PDA

View Full Version : Which Pad to Use

jimyjam
01-23-2015, 23:53
Hello everyone. I need a little help. I am looking for suggestions on a closed cell foam pad to use in my hammock. I have an ENO double nest hammock. I use a Sierra designs backcountry bed (800 fill Dridown) which has a pad sleeve that'll fit a 20" pad, any thickness. I am looking for something lightweight and not a huge amount of bulk as I am attempting a thru hike and will be carrying it a long distance. My pack is an Osprey Exos 58 if that makes any difference for packability.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Connie
01-24-2015, 00:08
Gossamer Gear has a selection: http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

Jake2c
01-24-2015, 00:08
I also have a backcountry bed and use a thermarest inflatable in my hammock. Not the warmest one, the next step down, can't remember what it is called but its yellow, I think they only make one model in yellow. I'm pretty sold on that backcountry bed. Have not been real cold but have reached into the 30s and really like it. How is it working out for you?

jimyjam
01-24-2015, 00:32
Jake2c I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. I just got it for Christmas. I did a lot of research into which bag I thought would be best for hammock and ground alike. I cannot wait to get out in it this year and really test it out before my thru hike next year. Thanks for the advice! I will look into the thermarest inflatables.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

SteelCut
01-24-2015, 10:05
Probably not the answer you are looking for ... but hammocks are a lot more comfortable and warmer with an under quilt than a pad. The problem with a pad (besides slipping, etc.) is that it does not cover your shoulders adequately. There are ways to incorporate a second smaller pad to fit under your shoulders (you can probably find more info on hammockforums.net). If you must us a pad, I would suggest a hammock that is a double layer allowing you to slide the pad between the two layers which will make the pad stay in place better. For example, an Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.1 would be a good choice.

Whiskey
01-25-2015, 10:51
I use a Zlite pad in my hammock sometimes. It is super lite. It doubles a nice soft sit pad. I keep it strapped to the bottom of my Exos so when I set the pack down, it keeps it dry. Won't ever leak air. Just not sure how easy it will work with your bag, but it's cheap enough to try.