PDA

View Full Version : Seeking my ideal pot, if only they made it...

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 11:30
I've got more pot sets than I care to admit, but I have not found that ideal pot yet. So I'm hoping someone out there has seen just what I'm looking for and can point me in the right direction.

Based upon the items I'd like to pack in it, its spot in my pack, the quantity of food / water, the stove I use, and the style of cooking I like to do my perfect pot would be 5" wide and 6" high. That happens to be about 1.6 liters, which allows me to cook for two. Pots of that capacity tend to trend wider and shorter, which is not what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to actually cook (more than just boiling water) so I think that anodized aluminum would be the best material.

So the million dollar question is...has anyone seen a pot like this before?

Connie
01-29-2015, 11:44
The GSI website is huge: GSI has many choices of cookware for camping and hiking.

Maybe this one?
http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/halulite_microdualist The measurements are close: 5.6 top x 5.5 bottom x 5.9 H

HooKooDooKu
01-29-2015, 11:58
The first pot that comes to mind (but doesn't meet your volume/height spec) is the MSR Quick Solo. It's a 1.3L pot that is 6.75 x 3.75 (much shorter than you're asking). They used to make a titanium version that I still see on sale every once in a while. The current version is aluminum. One thing I like about this size is that if you don't have too many other things filling up the space inside the pot, the Sea-to-summit alphalight (short) spoon fits inside.
Campmor looks to still sell the aluminum pot by-it-self, but more common to find the pot as a 'set' that included an insulated mug: http://www.campmor.com/msr-quick-solo-pot.shtml
The current aluminum pot (without the mug) is 7.5oz.

Otherwise, the closest thing to you're specs I know about off hand is the MSR Trail Lite Duo (a 1-1/3 lbs misnomer set). The 2L pot is 5.5" x 6.25". The set comes with nesting bowls and insulated cups.

swonut
01-29-2015, 12:02
GSI dualist family of nesting pots seem to fit the bill give or take 100ml or so.

Starchild
01-29-2015, 12:10
Jetboil Sumo (I think that's what it is called), if you want simmer ability perhaps the Minimo burner mated to the Sumo.

bigcranky
01-29-2015, 12:14
I'd need to go home and measure it, but I think my Snow Peak 1400 Ti pot might fit the bill. In my aging memory, at least, it's more tall than short. And it's great for cooking for two.

http://snowpeak.com/products/trek-1400-titanium-scs-009t?variant=671149753

perdidochas
01-29-2015, 12:16
I've got more pot sets than I care to admit, but I have not found that ideal pot yet. So I'm hoping someone out there has seen just what I'm looking for and can point me in the right direction.

Based upon the items I'd like to pack in it, its spot in my pack, the quantity of food / water, the stove I use, and the style of cooking I like to do my perfect pot would be 5" wide and 6" high. That happens to be about 1.6 liters, which allows me to cook for two. Pots of that capacity tend to trend wider and shorter, which is not what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to actually cook (more than just boiling water) so I think that anodized aluminum would be the best material.

The GSI Hallulite 1.8 is 5.8 wide and 6 high. Weighs 11 oz.
http://gsioutdoors.com/activities/pdp/halulite_1.8_l_boiler/ultralight_backpacking

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 12:17
I know it is going to sound strange, but the 5" width is the dimension that matters most to me putting the pot where I want it in packing. (Is everyone else this crazy about getting their packing system just right?)

The GSI 1.1 L boiler is listed as 5.00" x 4.80" x 5.10"

The GSI Soloist is listed 5.00" x 5.40" x 5.50".

I guess that is HxWxD but it makes the boiler .3" deeper than it i wide (can you say oval pot?) while the soloist is much wider with only a .1" difference in width and depth (which makes more sense given the handle). (Anyone know for sure which is height and which is diameter with these two)?

These are both shorter than I was looking for by a solid inch.

RED-DOG
01-29-2015, 12:19
check out the GSI soloist cook set i think you might be impressed with it.

Connie
01-29-2015, 12:45
That GSI cookware is tapered.

I found one, perhaps. I put it at my first post.

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 12:54
That GSI cookware is tapered.

I found one, perhaps. I put it at my first post.

That is really close! A bit wider than I was looking for though, not sure it will fit...

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 15:01
check out the GSI soloist cook set i think you might be impressed with it.

Anyone with the soloist, can you confirm the pot width excluding the handle? I cannot figure out how the 1.1L boiler has the same capacity and same height but is 1/2" narrower...

Connie
01-29-2015, 16:12
GSI Soloist
4.75 (top) x 4.5 (bottom) x 4.75 (height)

The carry bag is 5.25 (diameter) overall with the handle folded in place over the lid or not.

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 16:24
GSI Soloist
4.75 (top) x 4.5 (bottom) x 4.75 (height)

The carry bag is 5.25 (diameter) overall with the handle folded in place over the lid or not.

Thanks...and wow were the published measurements terribly off!

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 17:26
Given the discrepancy on the Soloist, does anyone own the microdualist suggested by Connie that can provide an actual set of measurements on the pot excluding handle?

Connie
01-29-2015, 18:06
The GSI Soloist is 5.5 (overall height) with carry bag and lid in place.

Just Tom
01-29-2015, 18:18
The GSI Soloist is 5.5 (overall height) with carry bag and lid in place.

Max diameter of 4.75 is the one that struck me as most not matching the two other dimensions from the product website. But I guess the carry bag etc can account for that...

In any case, I'm looking for the pot diameter excluding the handle and bag of the micordualist, if anyone has one.

OhioHiker
03-08-2015, 22:35
I am also looking for that perfect pot. I might check out the MSR Titan Kettle.

I am looking for something wide and able to hold gas, burner, mug, spork?, lighter, few packs instant coffee

CalebJ
03-08-2015, 22:39

Have you looked at the Olicamp XTS? Capacity is a little off (you trade capacity for a heat exchanger that improves boil times and saves fuel). Dimensions are 4.5" wide x 5.3" tall.

Mountain Wildman
03-09-2015, 01:02
The Mors Pot is close: http://fourdog.com/1-8-liter-mors-camp-pot/
Tight fitting lid /wire lid knob
Wire bail handle
Great for cooking over an open campfire
Butterfly folding side handles
Hard anodized aluminum(seals and surface hardens' the aluminum to give a tough durable semi non-stick surface, highly scratch resistant and almost as strong as stainless for the same thickness,)
USA made--new stock.Free shipping in USA only
Wt. of pot = 11 oz (308 grams)
5.75" tall x 5.75" wide
Capacity 1.8 liters (2 quarts

Odd Man Out
03-09-2015, 09:55
I was looking for a pot with very similar specs (about a 1:1 height to width ratio and anodize Al). I also wanted folding handles located near the top of the pot (so they didn't get too hot), and a tight fitting lid. The only difference was I wanted a 1.0 L pot (for one person). I found it in the Olicamp pot. It comes in two versions - with or without a heat exchanger. I got the XTS version with the heat exchanger. Sorry if it is isn't quite big enough, but it's close.

http://www.olicamp.com/cookware/