temperature started getting cooler, however, I noticed the pad wasn't cutting it. The pad had been compressed after repeated use, and I started to develop pain in my hips. I couldn't spend the whole night without developing some pain and forcing me to rollover to other side as I am a side sleeper. Although I could easily live with this, Kestrel showed me a fairly cheap and relatively lightweight air pad. I decided to bite the financiaklthe bullet and get it.

Sleeping System - Air Sleeping Pad: Klymit Insulated Static V Inflatable Sleeping Pad (http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Inflatable-Sleeping/dp/B00D2HXG5E): | $65.99 | 25 oz.

In the colder winter months, I decided to bring both this air pad and my original ridgerest. While others are cutting weight to their packs, I decide to add to it! However, in the warmer months, I plan to leave the ridgerest at home and bring only this air pad.

I also bought a cheap $9.00 sheet for the air pad so my sweaty body isn't making contact with the plastic air pad bellow. This will end up adding about 7 oz. Of course, if I find this to be a needless comfort, I could just leave it at home.

Finally, I have no basis for comparison, but I can say love this sleeping pad. It is very comfortable, easy to inflate, and most importantly is very compact allowing for easy packing inside of my pack as opposed to the ridgerest.

Pack: REI Flash 62 (http://www.rei.com/product/862882/rei-flash-62-pack) | $189.00 | 48 oz.

I love the REI Flash 62. I love its fit. I love its size. I love its weight. I love its price. I have only hiked with this pack. However, I have begun to notice the seam where the hip belt connects to the pack is starting to come undone after about 200 miles. Luckily, REI is a great company and they provided me with a new one. However, I am starting to this my gear, at least my winter gear) is simply just to heavy for the pack.

Lately, I have been looking at the Osprey Atmos 65 (http://www.rei.com/product/828429/osprey-atmos-65-pack), which is 10 oz heavier and significantly more money: $249.00. However, I think this pack will be able to handle my heavier winter gear without damage.

Day Pack: REI Flash 22 | $49.00 | 16 oz

I have only used this pack for a single day hike. I wouldn't put much weight in it, but I enjoyed hiking with it.

Big Three Weight - Summer: 143 oz or 8 lbs 15 oz

This includes, REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, Sleeve, 40 degree Prodigy Quilt, tent and footprint.

Big Three Weight - Winter: 189 oz or 11 lbs 13 oz

This includes REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, ridgerest, Marmot Trestles 30 sleeping bag, tent and footprint.

Old Hiker
01-24-2015, 13:48
Welcome !

1. Start reading the articles on the home page of WhiteBlaze. Read them again AFTER you have camped out a few times.
2. Start walking. CO should have PLENTY of hills to practice on.
3. Steep and Cheap dot com
4. http://www.rei.com/stores/coloradosprings.html?s_kwcid=vjVGoilk_dc|pcrid|592 8668025|pkw|Colorado%20Springs%20REI|pmt|bb|bing|b rand
5. Local thrift stores - in CO, you should (?) be able to find plenty of gently used cold weather type gear for the first few months of the hike.
6. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=alps+1+person+tents&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aalps+1+person+tents
I used the Zephyr 1 before I spent my allowance for the next few decades (I'm married) on the LightHeart Gear tent I REALLY wanted. http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents
7. Ignore MOST of the advice you get, including mine - you can only decide what works for YOU.

Enjoy the planning - hope to see you in 2016. I'm planning a 29 Feb 2016 start.

Feral Bill
01-24-2015, 14:02
REI has two stores in CO Springs. Be careful about the advice you get there, and ask the sales people about their personal experience. If, after trying it, you find that a purchase from REI does not suit you, you can return it. Take advantage of this to make sure your decisions work out, but don't abuse it, please. Shop the sales and you can gear up nicely there. And they do have rentals.

MrGonzalo
01-24-2015, 14:12
MrGonzalo, What tent?".

SMD Trekker. Borrowed one in the past, loved it, got my own. Hard to beat at 24 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
01-24-2015, 14:28
You have never hiked with me.

There are so many options. So many opinions. It all depends on you.

I could get you a fairly light gear for a decent price. I recently did this on my website blog post. I have copied it here.

I am very lucky. I am a healthy 29-year old man. In the prime of my life. I am strong willed and relatively strong. When I first got into backpacking, I inevitably joined several groups, including the forums of whiteblaze, which is one of my favorite hiking resources. However, as I was picking my gear and soliciting advice from hikers, I ran into a lot of judgment from the ultralight (UL) community about my gear choices. Their belief appears to be that ultimately every hiker must make the decision to hike lightly or not at all. I resisted. My goal was to hike cheaply, weight be damned.

As a result of all the judgment from UL hikers, I began to unduly dislike the movement and those who advocate it, especially those very outspoken and judgmental few. (Note: This does not apply to a majority of UL hikers). In fact, to spite the movement, I have been thinking about section hiking the AT section which goes thru the Smokies with my 28 lb pack AND a 50 lb training vest to show that weight only matters to those who cannot carry it. I am not sure if I will do it, but I enjoy the idea. I know I can do, and still do 15-18 mpd. I would have to buy the vest which, if you know me, I hate spending money. Not to mention I would be worried about the vest/pack interaction. I would hate it if the vest somehow damaged my pack.

Over the several months of hiking, research, and learning from my fellow hikers (yes, even those in the ultralight movement), I learned it is possible to hike cheaply and relatively light. Sure, my pack isn't setting any records, but it is starting to become so light that it almost feels like cheating. To me, a 25 lb pack and no pack are about the same thing.

So the goal of this blog is not only to show my gear choices currently (which is always a topic of conversation for hikers), but also show how to get all your hiking gear at a relative cheap price. Of course, there are UL hikers who have packs that are half or possibly even a third of my pack, but then again they paid for that. Likely, their tent, sleeping bag, and pack cost more than all my gear combined.

My go-to phrase now in response to UL hikers is simple: "weight only matters to those who can't carry it." There are those who due to conditions out of their control (age, sickness, disease, injury, etc) must go UL and this criticism does not apply to them. But there are an even greater number of hikers who due to conditions in their control (laziness, poor conditioning, poor preparation, poor nutrition, mental weakness, and general life lethargy, etc) must go UL. So my response to the UL movement is simple. "Just because you need to go UL does not mean I do. Weight only matters to those who can't carry it." Those in the UL movement believe in it so much that they lighten their wallet as well. I would always prefer to have a nice, fat, heavy wallet. That being said, some UL backpackers also did me great favors to showing me cheap light weight alternatives to my gear, especially my tent and my pack.

Finally, a disclosure. I'd like to mention I am not a "gear head." I don't spend copious amount of time or money on gear. I don't usually "talk" gear like many hikers do. So take everything I say with that grain of salt.

Anyways, onto my current gear: Part 1- The Big Three.

Shelter: Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html) | $125.00 | 38 oz or 2 lbs 6 oz (including stakes).

Originally, I had bought an REI Passage II. With foot print, it was close to 6 lbs or to be precise, 93 oz. I bought it because it was a cheap and reliable tent. It was both. I liked it. Although I didn't mind the weight, I did mind the size/space it occupied in my pack. A heavy tent isn't a problem, but a tent that doesn't fit well in my pack and takes up too much space is a huge problem. Luckily, Eric sold me his used Scout. I have used it ever since, and I plan to buy the same tent again when this one runs its course. A sub 2.5 lb, compact tent for $125.00. Where in the world can you beat that?

Now the tent does have it's problems, namely being a single walled tent, which means condensation problems, but I have never found it to be a very big problem. A little condensation and waking up every hour or so is definitely worth the weight, space savings, and cost of this tent. I have used this tent in rain, but never constant, heavy rain. I am a little worried about the bathtub floor, but I have yet to have a problem with it. Also, this tent requires trekking poles.

Along with this tent I use a tyvek footprint, which is about 5 oz and goes below my tent.

Currently, this is my only tent and I have no intention to get another.

Another option from fairly cheap tent from SMD is the Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) which could provide a weight saving of 10 oz from the Scout listed above for a modest increase in price $225.00. Essentially, that is $10 per ounce of savings. It certainly is not a bad deal.

Sleeping System-Cold Weather Bag: Marmot Trestles 30 Sleeping Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/828305/marmot-trestles-30-sleeping-bag#tab-specs) | $ 99.00 | 59 oz or 3 lbs 11 oz.

This is by far my heaviest piece of gear. I bought this bag last summer and have used it ever since. Currently, it is my only sleeping bag. That means in the hot, humid Georgia summers, I was using this bag. I also used it in sub-20 degree weather. Since I sleep so warm, I don't need a 0 degree down sleeping bag. This bag will likely keep me warm enough to get through most winter nights. It is a great synthetic sleeping bag, but even I have to say it is heavy and bulky. Worse yet, it is simply way too warm for late spring, summer, and early fall backpacking. Although I could easily continue to use this bag for all 4 seasons, if I could find a cheap alternative to address the cons of this bag in the summer, I would definitely consider it.

As a result, I plan to make an addition to my sleeping system for late spring, summer, and early fall backpacking. Eric told me about a company called Enlightened Equipment. They produce a 20 oz, 40 degree synthetic quilt for only $160.00. Nearly 2.5 lbs of saving, significant space savings, and a more comfortable night sleep in warmer weather? I am sold. I will be purchasing it soon and use it as my spring, summer, and fall sleeping bag.

Sleeping System- Warm Weather Quilt: Enlightened Equipment (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/) - Prodigy | $160.00 | 19-20 oz

I will provide a very brief review once I field test it a few times.

Sleeping System- Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite Sleeping Pad (http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad) | $29.95 | 14 oz

For virtually all of last year, I used this as my sole sleeping pad. I like it for a number of reasons; its price being the most important. In this case, the cheapest option was also the lightest option. Don't you love when that happens? I do. However, there is 1 main drawback to this pad: size. It does not fit into my pack and must be strapped vertically to the outside of my pack. This, however, wasn't that big of a deal to me.

As the temperature started getting cooler, however, I noticed the pad wasn't cutting it. The pad had been compressed after repeated use, and I started to develop pain in my hips. I couldn't spend the whole night without developing some pain and forcing me to rollover to other side as I am a side sleeper. Although I could easily live with this, Kestrel showed me a fairly cheap and relatively lightweight air pad. I decided to bite the financiaklthe bullet and get it.

Sleeping System - Air Sleeping Pad: Klymit Insulated Static V Inflatable Sleeping Pad (http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Inflatable-Sleeping/dp/B00D2HXG5E): | $65.99 | 25 oz.

In the colder winter months, I decided to bring both this air pad and my original ridgerest. While others are cutting weight to their packs, I decide to add to it! However, in the warmer months, I plan to leave the ridgerest at home and bring only this air pad.

I also bought a cheap $9.00 sheet for the air pad so my sweaty body isn't making contact with the plastic air pad bellow. This will end up adding about 7 oz. Of course, if I find this to be a needless comfort, I could just leave it at home.

Finally, I have no basis for comparison, but I can say love this sleeping pad. It is very comfortable, easy to inflate, and most importantly is very compact allowing for easy packing inside of my pack as opposed to the ridgerest.

Pack: REI Flash 62 (http://www.rei.com/product/862882/rei-flash-62-pack) | $189.00 | 48 oz.

I love the REI Flash 62. I love its fit. I love its size. I love its weight. I love its price. I have only hiked with this pack. However, I have begun to notice the seam where the hip belt connects to the pack is starting to come undone after about 200 miles. Luckily, REI is a great company and they provided me with a new one. However, I am starting to this my gear, at least my winter gear) is simply just to heavy for the pack.

Lately, I have been looking at the Osprey Atmos 65 (http://www.rei.com/product/828429/osprey-atmos-65-pack), which is 10 oz heavier and significantly more money: $249.00. However, I think this pack will be able to handle my heavier winter gear without damage.

Day Pack: REI Flash 22 | $49.00 | 16 oz

I have only used this pack for a single day hike. I wouldn't put much weight in it, but I enjoyed hiking with it.

Big Three Weight - Summer: 143 oz or 8 lbs 15 oz

This includes, REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, Sleeve, 40 degree Prodigy Quilt, tent and footprint.

Big Three Weight - Winter: 189 oz or 11 lbs 13 oz

This includes REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, ridgerest, Marmot Trestles 30 sleeping bag, tent and footprint.

You might have made it as a Ranger. I spent much of my misguided youth hiking through the middle of the night carrying a giant ruck.

I wish someone had this auto-complete/spell checker up their ass.

johnnybgood
01-24-2015, 15:07
Take advantage of this to make sure your decisions work out, but don't abuse it, please. Shop the sales and you can gear up nicely there. And they do have rentals.

You can get some absolute steals at REI's quarterly garage sales for members.

I get there really early the day of the sale, 3am usually. Of course your store may have a lottery system set up which negates getting there early.

My best deals ; Hennessy Ultra-light Hammock and rain fly- $69.83 + tax

REI Flash 65 - $15.83+ tax

Pocket Rocket - $ 5.83 + tax

Keen & Merrell shoes , each worn once and returned - $ 5.83 + tax

Frye
01-24-2015, 15:34
In fact, to spite the movement, I have been thinking about section hiking the AT section which goes thru the Smokies with my 28 lb pack AND a 50 lb training vest to show that weight only matters to those who cannot carry it.

Yeah, have fun with that...

ocasey3
01-24-2015, 16:20
Have you ever considered hiking the Colorado Trail? Or part of it? Goes from Denver to Durango and is just about 500 miles. Might be a good way to see if thru-hiking is something you would enjoy without having to travel too far from home.

AO2134
01-24-2015, 16:27
Yeah, have fun with that...

I do wish I had the vest. That is certainly one way to make the hike more of a challenge.

I apologize if I offended. I just got tired of hearing about how I needed to go UL. I agree, UL is a way you can hike. Where I disagree with those in the movement is those few that say it is the only way to hike. Anyone not hiking UL is doing it wrong.

Anyways, I provided my opinions on the matter and gave OP some suggestions based on my experience with gear. That was the purpose of the post. If I offended in the process, I apologize.

Many here advocate UL hiking. Several months ago, when I solicited information, I received judgment (not help) from some in the UL community. Others in the UL community where incredibly helpful. I want to make clear I am not generalizing to the whole community, just those select few.

I have an UL hiker to thank for my awesome tent. I also have an UL hiker to thank for my pack (originally I was looking at a nearly 5lb pack).

I got tired, however, of hearing how I needed a $500 Zpacks tent that is less than a lb. I don't need it. I don't even want it. It is not a knock on the quality of the tent. A tent that is about lb is amazingly light, but I personally will never justify the price. For that price, I can almost buy my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and pack.

Personally, I value $1,000.00 more 4-6 lbs of savings, especially since I can still do 16-18 mpd fairly easily and more with some effort. I don't see how a couple of lbs will effect that much. Rather, I see how increasing my fitness, strength, and endurance will significantly increase that number. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy work. Whatever increases I can get from going lighter, I can also get from getting fitter, stronger, mentally tougher all of which will have a tremendous benefit not only on the trail, but off as well.

Connie
01-24-2015, 16:27
I have had a pocketful of $$$

It is still necessary to go thru the process.

fastfoxengineering
01-24-2015, 20:00
No reason not to take advantage of the used market for some good deals. Slightly used but otherwise in excellent condition gear goes for about half of full retail.

My best advice I can give you. A short list of three so your not overwhelmed.

1. Get fitted for a pack
2. Buy your hiking shoes 1l2 to 1 full size larger than your normal shoe size
3. Invest in a great sleeping bag

Everything else in gear is a compromise. But like I said, take advantage of the used market. I just posted a like new hammock for sale. $50 off from brand new. I also posted an excellent thru-hiking multitool for half off new, and their are many other ways to score solid gear on the cheap. Not saying you should buy my stuff.. or should you?!

You DO NOT need the best gear. Most of us don't.

For example:

A thru hike worthy cook kit on the cheap.

Kmart Grease Pot (search for it, you'll get 10,000 hits) $10
REI Lexan Long Handled Spoon $2
Home made alcohol stove/windscreen/potstand - free to $10
8oz Alcohol Fuel Bottle - Free, reuse a plastic bottle from your house
Pot Cozy - Make one out of a car reflector sunshade
Mini-Bic -$1
Lightload Towel - $1

That should serve you well.

Frye
01-24-2015, 20:26
I do wish I had the vest. That is certainly one way to make the hike more of a challenge.

I apologize if I offended. I just got tired of hearing about how I needed to go UL. I agree, UL is a way you can hike. Where I disagree with those in the movement is those few that say it is the only way to hike. Anyone not hiking UL is doing it wrong.

Anyways, I provided my opinions on the matter and gave OP some suggestions based on my experience with gear. That was the purpose of the post. If I offended in the process, I apologize.

Many here advocate UL hiking. Several months ago, when I solicited information, I received judgment (not help) from some in the UL community. Others in the UL community where incredibly helpful. I want to make clear I am not generalizing to the whole community, just those select few.

I have an UL hiker to thank for my awesome tent. I also have an UL hiker to thank for my pack (originally I was looking at a nearly 5lb pack).

I got tired, however, of hearing how I needed a $500 Zpacks tent that is less than a lb. I don't need it. I don't even want it. It is not a knock on the quality of the tent. A tent that is about lb is amazingly light, but I personally will never justify the price. For that price, I can almost buy my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and pack.

Personally, I value $1,000.00 more 4-6 lbs of savings, especially since I can still do 16-18 mpd fairly easily and more with some effort. I don't see how a couple of lbs will effect that much. Rather, I see how increasing my fitness, strength, and endurance will significantly increase that number. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy work. Whatever increases I can get from going lighter, I can also get from getting fitter, stronger, mentally tougher all of which will have a tremendous benefit not only on the trail, but off as well.

You worry to much about offending people.

Personally I don't care if you carry a hundred pounds, it's not my problem. Your last lines are a bit off though. I'm a gym fanatic, there's hardly a day I'm not active, but with all that training, a heavier pack still only increases my chances of being injured.

Whatever. Take a deep breath and try not to get so frustrated.

Left Hand
01-24-2015, 22:11
Go outside and play! Play in the woods with some gear. If you like the gear, keep it. If you don't, try some other gear.

The gear doesn't hike for you. It's only hiking/backpacking. Don't over think it. Have fun!

swjohnsey
01-24-2015, 23:29
Light gear can cost more. The crap you leave behind costs nothing. I evens out.

4shot
01-25-2015, 09:46

To the OP, I want to share with you a funny story that happened on my thruhike. It sheds imo a great deal of light into the advice of others regarding gear. Rereading this thread, your last post brought this to mind.

So I am camping in NY with a small group of my fellow thru hiker. One guy I actually met on the Approach trail and hiked with a great deal along the way. This young man is a proponent of the "UL" movement and a minimalist.

I, on the other hand, am not. I wear boots because I like them. Carry maps because I want them. Paperback novels to read when I want to. My pack with food and water at the botttom of springer weighed 43 lbs.

So, anyway my young friend, while we are all sitting around eating our noodles, starts up on the whole gear nonsense again. In fact, he says to me "that his setup allows him to travel so much faster than me".

Now all of us in this group know each other as is typical with hikers who have been on the trail for months. Most know that this guy and I started together and have hiked together off and on. So I ask him "If you are so much faster than me with your setup, why are we sitting in the same place right now?". Of course, everyone busted out laughing at his expense as he was known for boasting about how UL he was. He had no answer and just got up and finished his pot of noodles somewhere out of earshot of our laughter.

Moral of the story: even experienced hikers aren't always factual when discussing their gear. it can be like people discussing their dogs - everyone is sure that they have the best bird dog in the county.

DavidNH
01-25-2015, 10:10
So you are planning a 2016 T thru hike and you are completely new to hiking.

Forget about all this gear discussion. Plan this summer to go at the very least on several weekend backpack trips and if possible a week long trip or two or three. Carry everything on your back. Hike in the rain. Hike in the heat. Hike when it is cold. Hike where the terrain is easy and hike where it is steep. By trial and error you will find out what gear works for you and what is too heavy or to light. I believe the the biggest reason a lot of these yahoos attempt north bound AT thru hikes and quit in the first 30 miles or so is that they had no idea what they were getting in to. What you need to do is to get out there on trails. Find out if you really like hiking? Do you like being alone in the woods? are you willing to put up with hiking when it rains ALL. DAY. LONG. ??? possibly for several days in a row?

Connie
01-25-2015, 10:34
Nice anecdote.

What he said.

IWouldWalk2000Miles asks about the effect of the weight of lifting his feet in boots or shoes for 2000 miles? If the OP is asking about weight, perhaps it is helpful to point out that fit is more important, or, perhaps helpful to point out it is helpful to have sufficient support. I would say foot comfort is more important.

The "adage" is a lb. on the feet is more than a lb. in the backpack.

My entire body balances and carries the backpack.

Each foot picks up and puts down a lb. more at each and every step for 2000 miles. Hmmm, I think I can work that out. Wait a minute. For a million steps, a million lbs. for each foot. I have two feet. I can "do the math". 2 million lbs.

Examples of different folks:

1. Every day of my life, I wear boots. I have walked 2000 miles in my lifetime, surely more miles. How many miles in 3-seasons? Oh, I walk 2000 miles, anyway, on the trail or off the trail. I have nothing to be concerned about. My boots are not slick soled boots. I almost never slip and fall crossing a streambed. I have good traction on rocky places.

2. I practically never wear boots. I park my car close to my destination. I walk as little as possible. How about me? These hiking shoes have sufficient support and lack slipperness on rock slab or stream crossings. Hiking shoes, yeah. My legs will get in shape with these hiking shoes.

3. I have worn leather and leather lined insulated mountaineering boots. Would I rather wear the new more lightweight stuff. Yep! I would.

Connie
01-25-2015, 10:57
I like the weather. I dress right for the weather, a challenge if you never tried it before.

I like a tarp. I like to see the weather from under the tarp. I like looking at the weather more than reading a book.

I enjoy the varieties of rain, wind, and fog. I like the changing light. I think, can I photograph that light? Maybe not.

For me, outdoors is good. It can be like that.

I am much more interested in how other people dress for the weather where they are at.

Rain. More rain? If you keep walking, are you dressed for it, or, do you "tough it out" until thoroughly chilled?

Is there a better way to set up a tarp or tent in the rain?

Do those 1-minute set up tents help?

While setting up the tent do tents get wet inside?

q-tip
01-25-2015, 13:56
I have a broad range of support/planning spreadsheets, gear (lt.wt/ul) , nutrition, training, gear companies. If interested send pm with email. Developed over 1,300+ miles on three continents....

q-tip
01-25-2015, 14:17
One other thought, all of my outdoor planning has been based on this priciple,"to consistently be able to get safe, dry and warm". I have been in several life threatening situations, some from ignorance and inexperience. I have gear from day hiking to UL, backpacking, mtn. trekking to alpine climbing. Issues related to planning, training, nutrition, mental toughness, financing, communication all are as, or more critical and ultimately determine what is in the pack.

The wonder of the outdoors for me is the process of discovery, discovering how to maximize the value of my experience in the presence of The Nature. All of the preparation maximizes the joy, and truth be told as far as possibe, minimizes the pain.....

Awillner
01-25-2015, 14:31
I just posted a rather lengthy review (sorry!) of the gear I used on my 2014 AT thru hike. Hope it is of help.

garmachi
01-27-2015, 10:30
Hello, fellow hikers. I'm new here, as well as to hiking, but I've been reading as much information about the AT as I could find, for the past week or so from different online sources. I learned of the AT thru-hike by chance, stumbling upon a blog of someone who had completed it. http://wheresthenextshelter.com/

Hi! I'm actually the guy who wrote that blog! I'd love to know how you stumbled upon it! :)

Anyway, if you'd ever like to talk about gear or ask me for help, just send a PM! Good luck!