PDA

View Full Version : names for gear

squeezebox
01-25-2015, 19:40
Cheryl Strayed called her pack monster. I came up with a name for mine. I wonder how many people have named their pack, or any other gear. If I write a journal it will be from the point of view of my pack.

RangerZ
01-25-2015, 19:45
"Stick" is my loyal hiking staff. Quiet and doesn't argue too much.

juma
01-25-2015, 19:59
Cheryl Strayed called her pack monster. I came up with a name for mine. I wonder how many people have named their pack, or any other gear. If I write a journal it will be from the point of view of my pack.

The name "stinky" is already taken, as are many others. you need to search the Pack Name Registry to make sure you are not stepping on some else's name.

virginia jen
01-25-2015, 20:21
I knew a guy that named his Shirley. As in "Shirley you can get lighter!", & "Shirley, you don't need to bring that!?!?!"

imscotty
01-25-2015, 22:30
Don't call me Shirley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA)

squeezebox
01-25-2015, 22:45
So how do I find the pack name registry?

gwb
01-28-2015, 06:59
The water bag I use with my Sawyer filter is names Dirty Bertha. Sometimes I call it Dirty Bert the Water Bag or simply Dirty Bert.

Hoofit
01-28-2015, 07:11
the Monkey on my back...if i could just hike without that monkey on my back...been working on making it an ultralight monkey by the time I get back on the trail...

Harrison Bergeron
01-28-2015, 09:17
When I switched to poles and retired my favorite stick, I named it "Urge" and hung it in my office. I burned in his name toward the top, and when I complete a major "expedition", I use him to keep a record of the trail names and dates, spiraling up from the bottom end.

I still miss that stick, but he just couldn't cut it as a tent pole.

Traveler
01-28-2015, 10:12
When I switched to poles and retired my favorite stick, I named it "Urge" and hung it in my office. I burned in his name toward the top, and when I complete a major "expedition", I use him to keep a record of the trail names and dates, spiraling up from the bottom end.

I still miss that stick, but he just couldn't cut it as a tent pole.

I was wondering what to do with my old hiking staff. I cut a small hickory in 1972 at the start of a hike, long before I knew much about it. That staff stayed with me until about 4 years ago when I moved to trekking poles (did wonders for joint pain). That staff, "Ol' Hickory" was a prize and served well for 35 years. Mounting this in my office was something I never thought of, great idea!