PDA

View Full Version : Marking posts as read..

poison_ivy
10-29-2005, 13:40
It used to be that I would log in (using new posts), read the threads that interested me and then when I logged out the other threads would automatically be marked as read.

Now the threads are not going away unless I read them, so every time I log in I have hundreds of threads.

How do I mark everything as read before I leave (or get things to go back to working like they did before?)

Thanks!!
- Ivy

hikerjohnd
10-29-2005, 13:43
Excellent question - I would like to know the same thing...

attroll
10-29-2005, 14:13
You can go to the navbar and pick QUICK LINKS and then MARK FORUMS READ if you want to do that. Otherwise it will remember that you have not read those posts and keep coming up letting you know that they have not been read.

poison_ivy
10-29-2005, 15:12
Ah, there it is. :) Thanks Rick! :)

- Ivy

Just Jeff
10-30-2005, 14:51
Troll,

The "Read New Posts" button between the last post and the Quick Reply box is showing up as a red x. Looks like you need to make sure the image file is uploaded.

attroll
10-30-2005, 17:20
Troll,

The "Read New Posts" button between the last post and the Quick Reply box is showing up as a red x. Looks like you need to make sure the image file is uploaded.

Thanks Jeff. I just fixed it.

Rain Man
10-30-2005, 23:00
You can go to the navbar and pick QUICK LINKS and then MARK FORUMS READ if you want to do that. Otherwise it will remember that you have not read those posts and keep coming up letting you know that they have not been read.

Rick,

This "improvement" is a major step backwards in my opinion. It also seems to slow down the system/downloads quite a bit. I'm getting a lot of "connection refused" error messages and blank white pages that load automatically after the home page originally loads. I vote you change it back to the way it was, though I know this isn't a democracy (and probably that's for the best!).

If it's not going to be changed back to the way it was, then at least have a very easy, obvious button to clear all messages, rather than burying it down some series of menus. Just another suggestion.

Thanks for all the hard work and hours you put in!

Rain Man

art to linda
10-31-2005, 10:48
I have the unread posts thing fixed now but I still get a blank white page when I first log on..... hit the web addy again then the page loads. So what do I do to fix that?
I know it always takes a while to work the kinks out of something new, you do a great job Attroll, Thanks

attroll
01-26-2006, 03:23
Rick,

This "improvement" is a major step backwards in my opinion. It also seems to slow down the system/downloads quite a bit. I'm getting a lot of "connection refused" error messages and blank white pages that load automatically after the home page originally loads. I vote you change it back to the way it was, though I know this isn't a democracy (and probably that's for the best!).

If it's not going to be changed back to the way it was, then at least have a very easy, obvious button to clear all messages, rather than burying it down some series of menus. Just another suggestion.

Thanks for all the hard work and hours you put in!

Rain Man

wbdent As far as it being a step back with the message being marked read. I don't think so. Here is why I don't think so. Before if you logged onto the site and you started reading all the new messages and you for some reason had to walk away from the computer for more then 15 minutes then it would default to marking all new messages read so when you got back to the computer there would no longer be any new messages. Or if you logged on and only had time to read half of all the new messages and then logged off and came back later hoping to read where you left off, you couldn't because it mark all the new message up to that time you were last on as being read. So you missed a lot of the new messages. Another issue was if you receive a email saying you had a PM on WhiteBlaze and you logged onto WhiteBlaze just to read your PM and did not read all the new messages at the same time and expected to log on later to read them. You could not because it marked all the messages from your last time you logged on as read. But that is my take on it. Everyone has there opinions and they are entitled to them. I like it because sometimes when I log onto WhiteBlaze and there are over 300 new past. I don't have time to read them all in one sitting. So I can now log off and log back in later and it takes me to where I left off and I don't miss any unless it is my choosing.

attroll
01-26-2006, 03:24
I have the unread posts thing fixed now but I still get a blank white page when I first log on..... hit the web addy again then the page loads. So what do I do to fix that?
I know it always takes a while to work the kinks out of something new, you do a great job Attroll, Thanks

Did you ever get this fixed? I missed this post for some reason.

Roland
01-26-2006, 03:42
As far as it being a step back with the message being marked read. I don't think so. Here is why I don't think so. Before if you logged onto the site and you started reading all the new messages and you for some reason had to walk away from the computer for more then 15 minutes then it would default to marking all new messages read so when you got back to the computer there would no longer be any new messages. Or if you logged on and only had time to read half of all the new messages and then logged off and came back later hoping to read where you left off, you couldn't because it mark all the new message up to that time you were last on as being read. So you missed a lot of the new messages. Another issue was if you receive a email saying you had a PM on WhiteBlaze and you logged onto WhiteBlaze just to read your PM and did not read all the new messages at the same time and expected to log on later to read them. You could not because it marked all the messages from your last time you logged on as read. But that is my take on it. Everyone has there opinions and they are entitled to them. I like it because sometimes when I log onto WhiteBlaze and there are over 300 new past. I don't have time to read them all in one sitting. So I can now log off and log back in later and it takes me to where I left off and I don't miss any unless it is my choosing.
BINGO!!! I agree, attroll. It is a huge improvement. I hope you're not considering going back to the old method.

attroll
01-26-2006, 03:47
BINGO!!! I agree, attroll. It is a huge improvement. I hope you're not considering going back to the old method.

No we are not going back. I was just pointing out why I thought it was a big improvement. The old way stunk to put it mildly.

Heather
01-26-2006, 10:11
I like the new way better too.

rhjanes
01-26-2006, 10:47
(I admin an unrelated site). Yes, this is WAD (Working As Designed). There are some settings the admin can mess with, but this is really the better way! Also, if you logon, finish what you wish to read, then do the following. This will mark them as "read" and they won't show up next time (unless there are new post!).
Look at the tool bar near the top. One of them, towards the right, is "quick links". Click it once. Second item down is "mark all post read". Click it. Then, logoff. Now, the software starts over and next time you logon, be it 10 minutes or 10 days, you only see the new post since the moment you clicked the link. Sort of "like the old way", except YOU control it!

HTH's.