PDA

View Full Version : Orthovisc or Synvisc Knee Injections anyone?

Praha4
01-24-2015, 21:46
I've had Orthovisc injections in a shoulder with advanced arthritis before, and it helped significantly.

Now I'm considering getting the series of 3 Orthovisc injections in a knee that has some issues with early stage arthritis and a slight meniscus tear. I had the knee scoped 30 years ago, and use a Cho Pat brace while hiking, but my orthopedic doctor did xrays last fall and recommended these shots to help lubricate the joint and forestall problems

the question is.....can any other WB hikers out there who have had these type injections share an opinion? I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with these shots..... Good results? problems? how long did they last? 6 months? year?

http://www.orthovisc.com/sites/default/files/orthovisc_logo.gif (http://www.orthovisc.com/)

tia

ATAdam
01-24-2015, 22:58
I manufactured Orthovisc 2006-2010. Anika Therapeutics out here in Mass. Good company, good product. I have had one in my left knee and it's been great.
I was an aseptic manufacturing tech, they use some high speed equipment, top of the line. The chemical process is very efficient and the HA is pure quality, MFG outta japan to some very very precise standards.

12TH Man
01-25-2015, 12:23
Hi Praha, Ive been using synvisc for about two years and have been happy with the results. Synvisc is administered as one shot and can be uncomfortable for a few days and lasts me about four months. I friend has convinced me to try orthovisc this time, longer lasting? I've got bone on bone and have talked to my orthopaedic about new knee. He wants me to do my thru hike first. Without synvisc I couldnt even begin to contemplate a thru. Good luck.

kibs
01-25-2015, 13:06
This is good info as I am recovering from a knee injury / broken Tibia. I am not quite full weight bearing at this point.
The Orth surg said there might be residual knee problems.

Spirit Walker
01-25-2015, 21:44
My husband was stalling on getting a total knee replacement so the doctor suggested Synvisc. The shots were painful, but they did work for about nine months the first time he did them. We were able to thruhike the CDT, though toward the end the knee got pretty painful. The second round of shots was less effective and the effects only lasted for a couple of months.

rocketsocks
01-25-2015, 22:07
I'm on my second round of Synvisc One, I can get an injection about every 6 months, if need be. So far it seems to be helping, immediately after injection s I've been laid up for several days with pain and swelling, hope this works for you, as the alternative for many is surgery.

ATAdam
01-25-2015, 23:23
Synvisc, with less effect Orthovisc will always be less successful with each injection. Your body starts with a set amount of HA in your system and it breaks down over time - like everything else. My father showed more success with varying the brand, due to the specific molecular weights and products molecular compositions. Just food for thought.

August W.
01-27-2015, 13:50
I have no experience with the injection but I do have "early onset arthritis" in my left knee and was going through quite a bit of pain with it a few years ago before discovering MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). Before starting on MSM the doctor told me I would be getting injections in my knee in the near future but that was four years ago and I have hiked a lot of pain free miles since then. The lady who convinced me to try MSM had been nearly bed ridden with arthritis but has made a tremendous come back with msm. I don't know if the national chain stores would have the stuff but your local health food store should. A bottle of capsules is usually under $20 or so and is worth every penny. I took the capsules daily for a couple months and was able to go a few months before needing more. MSM helped me greatly and hopefully it will help any of you who give it a try.

NY HIKER 50
01-28-2015, 11:43
I had a Synvisc injection. However, by that time I was too far gone. I also had other surgery leading up to this. Synvisc is no good if you are in the third or forth stage anyway. The doctor that gave it to me said he could do no more. I ran into my orthopedist and he had me come in right away for an x-ray. That was it. I had to get two knee replacements at the same time. So Synvisc might help in the early stages, but later it won't help much at all, especially if you are going bone on bone. Hint, Synvisc only lasts for a little while and needs to be reinjected. Not fun since he accidentally hit the bone the first time. I had trouble climbing the stairs. I spent three weeks in the hospital and went thru therapy, but it was worth it. I'm able to move on the trail like crazy, swim, ride a bike and just walk. No running or jogging though, but hey it works.

NY HIKER 50
01-28-2015, 11:47
Hey, are you sure this isn't the company looking for info from us hikers?????

Praha4
01-30-2015, 23:02
Visited my orthopedic doctor today at Andrews Orthopedic Institute in Gulf Breeze, FL. He said FDA has approved Monovisc, which can be done as only one knee injection, instead of the 3 separate injections done with Orthovisc. Monovisc is also made by the same company, Depuy, that makes Orthovisc. There is no knee swelling with one Monovisc injection, because the Hyaluronan compound injection with Monovisc is smaller volume than used with Orthovisc. They are seeing very good results with Monovisc in active patients with early stage knee osteoarthritis. Getting the shot next Tuesday, have to wait on insurance blessing first. Will advise here how it goes. He also has used Synvisc for some patients.

Praha4
02-04-2015, 13:08
Well the Ortho Dr talked it over with me yesterday, and it came down to my insurance coverage. Monovisc is newer and more expensive, and insurance coverage on it not as good with my United Health policy. So got the Snyvisc-One injection. Yeah it feels like a bee sting when the needle goes in. Iced the knee last night, no swelling and the knee feels fine today. He said take it easy a couple days. I'll give it a road test later in the week. Thanks to everyone here for the feedback. I think this is an important topic for athletes and hikers, since most all of us will deal with knee wear n' tear and osteoarthritis eventually.

Inspector
02-04-2015, 14:57
I have had the OrthoVisc shots several times over the years. My knees went bad when I was very heavy. I am now 200 pounds lighter. The knees are much better but still hurt sometimes. The first time I used OV it lasted about 2 months. The next time, after losing the extra weight, over a year.

Kerosene
02-04-2015, 16:57
Interesting. My ortho (leading Minneapolis clinic) told me a year ago that none of these approaches were proven to be at all effective for osteoarthritis (bummer). Now, I am sufficiently experienced with our healthcare system to know that not every doctor is up to speed with every treatment regimen, but this guy wouldn't even consider the potential. At least he wasn't trying to operate on me like my first opinion ortho pushed for.

Praha4
02-04-2015, 17:09
I hear ya, and know how frustrating it can be dealing with different opinions from different doctors. I grew dissatisfied with my local orthopedic doctors in my home town, where I usually can only get to see the P.A., and they are more than happy to hand out scripts for pain meds, which I don't want or need. That eventually led me to be more than willing to drive 2.5 hours over to Andrews Orthopedic Institute in Gulf Breeze to look for better medical solutions. Dr. Andrews is team doctor for the Washington Redskins, has done knee surgeries on many pro athletes (RGIII and others), they are as good as I think one can find in sports medicine and orthopedics. I've had two Orthovisc injections in one shoulder, and it gave me a LOT more relief than previous cortisone shots. I'm a believer in the benefits of Hyaluronan and Synvisc for joint therapy. good luck

Interesting. My ortho (leading Minneapolis clinic) told me a year ago that none of these approaches were proven to be at all effective for osteoarthritis (bummer). Now, I am sufficiently experienced with our healthcare system to know that not every doctor is up to speed with every treatment regimen, but this guy wouldn't even consider the potential. At least he wasn't trying to operate on me like my first opinion ortho pushed for.

NY HIKER 50
02-04-2015, 19:29
Yep, this looks like the company trying to get in on the forum. I see this too often. They they get their "friends to join in. Think I'm kidding? At the top that logo leads you to a link at the site. Who needs this?at the site. Who needs this.

Praha4
02-04-2015, 20:22
NY Hiker 50? are you sure you aren't Anonymous?

I knew you were too smart for anyone to put one over on ya'. I'm working for evil "Big Pharma", watch for our "Orthovisc" tent at Trail Days this year, we'll be giving out free Orthovisc Tee-shirts, ballcaps, balloons, and samples

seriously, I'm sure your intentions are honorable in attempting to cleanse the forum of any snake oil salesmen....but I assure you I have no such intentions.

think about this, if there are any WB TOS issues regarding members posting any products here by brand name, then doubtful we'll see any posts here on any hiking products in the future. No more naming tents, clothing, shoes, food, or any products by name. If you do, you are obviously working for an evil capitalist corporation! Power to the people!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3iT4Nlb_KfE7vwdBI5EJ4e4hWLlCXG QQwFTcbMPc69WqcSzKHzg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://themindunleashed.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/the%252Bphramaaa.jpg&imgrefurl=http://themindunleashed.org/2013/08/the-medical-system-kills-fda-approved.html&h=320&w=480&tbnid=TOBl2Y3hXSz49M:&zoom=1&docid=FM69CTUAs8ouDM&ei=N7XSVJzuHYLiggTR44B4&tbm=isch&ved=0CCoQMygMMAw)

Ender
02-05-2015, 13:45
NY Hiker 50... Praha has been on this forum forever. Nothing to see here, no big conspiracy, he's good people.