PDA

View Full Version : NOBO from Len Foote Hike Inn

BrianOH72
01-28-2015, 13:19
I'll be section hiking the AT this coming June and need some advise/input on the first part of my hike. I've decided to do the approach trail and stay a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn. I was planning on doing roughly 15 mile days and with it being 4.4 miles to Springer I was only going to hike to Hawk Shelter the first day. My plan was to stay at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap which is around 31 miles. Is it possible to try to get to Gooch Mountain Shelter putting in 20 miles on my first day? I'm just attempting to map out my route and trying to avoid two nights on the trail before Neels Gap. Any input is welcome. As always thank you!

saltysack
01-29-2015, 08:34
It would be a stretch starting out....Ga is a ball buster starting out...imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full conditions
01-29-2015, 09:25
There's a series of fairly steep ups and downs between Hawk Mountain and Gooch Gap that I thought was fairly tiring - my memory of that stretch is one of my strongest recollections of my thru in Georgia. My first day was Amicalola to Springer - not too bad; second day - Springer to Hawk Mtn - pretty easy; third day - Hawk to Woody Gap - really tiring - definitely the hardest of the first three - for me at least.

BrianOH72
01-29-2015, 11:03
Ok thanks for the input. I think I'll add a stop between Hawk and Neels Gap. Do you think that is doable? Also after Neels Gap do you think it's to much to try for 15 mile days? On the average day how many hours would one be hiking if not stopping much?

Speakeasy TN
01-30-2015, 14:19
Going to depend a bit on whether you get a 95 degree June or 85........ Lots of hours to hike in June so 15 is doable. You will love Len Foote.

BrianOH72
01-30-2015, 15:02
I'm also planning on staying at Mt LeConte Lodge on my way through the GSM. It shows it about 5.5 miles off the trail. Any idea on a time frame to hike from the AT to there each way? Also do you know if it's worth staying at? Thanks!

Trance
01-30-2015, 15:23
I did Springer to Gooch Gap, in a torrential downpour, 9am-5:30pm. I stopped 15mins at Hawk Mt Shelter to eat quick. It was not exactly what I would call difficult.

Was my first foot on the trail. It can be done easily, as long as you condition beforehand, and your pack isn't 50+ pounds like most people at Gooch.

A difficult hike was when I did NOC to Fontana 9am - 10:30pm in one day. I should have stopped before dark but I decided to keep going and ended up rolling in to the hilton with my head lamp on. I also ended up with a nasty, nasty blister.