PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a "Group Area" and a "Group Site"

Just Tom
01-26-2015, 14:19
Does anyone in the CT region know what the difference is between a "Group Area" and a "Group Site"?

For reference, you can see them both listed on the CT AMC trail map here: http://ct-amc.org/trails/images/CTATmapbrochureB.pdf

Thanks!

pnyberg
01-26-2015, 16:25
Tom,

I never noticed the different terminology. It would seem that a "Group Area" is a camping area that is to be used exclusively by larger groups. I believe this is true for both Paradise Lane and Ball Brook, for instance. A "Group Site" appears to be a campsite that can be used by non-groups, but also has an area within it designated for use by groups. I know this is true of Sages Ravine.

--Peter

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2015, 16:28
I'd be interested to know what either of them means. CT really likes posting signs and instructions, but I have no idea if those "group" designations are anything more than suggestions.

Just Tom
01-26-2015, 16:42
But Ten Mile River is also fallged as GA and certainly does have a regular camp site too. Seems kind of haphazardly labeled, or the definition isn't exactlly what we think?

pnyberg
01-27-2015, 17:30
According to the 2014 edition of the ATC MA-CT trail guide, the Ten Mile River Shelter and Ten Mile River Camping Area are 0.2 miles from each other. Each has it's own privy and pump. So, I think it would be reasonable to consider these to be two distinct camping areas despite the fact that there's only one call-out on the AMC brochure/map.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that if the "GA" designation for Ten Mile River is accurate, it applies to the Camping Area only, not the shelter. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a group-only shelter. And, if the terrain is suitable, you can pitch a tent or a hammock near the shelter, just like you can at any other shelter.

Just to muddy the water a little bit, the ATC trail guide makes no mention that the Ten Mile River Camping Area is intended for groups, or for that matter that it can even accommodate a group.

That said, it would be my opinion that if a camping area is designated as a "Group Area" or an individual site in a mixed-use area is designated as a "Group Site", that this is not just a suggestion, and if you're not part of a group, you shouldn't be camping there. But, there a much worse sins...

--Peter

Just Tom
01-27-2015, 17:45
Thanks (to you and the others that posted). What you all posted makes sense.

RED-DOG
01-27-2015, 17:46
I believe Group Area and Group Site would mean the same thing. or Group area would mean like living area such as cooking and sitting around talking and group site would mean sleeping area, but I believe it means the same thing

Just Tom
01-27-2015, 17:58
The gist from everyone else, and from my own visits to these sites, is that GS means there is a Group Site among the tent camping sites. Sages Ravine is a great example with 7 tent sites and 1 group site. A Group Area means the whole dang thing is for a group only, there are no individual tents sites. It makes sense after hearing the explanation from everyone.

RED-DOG
01-28-2015, 10:39
thats cool but personally i never paid that much attention to it i camped when and where i needed too, i am sure i camped in a group area a few times and stealthed camped in areas i shouldn't have thats COOL too.

liptackj
02-16-2015, 16:39
Tom,

I never noticed the different terminology. It would seem that a "Group Area" is a camping area that is to be used exclusively by larger groups. I believe this is true for both Paradise Lane and Ball Brook, for instance. A "Group Site" appears to be a campsite that can be used by non-groups, but also has an area within it designated for use by groups. I know this is true of Sages Ravine.

--Peter

Peter has it right. For all practical purposes, any group site or area is suitable for group usage.
Jim Liptack
CT-AMC Overseer of Trails