PDA

View Full Version : Got snow? Northeaster Juno on the way...

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 12:03
Sitting at my laptop here in Providence, RI waiting for the snow to start falling in a few hours.

Predictions are from 10 to 36 inches of snow, depending on your location. :eek:

Thought I might start this thread to keep track of what it happening in your neck of the woods and how other Whiteblazers are handling the developing storm? :confused:

Stocked up on bread and milk, got my hot chocolate ready and consulted my TV listings...I'm ready! :D

tiptoe
01-26-2015, 12:19
discussion already underway here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108782-Katie-Bar-the-Door-Storm-Coming!

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 12:21
OK, I'll go over there.

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2015, 13:52
When did this nonsense of giving snowstorms names start anyway?

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 14:03

I guess it is an easier way for the general public to keep track of them. I suppose the meteorologists have a number system to keep track. When I was a kid, all the hurricanes had female names. Then the politically correct stuff kicked in and male names were added. The two most memorable storms in New England had no names: the Hurricane of 1938 and the Blizzard of '78.

Traveler
01-26-2015, 14:05

The Weather Channel started naming winter storms a year or two ago, now local TV stations are naming them as well. So each major winter storm can have any number of names. Goofy stuff...

WingedMonkey
01-26-2015, 16:10
Thought I might start this thread to keep track of what it happening in your neck of the woods

Sitting in front of a big plate of fresh, raw, out of the garden, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, Everglades cherry tomatoes and a nice onion dip.

:sun

Strangely...... wishing I was in the Berkshires waiting for snow to hike in.

rdljr
01-26-2015, 16:20
Pondering the wisdom of walking out to the back 20 and testing the winter tent setup. if I go the storm will fizzle and I'll be late for work in the morning. If I do not go then it will be as bad as forecast and I will have missed an opportunity.

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2015, 16:23

I did that Friday night and Saturday around Race Brook falls and Great Barrington. It's a wonderful time to be up there.

atraildreamer
01-26-2015, 18:00
Sitting in front of a big plate of fresh, raw, out of the garden, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, Everglades cherry tomatoes and a nice onion dip.

:sun

Those Florida trade winds really make for a brutal wind chill factor! :rolleyes: :banana

atraildreamer
02-01-2015, 13:27
Here we go again! :( Another 8 - 12 inches of snow to hit Providence. :mad: You can have my share...just come on over and shovel it from around my car! :D :banana

Slo-go'en
02-01-2015, 15:09
Only 4-8" coming this way up here in the Whites, but man it's been cold. We've been having a lot of sub zero nights lately.

I think we got more snow from the little clipper which passed by Friday then the big coastal storm Tuesday. Anyway, a good couple feet of fresh powder on the trails. I did a little snowshoeing the other day and the snow got a lot deeper once I got to about 2,000 feet. You could see it blowing off the summits the last few days, the wind up there has been brutal. I'm no longer geared up for those kind of conditions, so I stay lower down in the woods these days.

The mountains of Maine have been pretty hard hit too. If this keeps up, June 1st SOBO starts will be iffy.

atraildreamer
02-06-2015, 19:47
Here we go again! :( Another 8 - 12 inches of snow to hit Providence. :mad: You can have my share...just come on over and shovel it from around my car! :D :banana

Another 3 days of snow forecast starting tomorrow. :mad: Really getting sick of it. The old snowfall is icing up at night. Makes for exciting walking and driving. :eek: What we need is a couple of weeks of :sun

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2015, 19:57
I'm loving it. Snow tires are on, wood is stacked, crampons are sharpened and snowshoes are in use.

Traveler
02-08-2015, 10:55
This is not a bad "winter". We didn't get snow of any value until two weeks ago.

If you can remember the mid 60s, or the late 70s in the Northeast, this really isn't at the upper end of difficult (with the exception of the Boston area that seems to be a snow magnet this year). Fortunately the ground was super frozen to hold the snow we have and is slowly creating the right conditions for snowshoeing and packed tread ways for microspikes. This is the absolute best season for mountaineering and hiking in my view, no bugs, not many animals, not many people, and the only people you do see are of like mind and usually fun to talk to.

More snow this Monday and Thursday should get us some good conditions into March if there isn't any more.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2015, 11:57
More snow this Monday and Thursday should get us some good conditions into March if there isn't any more.

I'm betting we'll get at least one really good storm in March, maybe even early April. The snow is slowly piling up around here, but we have a long way to go before it's of epic proportions. But man, has it been cold. We've had weeks now where the temps haven't gotten much above single digits and the wind chill 20 below. Yesterday was a heat wave, got all the way to 21. Today it's 7 with light blowing snow. I'm getting a little too old to enjoy playing in the snow at those temps!

peakbagger
02-08-2015, 13:20
I have been in the whites since 1987. There were definitely several years with more snow than this year, its just we got spoiled for several years with low snow years. The weather pattern also has shifted. We used to get snow around Thanksgiving which stayed on the ground and it snowed consistently through December. The snow now seems to hold off until late December with most of it occurring late January into February which is the pattern this year. The other major change is that the majority of the snow comes from Northeasters coming up the East coast. As I live in the Northern whites much of the snow stay south. It is quite noticeable that the snow banks are higher down near the coast. Previously the storm track was west to east and once the great lakes froze up for the winter, we had fewer big storms but a lot more small ones.

On the other hand I was out breaking trail with snowshoes yesterday and even with my powder shoes I was sinking 12 to 18 inches deep in some spots as much as 30" as there are some intermediate crust layers. Barebooting was not an option as it was crotch deep or deeper in spots. It was work breaking trail but walking back over it made a nice trail. If not for the next storm, I expect it would be barebootable in a few days.

The great part about a good snowpack is the winter hiking in late February and March is usually great. The undergrowth is locked in under the snow and after a few warm days and cold nights the crust forms and it opens up a lot of bushwhack routes. If the conditions are right, the hiking is a lot faster in the snow and the views cant be matched. Of course eventually it melts and there goes spring hiking.