PDA

View Full Version : Adding side strap to Ohm

overthinker
01-27-2015, 15:25
I'll be bring my Ohm 2.0 and Moment DW TarpTent along with me on my thru this year. If you've used the Moment, you'll know that it doesn't cram into a weird soft lump - there are small poles that support the ends that are a pain to remove. So, I just end up rolling the tent around those supports and putting it in the factory bag.

This makes packing the tent into my bag a bit of a challenge. I've either always used a tent that is totally soft with the poles removed (and then stored on the outside of the pack) or a tarp set up. It's proving to be difficult to get the tent into my pack and have everything still be evenly weighted.

I've got the idea to put the tent on the outside of my pack, with the end stuck into one of the water bottle pockets - they're giant on the Ohm. This, however, leaves the top of the tent unsecured and flopping around as I walk. I could put everything under the compression straps on the side of the bag, but I'm worried about damaging both the pack and the tent by doing so.

To correct this, I'm thinking of adding some sort of strap to the body of the pack that I can then use to secure the tent. Does anyone see a problem with this? Some of the materials seem a bit fragile to start sewing new things onto the pack, but maybe I'm just a weenie. I could put some shock cord on there, or sew on some nylon webbing and a tension lock, or maybe just some static cord and a line lock.

Any thoughts?

bigcranky
01-27-2015, 15:48
I added a longer compression strap, and used that. Worked pretty well.

colorado_rob
01-27-2015, 16:14
Have they changed the Ohm? Mine has nylon yellow cinch-cords that work great for me; I store my roll-up sleeping pad in one side pouch, secured above with that yellow cord wrapped around it in a couple places. Maybe your tent is too bulky for this, but my cord, at least, has plenty of slack.

overthinker
01-27-2015, 17:59
Yeah, I've got plenty of slack in that to work, I'm just concerned about damaging something since I'd also be using those straps to compress the pack. But it sounds like I've lived up to my name yet again.

Studlintsean
01-27-2015, 19:18
Not sure how the size of the momen compares to the contrail but I roll the contrail up in the stuff sack and store it in the side of my circuit. My brother has the OHM and id have no issues doing the same with that pack.

map man
01-27-2015, 19:48
I have an Ohm 2.0 and I use the big mesh pocket on the back of the pack to store my Wild Oasis tarp (and stakes and one pole for it), groundcloth, rain jacket and pants, plus a spare water bottle. It holds a lot more than you might think. Do you have other plans for that storage space that preclude putting your tent there?

overthinker
01-27-2015, 21:34
I have an Ohm 2.0 and I use the big mesh pocket on the back of the pack to store my Wild Oasis tarp (and stakes and one pole for it), groundcloth, rain jacket and pants, plus a spare water bottle. It holds a lot more than you might think. Do you have other plans for that storage space that preclude putting your tent there?

Don't worry, I'm using that space very well. I wouldn't want to put the tent in that pocket, though, since it has the small end supports that I can't remove. Rather have them on the side to avoid pressure points on the mesh - although I doubt I'd hurt the mesh, it stretches so much.

July
01-28-2015, 00:20
When fullyloaded for long distance you probably won't be "compressing" the Ohm very much, it will fill up and hold shape. The external compression shock cord will be fine to secure your shelter, wet socks, bandanas, occasional bird feather.

bigcranky
01-28-2015, 08:26
On my Ohm that cord on each side of the pack wasn't stretchy. I remember this because I used it a couple of times as a tent guy line under really windy conditions. ULA may have changed that, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

overthinker
01-28-2015, 21:13
Yeah, the side cord isn't stretchy, just really long. The mesh pocket is really elastic, though.