PDA

View Full Version : Linville Gorge - River Crossings

Stale Cracker
10-28-2005, 23:27
I have never been to Linville Gorge but it looks like an interesting place on the map. Two of the trails are shown crossing the river. What kind of crossings are these? Wet? Specifically the Spence Ridge Trail seems to offer a way to cross from the east to the west side of the river and put together something of a loop.

Thanks

The Solemates
10-28-2005, 23:59
unless they have built bridges since i have been there, the river crossings in linville gorge are quite interesting. its really rare that you find such trails without bridges these days, although the horse/backpacking trails in pisgah are an exception, which makes it really fun to cross.

ive always wanted to do a "thru-hike" of the 30-or-so mile trail through the gorge but havent ever gotten around to it. it would be easy to stash a bike on one end and ride the dirt road back to your car when you are finished. would make a great weekend trip. and if you are there, be sure to check out the lookout atop bear mtn on the far side of the gorge. better yet, get there before dark and watch the sunset from a great view.

Stale Cracker
10-29-2005, 12:35
The bike is a good idea. I'll try and put something together like that. You think its 30 miles from end to end? cool!! Want to go next weekend?

littlelaurel59
10-29-2005, 13:35
There are no bridges at the crossings. You are on your own. I have only day hiked in the gorge. It is beautiful.

shades of blue
10-29-2005, 14:19
I have hiked the linville gorge trail. It is a wilderness trail, so be prepared for no blazes, and few signs. I would definately take map and compass and know how to use them. The only signs are at the connection of trails heading from the rims of the gorge at both the forest service road, and it's connection to the linville gorge trail. To "thru-hike" the linville gorge trail, I would hike S to N putting in on the Pinch in trail, hiking to the southern end of the trail, then back track and continue North. There is a great campsite not far from where the pinch in trail connects to the LGT, south maybe .5 miles. There are seven west rim trails to get you back to the forest service road if you need to. Pinch in trail is very, very steep...that's why I would hike s to n...to avoid hiking out on that primitive trail. Your hike out could be either bynum bluff trail, or pine gap trail....pine gap is fairly easy.

The eastern rim forest service road goes to hawksbill mountain and table rock mountain. Table rock is the more famous mountain in the Linville gorge wilderness, but Hawksbill is my "sacred" place. It is one of the coolest places in the area. It reminds me a lot of Macafee knob in VA, but not as public and crowded. Short off mountain reminds me a lot of tinker cliffs in VA also. Lots of hawks and falcons in this area. AWESOME place. If you hike into the gorge, stop at the rangers office on the Western rim forest service road as you have to have a permit to camp in the gorge overnight between May and the end of October.

I did a search... the linville gorge trail is 11.5, pine gap is 1 and pinch in is 1.5 but don't be decieved...this is MUCH more difficult hiking than lots of the AT (not counting NH and ME) and will take alot more time finding your way and going through blow downs. Great place though...you'll really enjoy it...just be prepared!

shades of blue
10-29-2005, 14:27
I just realized that you didn't really ask about thru hiking the Linville Gorge trail...just about river crossings.

If you want to hike and do loops...I would recommend the Western rim and do Conley cove trail to Linville Gorge trail to either sandy flats trail or bable tower trail (bable tower is really cool, overlooks a horseshoe bend in the linville gorge wilderness. Devil's hole trail is very primitive and difficult to follow, not impossible though. Spense ridge trail I haven't hiked, so I don't know. The short off trail from table rock to short off is a good trail, I liked it, but you don't get down to the river. It truly is a beautiful area. Don't forget to go to Linville Falls while you are there. It's not part of the trail system in the gorge, but you can reach it off the blue ridge parkway, or at the forest service road on the western rim of the gorge. I live about 40 minutes from this area, and it's where I go to play alot. It's well worth the trip.

swift
10-29-2005, 15:11
you can get across the river without getting wet at all crossings unless the water is running high. Very easy hiking thoughout the gorge, the only serious elelvation changes are going down to the river and back up to the USF road. The trails are not marked as previously mentioned but at this time of year they should all be highly visible...maybe not as well when you get towards the rear of the gorge. Regardless the trail does follow the river, use common sense.

shades of blue
10-29-2005, 15:27
I hiked it in June...so the foilage issue should be quite different, I agree. Just be careful...we read in the paper almost every year of hikers having to be rescued down in the gorge. Following the river is definatly accurate, but sometimes you gain elevation away from the water, or go past a horseshoe bend and don't see the river...that's where the compass can help out. With a map, compass and common sense, it shouldn't be an issue.

The Solemates
10-31-2005, 14:24
I The eastern rim forest service road goes to hawksbill mountain and table rock mountain. Table rock is the more famous mountain in the Linville gorge wilderness, but Hawksbill is my "sacred" place. It is one of the coolest places in the area. It reminds me a lot of Macafee knob in VA, but not as public and crowded.

hawksbill is what i was referring to when i mentioned bear mtn. i got the names mixed up.

The Solemates
10-31-2005, 14:26
The bike is a good idea. I'll try and put something together like that. You think its 30 miles from end to end? cool!! Want to go next weekend?

thats a drive for me just for a weekend. i will actually be in the smokies next weekend anyways. sorry...

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 18:07
Any of you saw those haunted brown mt.lights that has drove the scientistcrazy for years

chknfngrs
11-01-2005, 09:26
It is indeed a very nice place to be...No crowds b/c of it's status as a wilderness. however, expect people in aforementioned Chimney/Table Rock area.

Years ago I did a hike with my dad: started out at the rocks parking lot, camped out in one of the cliffside sites, and hiked into the wilderness to the south the next day.

We got turned around VERY easily and instead of pushing it, decided to turn around. Not only that, we ran into several muzzle loading hunters wearing buckskin clothing, like Lewis & Clark era trappers would. That in and of itself spooked us out, and instead spent another night amongst the Chimneys. While dad cooked, I bouldered! I remember seeing campfires across the gorge, over to where the forest service roads were created for anything but a Dodge Colt.

So I suggest go, with map, and tear it up. It is, as stated, sacred ground. I spent 4.5 years exploring the areas around ASU and it's definitely one of my faves!

TrailSweeper
11-08-2005, 12:57
How is the trail from Table Rock over to Shortoff? Last time I was there it was full of deadfall.

Marta
11-08-2005, 13:28
For planning hikes in NC this fall, here's a link to the various deer seasons:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_04_hunting.htm