PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek wind shirt?

squeezebox
01-29-2015, 20:49
So Is tyvek breathable enough to be a decent wind shirt with out all the sweat and condensation issues. Zpacks has a ripstop nylon wind shirt $110 2 oz. Tyvek painters jump suits with hood cost about 6-8 $ . wt would not be much different. I would make the jacket a little long, and buy another suit to make draw string pants. Frogg Toggs just tear too easily to be a serious consideration.
Your input appreciated.

kayak karl
01-29-2015, 20:56
Frogg Toggs are tougher then tyvek suits. i rip through a suit in one day painting. 2 doing insulation.

Connie
01-29-2015, 21:28
O2 rain jackets are relatively inexpensive, if you are considering a rain jacket as a windshirt.

I just got a windshirt 67% off at Sierra Trading Post.

Another consideration: a golf shirt.

Violent Green
01-29-2015, 22:17
No, Tyvek is not nearly as breathable as even the least breathable wind shirts. A poor breathing wind short is 5-10cfm. Tyvek is something like .3cfm.

Ryan

squeezebox
01-30-2015, 03:38
So are wind shirt and pants important enough for me to persue this further? Plus the issue of carrying more stuff.

Connie
01-30-2015, 04:19
Wind is a major consideration, in Montana.

I have a lightweight and close-fitting windshirt for over my first layer.

I have a larger fit and more durable wind anorak or wind jacket for over my second layer.

Both "windshirts" are water resistant and have DWR.

Many people make the larger fit and more durable wind anorak or wind jacket a wind proof rain jacket.

In this manner, a "windshirt" is a part of the layering system. However, you may only have one wind proof rain jacket. It depends on the weather, ventilation for perspiration from exertion (getting soaked inside your protective clothing!) and getting "chilled cold" or "cold and wet" from not having the protective layers, that for just enough and not too much insulation and not having the wind and a little water resistant shell or the wind and "it's raining" resistant shell because if you wear the all out it's raining hard outer shell, it had better have side seam zips or chest zips or hugh pit zips to get ventilation so you are not perspiration soaked wet.

The happy news: there are lightweight versions of each layer we need.

It may be from workout wear for a gym, golf, tennis, bicycling, running, triathlete, fishing, hunting, military, no kidding. The high school wrestling team might have a windbreaker jacket.

Once you realise what the layers have to do their job, look around.

The best layers may already be in your closet.

One person, here, posted how he "put together" his layers from things he already had.

He just hadn't thought of it that way before.

Connie
01-30-2015, 04:31
Do you get dripping wet sweat? I never do, no matter what. My clothing doesn't get soaked from perspiration. My clothing gets damp from perspiration, at the most. I need breatheable layers, not a net shirt or a runners singlet, and, not agressive moisture-transport specific clothing. Reasonable moisture transport clothing is enough for me.

Is your rain a heavy fog "mist" that soaks your clothing? Is your rain, raining cats and dogs? Brief showers?

Evaluate the layers, you need, by the likely and expected inside climate and the likely and expected outside climate.