PDA

View Full Version : Theft on the trail

ctebeau
01-27-2015, 13:10
Just curious what hikers tend to do with their packs when in town, shopping at a store, exc. I can understand leaving your pack behind at a hotel or a hostel, but I am not planning on staying in town too many nights. Any advice?

Slo-go'en
01-27-2015, 14:06
In a supermarket with carts, put it in or under the cart. Small stores and restaurants often have a space near the door where you can park your pack, ask the clerk. Some places will have a sign "no packs inside" so you'll just have to leave it by the door next to the ice box or soda machine. If your with someone, you can take turns watching the packs. Just don't put expensive sunglasses on top of the pack and walk away or the glasses might.

If it's a short walk to a store from the trail, less then a mile, you can stash you pack in the woods. I go a 100 feet or so up the trail and find a down tree to lay the pack behind. Just remember where you put it!

Don H
01-27-2015, 16:19
I try to never let my pack get out of sight. That includes bathroom breaks along the trail or going to get water.
In grocery stores I put it in the shopping cart, no one has ever said anything to me about doing that.
Restaurants are tough, most don't want you to bring packs in. I try to sit where I can at least keep an eye on it.
Some stores, like Cabela's in Hamberg will check your pack at the customer service desk and keep it in a secure place while you shop.

strogiyogi
01-30-2015, 14:59
I never let my pack out of my sight. Like other people said: grocery stores- put it in the cart; restaurants- sit where you can see it.

MuddyWaters
01-30-2015, 21:59
I like my pack in my sight, or locked away. On the trail its always with me, unless a trusted person watches it. A bear can drag it off in a blink. Chances of anything bad occurring are slim, but consequences too severe.

Fireonwindcsr
01-30-2015, 23:58
I like my pack in my sight, or locked away. On the trail its always with me, unless a trusted person watches it. A bear can drag it off in a blink. Chances of anything bad occurring are slim, but consequences too severe.

Ditto to always keep in sight.... I also plan on bringing a lightweight lock.... The kind that secures a laptop computer.... Long, retactable metal cord. Just me.... Never can be to safe. I've even heard of some carrying motion detectors..... Now that's interesting.....

Del Q
01-31-2015, 15:29
I am a bit paranoid........everything I have is in that pack except my clothes. Agree with all statements made this far.

Met someone years ago who almost had his pack stolen. They did get off with his (very cool) special hiking stick.

Coffee
01-31-2015, 16:11
It is easy to say that a pack should never be left out of sight but often very difficult in practice. There are places that flat out prohibit packs inside. For example, last year I was hiking a section of the AT and came upon the Elkwallow Wayside in Shenandoah National Park. The way it is configured, it is impossible to leave the pack outside and order from the grill. They prohibit packs inside. So while as a rule I don't like leaving my pack, when prepared food is calling I take calculated risks. I never leave my money, ID, phone or camera inside the pack so I'm not totally screwed if it gets stolen. I do carry lots of cottage type gear that would be hard to replace regardless of money, however. That is what is scary about leaving a pack. Not only losing the money but also having to end a trip prematurely. We all have different levels of risk tolerance for this sort of thing. Its something that the solo hiker has to learn to deal with.