PDA

View Full Version : wieght loss

neo
10-29-2005, 13:35
i lost 19 lbs in 12 days on my last section hike,i have section hiked from amicola falls in ga to dalton ma from 2001 to 2004,i usaully do 20 to 25 miles a day,on my last hike i finished last week i only hiked 149 miles from kinsman notch to manchester vermont,the weather was very rainy,i ate alot of food both in town and on the trail,i wieghed 192 when i started and wieghed 173 when i finished,thats a lot of wiegh loss,i have never experinced that kind of loss on my other hikes,has any one else lost much wieght on short hikes:cool: neo

Pacific Tortuga
10-29-2005, 13:53
WOW! It sounds like you ate enough. Did you feel hungry or weak? You know,if you can find the answer,write a book go on Oprah make big bucks and hike and eat all you want......forever:jump

neo
10-29-2005, 14:07
WOW! It sounds like you ate enough. Did you feel hungry or weak? You know,if you can find the answer,write a book go on Oprah make big bucks and hike and eat all you want......forever:jump

i ate all the wrong stuff pizza candy bars,lots of every thing with fat and sugar:cool: neo

Pacific Tortuga
10-29-2005, 14:17
I can see it now "The Wrong Stuff Diet" If you didn't exercise that would be up to 51% of America's dream diet. :clap

chris
10-30-2005, 13:55
I'd guess you simply didn't take in enough calories to fuel your needs. On the PCT, I lost about 20 lbs over the course of 105 days and 2650 miles of hiking. I ate a lot of food, including lots of candy bars. On the AT I lost some weight over 48 days and 1150 miles of hiking, but not terribly much. Same diet. On the GDT, I was stable, but wasn't pushing up as many miles.

NoKnees
10-30-2005, 19:10
A few years ago I did most of the long trail in the early spring. I don't keep a journal to know for sure but it seemed like it rained, snowed or sleeted for 15 or more of the 20 days. I brought a lot of food (my packing list for the trip says 850g/day) yet I was continually hungry. I know that on extended winter trips I have amazing caloric requirements. According to packing list for winter trip in the adirondacks I packed 1000g/day and I remember eating it all. So I expect that its the cold that drives up food requirements. I wouldn't be suprised if it doubles the caloric requirements. On the trips I take to the Sierra in the summer I carry 600-650g/day of food and I always come home with leftover. But I have found the summer in the sierra to be very mild.

I can only imagine how much food I would need on a winter trip long enough to devlop hiker hunger.