PDA

View Full Version : Katie Bar the Door - Storm Coming!

Traveler
01-26-2015, 08:10
FYI to anyone who's not near a TV or radio, and to those who have suffered through to mid winter with crappy snowshoeing and trail conditions due to ice storms.... theres a whopper storm coming into the Northeast. Projected totals are all over the place, ranging from 15" to 30", a lot depends on storm track and duration. Suffice to say, 2" to 4" per hour fall rate over a 6 to 8 hours will put a lot of snow down.

I hope no one is caught unprepared on a trail in this storm, which is touted as being the most powerful in several years.

tiptoe
01-26-2015, 10:37
Yes, it's going to be fun fun fun, unless it fizzles. We are setting up for indoor winter camping, just in case. Firewood in, candles, drinking water in big plastic cubes, flushing water in joint compound buckets and bathtub, etc., etc. Just hoping the power stays on so we won't have to drain the pipes.

Glacier
01-26-2015, 11:11
Good luck you north easters.. Stay safe and warm.

Migrating Bird
01-26-2015, 11:17
One of my favorite Larson cartoons. http://www.funpic.hu/en/categories/gary-larson/6819_blizzard?categoryId=12&position=&large=1

rocketsocks
01-26-2015, 11:23
Yes, it's going to be fun fun fun, unless it fizzles. We are setting up for indoor winter camping, just in case. Firewood in, candles, drinking water in big plastic cubes, flushing water in joint compound buckets and bathtub, etc., etc. Just hoping the power stays on so we won't have to drain the pipes.in-land Jersey, maybe...Conneticut? your ****ed :D

Slo-go'en
01-26-2015, 11:24
We can only hope. It would be nice to have a decent snow storm for a change, I haven't gotten nearly enough exercise this winter. Although the more the hype these storms the less likely they amount to much. Maybe it will track a little inland so we'll get a good amount here in the mountains instead of it all being on the coast - or New Jersey!

rocketsocks
01-26-2015, 11:29
We can only hope. It would be nice to have a decent snow storm for a change, I haven't gotten nearly enough exercise this winter. Although the more the hype these storms the less likely they amount to much. Maybe it will track a little inland so we'll get a good amount here in the mountains instead of it all being on the coast - or New Jersey!yeah we've had our share in the past, this looks to be a mainly New York and onward N.England thing. I'd be surprised if joisey gets 8" but for the coastal areas and extreme northern, that's my hope anyway. My kid needs a break. :D

peakbagger
01-26-2015, 12:20
There was a winter storm warning on Saturday along the coast of Mass, Me and NH. I went hiking up Mt Hale just north of Zealand Hut. It was obscured sun on the top and not a speck of snow on the entire hike until we got back to the trailhead. We did use snowshoes to "groom" the trail on the way down and to cut some occasional switchbacks plus I used the snowshoes yesterday for roaming in the woods so there is snow in the whites but no where near what there should be.

I expect I will get a normal storm in the northern whites but it does look like the coast will get hammered. With all the transplants "from away" them folks on the coast just don't know how to handle this stuff.

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 12:26
We can only hope. It would be nice to have a decent snow storm for a change, I haven't gotten nearly enough exercise this winter. Although the more the hype these storms the less likely they amount to much. Maybe it will track a little inland so we'll get a good amount here in the mountains instead of it all being on the coast - or New Jersey!

You know how the weather maps show the different colors: green for rain, pink for sleet, red for snow? Well the map this AM showed deep reddish, purple for Providence, RI. We are going to get slammed! :eek:

Predictions are from 10 to 36 inches of snow, depending on your location. :mad:

Stocked up on bread and milk, got my hot chocolate ready and consulted my TV listings...I'm ready! :D

imscotty
01-26-2015, 17:35
Judging from the people I talked to today--- 'WE ARE DOOMED, SAVE YOURSELF, OH - THE HUMANITY!!!'

Geez, I can remember when being a New Englander really meant something.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2015, 17:39
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png There's a blizzard coming to RI...Gotta Get the Bread and Milk !!!!
The snow has started to fall, and I've had 3 things on my mind:

1) Harriman is going to be even worse than it was on MLK weekend, and we will probably never get there this season.

2) I wonder if Tipi is planning a trip to celebrate this storm.

3) I'm a Rhode Islander, therefore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU&app=desktop

illabelle
01-26-2015, 17:58
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png There's a blizzard coming to RI...Gotta Get the Bread and Milk !!!!

Ain't nuthing going on around here (East TN) except a lil' drizzle and maybe a flurry 'r two. From what I've seen so far, Tipi likes to stay close to home.
But now the extended forecast is showing 1-3 inches of snow next Sunday night, just in time for Groundhog Day! Maybe that will amount to several inches in the hills hereabouts. I could definitely see him out in that. :)

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 18:06

The snow has started to fall, and I've had 3 things on my mind:

1) Harriman is going to be even worse than it was on MLK weekend, and we will probably never get there this season.

3) I'm a Rhode Islander, therefore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU&app=desktop

The good news: Snacktime is going to get a couple of snow days off from school! :)

The bad news: Snacktime will be making it up in the summer! :(

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2015, 18:45
The good news: Snacktime is going to get a couple of snow days off from school! :)

The bad news: Snacktime will be making it up in the summer! :(

A couple of overnighters will take care of the snowdays. He gets school credit for the phys ed, and for anything educational we do along the way :). (The trail is FULL of educational opportunities: science, geography, history, etc.)

RangerZ
01-26-2015, 19:05
Shoveled 2" off the sidewalk before work this AM. Did 3 more after work. The snowblowed the driveway for the fun of it, remembering how much easier it is than shoveling. One of the best toys I ever bought. 29* in Pittsburgh, 5" on the ground and a little more coming.

One Half
01-26-2015, 20:44
time to break out the snow shoes!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2015, 22:00
We went for a walk around the neighborhood around 7pm....the time it was all supposed to start around here. It wasn't one of those pleasant jaunts on a snowy evening, but a cold, wet, windy outing. I'd hate to be out on the trail in this.

Leanthree
01-26-2015, 22:38
I feel like 100x more bread and milk is consumed during a blizzard day than a non-blizzard day. I understand canned foods in case the power goes out but I'll never understand the bread/eggs/milk unless people just love french toast during blizzards.

I hope Tipi came up to the berkshires to backpack in this storm.

Mr. Clean
01-27-2015, 06:04
I haven't seen anything from Tipi lately.

Traveler
01-27-2015, 06:52
As of 5 am this morning in northwestern CT, we have just about 10" of snow down, should be another by end of day to a total just under 24" here at the house. By learned estimations and consensus of my trail pals, the current guesstimation of snowfall on the AT in CT is from about 8" at the southern end, to about 12"-15" in at the CT/MA border. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Snow is very dry and light. Getting the big floating snowshoes ready to play in natures bounty the minute it stops!

Offshore
01-27-2015, 07:47
Fizzled out in Central NJ - maybe 6". Putting the snowshoes away...

tiptoe
01-27-2015, 12:30
And for us in SW Connecticut, maybe 6 in. of light, powdery snow yesterday, maybe another 1 or 2 inches so far today, and no power outages. Shoveling done. I'll probably snowshoe dog-walking paths around the yard and back field, but I don't really need to. The storm of the century most likely wasn't even the storm of the season here. Talk about inflategate! Now what am I going to do with all the pots and pails of water strategically located around the house?

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2015, 12:52
Give or take we've got about a foot here in SE RI, and it's still snowing and blowing as intensely as last night....maybe more so even. I expect we'll get the additional 12" as predicted. It's light and fluffy and easy to shovel at least.

shakey_snake
01-27-2015, 13:06
High of 75 and sunny here in the Valley of the Sun.

I've spent 30 miserable winters in Ohio (most of which involved Lake effect snow), and have to say--moving really isn't that difficult!

atraildreamer
01-27-2015, 13:14
A couple of overnighters will take care of the snowdays. He gets school credit for the phys ed, and for anything educational we do along the way :). (The trail is FULL of educational opportunities: science, geography, history, etc.)

Can I get college credit, perhaps even a degree, if I thru-hike the AT? If so, what do we call the major?

Got about 2 feet of snow in Providence. Got some drifts up to 4 feet, or so. Snow still coming down, sideways, due to high wind gusts. RI & MA are closed for business. No mail deliveries or public transportation. Private auto traffic prohibited except in emergency situations.

I predict the baby docs and maternity wards will be busy in late September and early October...think "Blizzard Babies"! :eek: ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2015, 13:36
Can I get college credit, perhaps even a degree, if I thru-hike the AT? If so, what do we call the major?

I'll assume no "snark" was intended. If I'm correct, then the answer is potentially yes, if you can demonstrate acquired knowledge in an area where life experience is credited. (online - choke - schools are good for that).

If I'm wrong, bite me. :D

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2015, 16:53
ONLY IN RHODE ISLAND !!! THIS is how a school closing is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjE72Q8s8wo

tiptoe
01-27-2015, 18:32
Teacher, this video has warmed up my day!

atraildreamer
01-27-2015, 19:36
I'll assume no "snark" was intended. If I'm correct, then the answer is potentially yes, if you can demonstrate acquired knowledge in an area where life experience is credited. (online - choke - schools are good for that).

If I'm wrong, bite me. :D

I know about 99 ways not to make an alcohol stove out of a soda can...does that count?

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2015, 19:50
Teacher, this video has warmed up my day!

It was actually sent to the student body. We RIers might be a tad stiff and distant, but we have a sense of humor (perhaps even a flair for the dramatic :) )

I know about 99 ways not to make an alcohol stove out of a soda can...does that count?

Chemistry credit perhaps?

shelb
01-28-2015, 00:22
ONLY IN RHODE ISLAND !!! THIS is how a school closing is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjE72Q8s8wo

What a cool principal!

atraildreamer
01-28-2015, 13:23
It was actually sent to the student body. We RIers might be a tad stiff and distant, but we have a sense of humor (perhaps even a flair for the dramatic :) )

Chemistry credit perhaps?

...how about metalworking, with a minor in first aid...those cut up cans are sharp! :mad: :banana

imscotty
01-28-2015, 13:26
Snowfall total is in here.... 30+ inches. But it is all fluff. Still shoveling.

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2015, 16:24
This is what "Two to Three feet" looks like in CT, Sure am glad they shut down the whole state. I can almost hear the folks in Buffalo laughing from here.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2015, 17:41
The Maine and Mass coast got hammered. Only about 8" here in the mountains, but I bet it filled in really good up around tree line. With the hard, crusty snow up there before this storm, look for reports of avalanches in the next week or two.

I think I'll go break some trail tomorrow.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2015, 22:56
We're heading into our third snowday. The side roads are a mess and they can't run the busses.

Traveler
01-29-2015, 07:26
Forecasters missed the forecast by 30 to 50 miles. Given the complexities of a storm system like the one that blew through the other day, thats not bad. Yes, NYC shut down for 9" of snow, had the storm shifted a few miles to the west there would have been people stuck on trains and highways. CT shut down the roads, which in Southwestern CT didn't make a lot of sense, in Southeastern CT it made perfect sense.

That said, I went up into Caanan yesterday for a little snowshoeing. At about 1600 feet (Great Forest area) there was between 12" and 14" of new snow (very light and powdery). Snow load at 900 feet off the major state roads was about 8" overall. Looks like two more storms that will roll through New England promises more snow to frolic in, with luck by the middle of next week we will have some real winter snowshoeing conditions on the AT and other trails finally!

atraildreamer
02-11-2015, 15:44
We're heading into our third snowday. The side roads are a mess and they can't run the busses.

RI Dept of Education announcement:

"Due to excessive number of snow days, summer vacation will begin on July 3rd. School will resume on July 5th." :D :banana

Slo-go'en
02-11-2015, 19:03
I went snowshoeing today. There's a LOT of snow in these here hills. I was breaking trail in 2 feet of powder and had to dig through a couple of 5 foot drifts on my up to Dome Rock, on the side of Mt Madison. Lets see what the next two storms bring...

Teacher & Snacktime
02-12-2015, 00:18
We have a full 3ft in the backyard.....more is coming.

illabelle
02-12-2015, 05:50
We have a full 3ft in the backyard.....more is coming.

We have 3 inches - in the forecast. :)

Rolls Kanardly
02-13-2015, 12:59
My backyard last weekend. Phoenix in the eighties today.:cool:
I wish I could send all of you some of this weather.

Rolls

lemon b
02-13-2015, 13:39
We're right at 70 inches for the season. Can tell the days are getting longer which is good.

tiptoe
02-13-2015, 14:15
3-7 inches in the forecast here for Saturday afternoon into Sunday. Currently a balmy 10 degrees. This morning I sorted out my seed packets, then put on winter gear to shovel a path to the back of the garage, where my seed flats and containers are stored. I am going to start onions, leeks, shallots, and parsley this weekend. It's a big leap of faith, I know, but the sun is higher in the sky now, and much stronger. My resident foxes are out and about, often watching me as I watch them.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2015, 18:01
My backyard last weekend. Phoenix in the eighties today.:cool:
I wish I could send all of you some of this weather.

Rolls

No, you can keep it. I kind of like clearing my driveway with -15F windchill. Lets see, air temp is down to -2 now and the sun is just starting to set.

LoneStranger
02-13-2015, 19:07
No, you can keep it. I kind of like clearing my driveway with -15F windchill. Lets see, air temp is down to -2 now and the sun is just starting to set.

Forecast calls for -10°f here tonite and I have the tent set up in the back yard on top of 4 feet of snow. Perfect conditions for testing out the sleep system :)

WingedMonkey
02-13-2015, 19:07
I am going to start onions, leeks, shallots, and parsley this weekend.

My parsley from last year is flowering. I just watered the garden so I can take off to the woods for a week.

We are finely getting some night temps in the 40's, and I might be able to get inside of my sleeping bag instead of laying on top of it.

Somebody else can pick the vegetables while I'm gone, or I might have baby squash with breakfast.

:sun

eblanche
02-13-2015, 21:00
Forecast calls for -10°f here tonite and I have the tent set up in the back yard on top of 4 feet of snow. Perfect conditions for testing out the sleep system :)

haha i recently got a pair of down booties and pants. You can bet you ass I've been pushing my 30* bag to its limits this winter in my backyard.

illabelle
02-14-2015, 06:25
The 80% chance of 3 to 5 inches on Monday, has been downgraded and delayed to 60% chance of 1 to 3 inches on Tuesday. So disappointing. :rolleyes:
BUT, now it shows next Friday/Saturday with 12+ inches of snow!!!!! We haven't seen that much around here since ... I don't know, maybe the Blizzard of '93. Tipi Walter will be ecstatic! :jump

Gray Bear
02-14-2015, 07:34

It was -21 in Dixville this morning and -15 in Crawford Notch. According to the folks in Grey Me the snow should start today around noon in the southern end of the state. Looks like we'll see close to another foot out of this one by Monday morning.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2015, 12:40
Only -9 here this morning, but I'm at 1400 feet and that makes a difference. When I was living on Mt Adams at 3800 feet I'd wake up to -20 at the cabin, but it would be -30 down in Berlin. The cold air settles into the bottom of the valley.

It's slowly warming up as the storm starts to move in, already seeing a few snow flakes.

atraildreamer
02-14-2015, 17:01
Winter blizzard Neptune just starting here. :( I see the mess developing out my window. Boston is closing for tomorrow. :eek: No MBTA service. They are using machines that melting 350 tons of snow per hour to clear away some of the accumulated snow piles. The head of the MBTA (Metro Boston Transportation Authority) had enough of the criticism :mad: and handed in her resignation, effective in April. The rail system is hampered by outdated equipment and reduced maintenance and was unable to keep up with the accumulation of snow on the tracks. 500 National Guard were called in to help.

Governors of RI and Massachusetts are going to ask that both states be declared disaster areas to get some federal $$$ to pay for the snow removal operations.

Traveler
02-15-2015, 08:54
Neptune didn't leave much snow in NW CT, about 3" overall, but winds today (Sunday) will be around 50 mph, driving windchill to -32. Not doing a lot of snowshoeing today! I hope anyone camping out there is ready for this life threatening cold.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2015, 11:14
We only got a light dusting here in the mountains and no wind to speak of. Still cold though, 11F at the moment, up from a low of 5. Suns coming out now too. Only saw a few cars at the trail head parking lots yesterday, so the storm must have scared everyone away. Presidents weekend is usually a busy weekend up at the Gary Knob cabin.

tiptoe
02-15-2015, 11:42
Just a 1-2 inches here too, but the wind is picking up, and a very cold night (minus 6) is forecast. Had to thaw out a pipe yesterday. Don't think I'll be setting up the hammock just yet.

atraildreamer
02-15-2015, 15:15
Providence got hit with 12-15 inches of snow. The wind was really howling this AM and woke me up. :( Some gusts were 50mph+. :eek: Wind chills of -25 F are expected in the area. :eek: Now, at 2 PM, the sun is starting to make an appearance, :sun but the conditions are still brutal outside. :( Very little traffic, but the roads look OK, if you take it easy.

(Should have moved to Florida years ago, when I had the chance! :rolleyes:)

atraildreamer
02-16-2015, 17:10
Providence got hit with 12-15 inches of snow. The wind was really howling this AM and woke me up. :( Some gusts were 50mph+. :eek: Wind chills of -25 F are expected in the area. :eek: Now, at 2 PM, the sun is starting to make an appearance, :sun but the conditions are still brutal outside. :( Very little traffic, but the roads look OK, if you take it easy.

(Should have moved to Florida years ago, when I had the chance! :rolleyes:)

Great news! The building fire alarm went off a few minutes ago and the water stopped. :eek: Cracked pipe from the cold. :(

You really don't appreciate running water until the faucet doesn't work...unless you are a hiker! :rolleyes:

BTW...more snow coming tomorrow, and for the weekend! :mad: :banana

full conditions
02-16-2015, 17:39
Getting hit right now on Deep Creek with a combo of snow and freezing rain. Still have power but....

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2015, 22:41
The only real advantage I see to this blizzard, blustery season is that I'm getting lots of hours at work covering for those who won't drive in these conditions. What, me worry? It's only snow. Try driving 2K miles with a bored adolescent in tow.....now THAT'S SCARY!!!!

Another Kevin
02-17-2015, 10:21
The storms that are raking the coast aren't doing much here west of the Berkshires. We've got 'only' a couple of feet of snow on the ground.

But that means we're staying inside the Arctic front. It was -8F ambient, close to -40 wind chill, when I was walking to work yesterday morning. A beautiful blue sky at the moments when the blowing snow settled enough to see it! I don't often wear facemask and goggles on my morning commute.

It's positively balmy by comparison now - +4F and calm.

I'm getting a horrible case of cabin fever.

tiptoe
02-17-2015, 10:33
I was feeling cabin feverish yesterday as well, with -9F in the morning. It wasn't until early afternoon, when I went outside, that the mood lifted. After food shopping (mostly an excuse to turn on my car, which I hadn't driven for a couple of days), I dug another path to the house (just in case an oil delivery would be needed) and a channel for snow melt to run off (just in case the snow ever melts). Also filled up the bird feeder and brought in more firewood. None of this was absolutely necessary, but it was gorgeous outside. Birds were singing. My son took the dog to the park for a 2-hour walk, and both of them enjoyed it. I guess we hikers are outdoor creatures.

atraildreamer
02-23-2015, 15:34
RI Dept of Education announcement:

"Due to excessive number of snow days, summer vacation will begin on July 3rd. School will resume on July 5th." :D :banana

...looks like I might have been right. From:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/02/09/will-boston-public-schools-cancel-april-vacation-due-snow/43aLAcCJ6CrxLYJh0eD7VI/story.html

" Enjoy your time off now, Boston Public School students, because your snow days may cut into April vacation. With winter weather closing the city’s public schools yet again on Monday and Tuesday, officials are working out how to make up for time lost during this winter’s historic snowfall.

Cutting into—or cutting out—the break is one of several options officials are considering. Governor Charlie Baker told Boston Herald Radio (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonherald.com%2Fnews_opi nion%2Flocal_coverage):

“I know that some places have started having conversations about April vacation. I think you’ll also see people have conversations about when they’re going to end the year in the spring … And frankly, when you look at the number of days we’re talking about so far, I think everything’s going to be on the table.”

Indeed, everything is: Along with school vacations, Boston school officials have eyed

Evacuation Day (March 17), Good Friday (April 3), and Bunker Hill Day (June 17) as make-up days.

“All options in terms of available days are under consideration,” the department said (http://www.bostonpublicschools.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1).

Necessity drives these drastic measures: Tuesday’s closure brings this winter’s total to eight, the most weather-related closures in the past 20 years. In that time, the average number of snow days in the city was around two and a half, according to The Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html).

The 2014-15 school year was scheduled to end June 19 (http://bostonpublicschools.org/cms/lib07/MA01906464/Centricity/Domain/4/Calendar_and_MarkPer%20SY15.pdf); Monday’s closure extends it to June 30—Tuesday’s, to July, one would think.

But, while Boston students attended school until June 30 four times between 1982-83 and 2013-14, The Globe reports (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html) that the school year was never extended into July.

That’s because, while state law (http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=5984) allows schools to stay open, the union contract requires the school year to begin after Labor Day and not extend beyond June 30.

This makes Tuesday’s preemptive closure problematic, forcing city officials to consider creative solutions to make sure BPS provides the mandated 180 days of instruction.

So, what will it be, no April vacation? Fewer holidays? The dreaded Saturday school?

Or a waiving of the 180-day requirement? State law (http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=5984) allows for it under certain circumstances, and a kid can dream. After all, the 1992-93 school year ended on its 179th day, which fell on June 30, The Globe reported (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html)."

Can RI be far behind?

atraildreamer
03-02-2015, 12:43
...looks like I might have been right. From:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/02/09/will-boston-public-schools-cancel-april-vacation-due-snow/43aLAcCJ6CrxLYJh0eD7VI/story.html

" Enjoy your time off now, Boston Public School students, because your snow days may cut into April vacation. With winter weather closing the city’s public schools yet again on Monday and Tuesday, officials are working out how to make up for time lost during this winter’s historic snowfall.

Cutting into—or cutting out—the break is one of several options officials are considering. Governor Charlie Baker told Boston Herald Radio (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonherald.com%2Fnews_opi nion%2Flocal_coverage):

“I know that some places have started having conversations about April vacation. I think you’ll also see people have conversations about when they’re going to end the year in the spring … And frankly, when you look at the number of days we’re talking about so far, I think everything’s going to be on the table.”

Indeed, everything is: Along with school vacations, Boston school officials have eyed

Evacuation Day (March 17), Good Friday (April 3), and Bunker Hill Day (June 17) as make-up days.

“All options in terms of available days are under consideration,” the department said (http://www.bostonpublicschools.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1).

Necessity drives these drastic measures: Tuesday’s closure brings this winter’s total to eight, the most weather-related closures in the past 20 years. In that time, the average number of snow days in the city was around two and a half, according to The Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html).

The 2014-15 school year was scheduled to end June 19 (http://bostonpublicschools.org/cms/lib07/MA01906464/Centricity/Domain/4/Calendar_and_MarkPer%20SY15.pdf); Monday’s closure extends it to June 30—Tuesday’s, to July, one would think.

But, while Boston students attended school until June 30 four times between 1982-83 and 2013-14, The Globe reports (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html) that the school year was never extended into July.

That’s because, while state law (http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=5984) allows schools to stay open, the union contract requires the school year to begin after Labor Day and not extend beyond June 30.

This makes Tuesday’s preemptive closure problematic, forcing city officials to consider creative solutions to make sure BPS provides the mandated 180 days of instruction.

So, what will it be, no April vacation? Fewer holidays? The dreaded Saturday school?

Or a waiving of the 180-day requirement? State law (http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=5984) allows for it under certain circumstances, and a kid can dream. After all, the 1992-93 school year ended on its 179th day, which fell on June 30, The Globe reported (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/02/snow-days-mount-boston/Tah6jKEIOQag2KwwgvtKVL/story.html)."

Can RI be far behind?
-----------------
...here we go:

http://www.turnto10.com/story/28174139/providence-considers-shortening-school-year

PROVIDENCE - The Providence School District opened Monday after a long break.

Most schools are back in session, but many of them are trying to figure out how they will make up the snow days. Each school has their own plan in place on how they will catch up.

Providence may shorten the school year after all of the winter weather that has caused many snow days for the district. A spokeswoman for Providence Schools says the Superintendent has asked the school board to eliminate one day from the school year, bringing the number to 179 school days down from the required 180 days required by the state.

The city has taken six snow days so far, and school officials are concerned, without a waiver, this school year could run into the week of July 4th.

Monday evening, the school board approved the vote to shorten the scholastic year. The board will now bring the recommendation to the Rhode Island public primary and secondary education system who has the decision on the vote.