PDA

View Full Version : "Luxury items"

MarkCevoli
01-25-2015, 01:52
I see a lot of people talking about pack weight and stressing about it all.

I dont know what my pack weighs, I have most of my essential gear, nothing extra, real bare bones with the essentials. That will weigh what it weighs.

Then I need a few extra things to document what I need to document for this thru hike.
A camera, a tape recorder, journal, and two books. This will certainly add another 5??ish pounds.

Ill pack my bag and then unpack it, shake myself down, twice, and repack it. None of those "extra" items are leaving though, they presuppose the hike.

After all of that I will weigh my bag, it will be in the redder zones, hopefully not above 40lbs.

So my question for you,

What is you essential non-essential, or rather, luxury items in your bag this 2015 thru?

Mr. Allen
01-25-2015, 07:12
Let's see

Pillow
Cell phone/battery pack
Small speakers
Small coffee maker
Frying pan
Book

Base weight of around 27 ish
Wouldn't change a thing

cspruiell
01-25-2015, 08:52
Journal
Waterproof point-and-shoot
iPod and all its accoutrements
Sunglasses, which I consider a luxury since they're prescription
A Morakniv in addition to my my Kershaw Leek -- foresee it possibly being sent home

Haven't done a real shakedown yet, so things could change. We'll see!

Frye
01-25-2015, 09:45
I actually thinned out luxury items for my thru this year. I used to carry camp shoes, and the thermarest mini pump for longer hikes. Now the only thing extra I'm hauling is my mp3 player. (Switching out mini pump for pump sack)

When my cold weather gear gets sent home I'll probably add some ultra pures for playing in creeks and taking a shower at the Doyle...

Sunglasses, which I consider a luxury since they're prescription

I'm not sure I'm following that one. A prescription pair seems less of a luxury then a pair from sunglass hut.

Seeing is a privilege, not a...

Slo-go'en
01-25-2015, 10:30
I can't hike with prescription sun glasses. For some reason they distort my depth perception.

I don't consider a camera a luxury item. You gotta have a camera. My tablet could be considered a luxury item. I could live without it but the functions it provides is worth the small weight it adds.

jimmyjam
01-25-2015, 10:56
I'd say my pillow

Sirsnappy09
01-25-2015, 11:14
Cspruill keep you the Mora. It weighs nothing and I used mine a lot.

Busky2
01-25-2015, 11:44
Camera with stickpic 6.5 oz
Battery pack Brunton 2.1 oz
Radio/MP3 & ear buds 3.0 oz
Pillow 4.8 oz

Bronk
01-25-2015, 12:13
Food. I usually carry way too much food. Run out one time 30 or 40 miles from town and you'll re-evaluate how much food you think you need.

double d
01-25-2015, 12:23
camera and small radio are a items I like to carry, but I also don't mind the extra added weight (I looked around and found the one's that work for me).

cspruiell
01-25-2015, 12:31
I'm not sure I'm following that one. A prescription pair seems less of a luxury then a pair from sunglass hut.

I guess I'm thinking "luxury" because I've never had a pair before. (And after having them a few weeks, I'm not sure how I survived without them!) :cool:

FrozenMac
01-25-2015, 12:35
-Contact lenses + a tiny bottle of solution (could do without them, but I hate hiking in glasses in the rain)
-Sketchbook with a pen, pencil, and two tone markers for drawing
-tiny mp3 player that runs on batteries

In the summer when I can switch out my heavier sleeping bag and lighten my load, I'll probably snag a book somewhere to read :-)

Spring/Fall base weight: 13lbs
Summer base weight: 10lbs

Frye
01-25-2015, 13:19
I wear contacts, but don't consider them a luxury. I lose glasses to often, and I'd rather replace my disposables then a pair of glasses (Which I don't even own anymore because I lost my last pair on the trail)

LonghornAT
01-25-2015, 13:23
GoPro
iPhone
Camp Sandals

CondensedFun
01-25-2015, 16:15
Compressible pillow - Mine is 7oz and I feel it's worth the extra weight over inflatable pillows and lined stuff sacks.
Knife+tweezers+nail clippers - I prefer these items standalone as opposed to using a Swiss Army style knife.
Oral-B toothbrush - The kind I use at home instead of the folding, travel kind.

Sandy of PA
01-25-2015, 21:46
Bearcan, I suck at throwing rocks in trees.
Pillow, Exped inflatable, can't sleep without it.
Cell phone, my husband insists that I call a least once a day.

ny breakfast
01-25-2015, 23:00
biodegradable toilet paper and wet wipes and qiwiz trowel

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2015, 23:32
I'm not doing a thru this year, but a FULL roll of toilet paper is my luxury item on longer hikes. If you've ever had a stomach bug while hiking you'll undestand why.

shelb
01-26-2015, 00:26
PJ's! - Merino Wool lightweight long underwear and a shirt - While they add 11 ounces, I so LOVE changing into PJ's to sleep! (Note: I am only a section-hiker....not sure if I would do this as a Thru-hiker, even though I LOVE getting out of my hiking clothes to sleep!)

mattjv89
02-02-2015, 12:16
PJ's! - Merino Wool lightweight long underwear and a shirt - While they add 11 ounces, I so LOVE changing into PJ's to sleep! (Note: I am only a section-hiker....not sure if I would do this as a Thru-hiker, even though I LOVE getting out of my hiking clothes to sleep!)

I will definitely be carrying a set of dedicated sleeping clothes on my thru, for me it's closer to an essential than a luxury. Nothing like slipping into warm dry clothes and cozying up in a warm dry bag to cancel out a day of hiking in windy 45 degree rain.

As for my own luxuries..
-Phone and camera, seems like a big debate but I'm inclined to call both of these luxuries. Going with a separate camera due to limited storage on iphone and better exposure controls on standalone camera.

-Occasional paperback book, maybe a small journal

-A folding saw, only weighs 5oz. and part of my trail name (Ham Sawyer). I like trimming the branches off those blow downs as I come to them, easy way to help keep the trail in shape as I've seen new routes trampled down within days of a tree falling.

comanche8f
02-03-2015, 13:30

I dont know what my pack weighs, I have most of my essential gear, nothing extra, real bare bones with the essentials. That will weigh what it weighs.

Then I need a few extra things to document what I need to document for this thru hike.
A camera, a tape recorder, journal, and two books. This will certainly add another 5??ish pounds.

Ill pack my bag and then unpack it, shake myself down, twice, and repack it. None of those "extra" items are leaving though, they presuppose the hike.

After all of that I will weigh my bag, it will be in the redder zones, hopefully not above 40lbs.

So my question for you,

What is you essential non-essential, or rather, luxury items in your bag this 2015 thru?

Samsung 5 with 4 extra batteries, and a book. The batteries don't hardly weigh much, and it will ensure I have plenty of time to call my kids at night, listen to music, or whatever , without worrying about battery life

Poedog
02-03-2015, 13:49

So my question for you,

So you think you'll be carrying 40lbs before food and water? I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound "bare bones" to me, that sounds like a world of hurt.

You'll soon realize that food is your ultimate luxury item. Save room for it.

squeezebox
02-03-2015, 13:56
A dog.......

Double Wide
02-04-2015, 09:00
40 lb pack?

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2015, 09:31
40 lb pack?

Not that I recommend it, but a 40-50lb pack was the norm in the 1980's and 1990's...

...Then again measles was the norm back in the 1940's, maybe progress isn't such a bad thing.

Turtle-2013
02-04-2015, 09:51
I carry a "SPOT Connect" (satellite transmitter), Cell Phone, and ONE of several options to keep it charged ... makes my wife feel better. :)

(If I left these items at home I'd have my base weight down to 10.5# so not much else that I would consider a luxury item)

semicolon
02-04-2015, 22:32
I find the term "luxury item" and the discussions and explanations that follow very interesting.

At some level, almost everything in my pack could be considered a luxury item. I mean, a tent, a pack and a sleeping bag would be luxury items to Grandma Gatewood. We all make a decision about what we want to carry (and what we don't) based on the safety, utility or comfort that that item gives us. I bet for every item in my pack someone could make an argument for not carrying it. In the end, the decision is your own. And, that decision is always based on your personal comfort, or in other words , your luxury.
my 2cents. [emoji4]

squeezebox
02-05-2015, 00:45
There are a few folks that hike barefoot. To them socks and shoes are a luxury. And then there's the no TP , no underwear folks. no shelter.
Bring what you think you need, and when you realize you don't need it send it home.Try to trim your wt. but don't be uncomfortable.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-07-2015, 01:04
biodegradable toilet paper and wet wipes and qiwiz trowel
Totally not luxury items in my book!! Especially the TP and wipes. I am partial to a well-cleaned bum

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-07-2015, 01:11
The long xtherm pad (it's wider and more comfy to me)
My nemo pillow (came highly recommended by a 2012 thru-hiker. Thanks Matt)
The mini pump for my xtherm and nemo pillow.
A leather bound journal
My mascot "Bear"

putts
02-07-2015, 01:46
In 07 I hiked Maine in around 25 days at the tail end of 4 months on the trail. A couple years later I took 40 days to hike only Maine, and added a collapsable fishing rod, a glow in the dark star chart, a pillow, a 2 man tent (instead of solo), and a flask to my pack. To me that's trail life at it's finest.

RFS2001
02-07-2015, 10:11
Phone and solar charger/battery pack.

Kiteman
02-08-2015, 08:42
Samsung 5 with 4 extra batteries, and a book. The batteries don't hardly weigh much, and it will ensure I have plenty of time to call my kids at night, listen to music, or whatever , without worrying about battery life

Dont bring a book or a kindle !!! You will not have time to read. I brought a kindle and trying to get rid of it. Just started and now on mile 30 at Neel Gap with some good people.

Erez