PDA

View Full Version : Share shuttle from Atlanta airport to Springer in early April?

gillian
01-27-2015, 16:20
I'm planning to start a NOBO in early April and just started looking up shuttles and rates. Is anyone looking at a similar timeline and interested in splitting a shuttle from the Atlanta airport? It looks like some of the shuttles charge about the same rate for one person as for two, so it would be really nice to share the ride. Plus it's more environmentally friendly, so wins all around.

I'm looking at about April 7th (the flights are slightly cheaper for me that date) but would be flexible since this could be a pretty big savings, too.

gillian
01-27-2015, 16:42
I'm planning to start a NOBO in early April and just started looking up shuttles and rates. Is anyone looking at a similar timeline and interested in splitting a shuttle from the Atlanta airport? It looks like some of the shuttles charge about the same rate for one person as for two, so it would be really nice to share the ride. Plus it's more environmentally friendly, so wins all around.

I'm looking at about April 7th (the flights are slightly cheaper for me that date) but would be flexible since this could be a pretty big savings, too.

MountAndew
01-27-2015, 17:19
I'll likely be flying in within a day or two of April 7, if not on April 7. I'm looking at staying at the Hiker Hostel the day I fly in, just to get my bearings before I start and get a chance to talk to people who have done it before. They shuttle from Atlanta to their hostel and from there to the trail and have a special for thru hikers. $80 for the shuttle service, a nights stay at the hostel (including breakfast) and enough fuel for your stove to make it to the first supply point. I know they also offer just the shuttle service, but I'm not sure what their rates are. I'll let you know when I know my schedule for sure, maybe at the very least they'll give you a cheaper rate for the shuttle if you get picked up at the same time as me or someone else that's planning on staying at their hostel.

gillian
01-27-2015, 17:26
Thanks, MountAndrew. I think I want to hit the trail when I get into town, as I will likely be pretty fresh and not craving the luxury of a hostel yet (and again prefer to save my money for when it will make a bigger difference for me). I'll keep it in mind if it ends up being the more cost effective option, but would lean towards heading straight to the trail personally. But maybe we can work something out with them to get us each to our destinations. Let me know what you decide on for travel dates and we can go from there.

adamussg
01-28-2015, 09:28
Hi. I was planning on starting the trail on the 5th...but have no timeline I need to adhere to so the 7th would work for me. I'll be flying into ATL from Philadelphia. I'm hiking GA to PA. :)

adamussg
01-28-2015, 09:30
Id like to pick up a ticket next week while prices are still low. :)

Coffee
01-28-2015, 09:37
Look into the Hiker Hostel thru hiker special:

http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/

gillian
01-28-2015, 18:21
adamussg - I'd be happy to grab my ticket in the next week or so as well. Each of these milestones definitely makes this feel more real for me! I'll PM you and we can try to work out some details.

Coffee - Thanks for the suggestion! I'd personally rather hit the trail right away when I get into town, so unless that ends up being a cheaper option I'll probably just go with a shuttle. Definitely helps to have the option though!

msumax1985
01-28-2015, 18:48
Suggestion: Take the MARTA train from the airport up to North Springs Station. There is a station right in the airport. Then have your shuttle pick you up there. It will be a much cheaper shuttle from there.

Or, the stop before North Springs is Sandy Springs. There is an REI across the street, and several other restaurants there. In case you arrive at different times, the first one would have something to do while waiting. You could have the shuttler meet you at REI.

http://www.itsmarta.com/airport.aspx

I've used Hiker Hostel and recommend them. If you dont want to stay there, talk to them about shuttle only. They likely are making a trip down to MARTA every day, anyway. They might fit you in. But then you'd need to get shuttled over to the trail. After a long day of travel, it would be nice to stay there and start the trail after a nice breakfast the next morning.

adamussg
01-28-2015, 20:00
Yeah I'm gonna have to pick up some butane before hitting the trail.