PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Angel Springs UL2

Robb871
01-29-2015, 22:25
So I just ordered one of these off of cheap and steep for a pretty darn good deal. Never had this one in mind for my current tent purchase, but it was hard to pass up! Any thoughts on this tent. I'm hoping it will make a good three season. I will be using it for backpacking...not the lightest, but not too terrible either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robb871
01-30-2015, 09:49
Steep and Cheap I mean. Sheesh.

DeerPath
01-30-2015, 14:53
I sold my Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 and have regretted it. I too just ordered Angle Springs 2 today to replace the BA CS2. It appears to have the same dimensions, a few ounces lighter and more ventilation. I'm excited about it and I got it for $259. not the $399 for the BA CS2.

Robb871
01-30-2015, 16:58
Awesome!!! I'm a little worried about how to pack it though. It's seems a little large. Maybe keep the poles separate....possibly strapped to the outside of the pack and then wad the rest material into a stuff sack.

DeerPath
01-31-2015, 12:26
Awesome!!! I'm a little worried about how to pack it though. It's seems a little large. Maybe keep the poles separate....possibly strapped to the outside of the pack and then wad the rest material into a stuff sack.

I packed the BA CS in its bag and attached it to the bottom of my ZPacks Arc Blast pack. I stuffed the tent and footprint in the sleeping bag spot on my Osprey pack and the frame in the side pocket. Worked well for me. I'll pack the Angle Springs the same way.

Allshookup
02-02-2015, 10:16
Here is my follow up review of the Angel Spring UL3 that I picked up back in March of 2014. After two weekend camping trips that summer I have to say the tent was near perfect. Let me start off by saying this thing is huge (43sqft floor space) for a tent that packs down to the size of a small cantaloupe (w/o the poles) and weighs just over 3lb total. Setup is simple but you must get the poles in the proper corners (silver to silver & gold to gold) and the center pole hub must be facing down otherwise you will have to start over (yes I started over). Practice in the backyard a time or two and you will be fine. It is completely freestanding but staking it down is recommended. There was plenty of room for two people and gear inside, you could sleep 3 but it would be tight and gear would have to be left outside. It has pockets everywhere to maximize storage options and to keep thing within reach. With the center height of 44" there was no problem sitting up or even squatting / hunching inside the tent.

The ventilation on the tent is amazing with the two roof vents and the unique rear high wall rain fly. I never had any condensation inside the tent. The zippers run very smooth, I only had a couple of times that they got caught up (most likely my fault from a loose pitch). I feel if the tent is pitched taunt then you can operate the zippers one handed.

Now how does it handle the rain? Well on my last trip it rained nearly the whole time. We had it all sprinkles, thunderstorms, flash flooding and 40-50mph winds. At one point there was 4" to 6" of water running around and under my tent. To my amazement nothing inside was wet. I didn't even have all the guidelines staked down.

Picture before storm.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28621&d=1413206227&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28621&d=1413206308)
Picture during storm.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28623&d=1413207359&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28623&d=1413207359)

If you're in the market for a light weight 2 or 3 person tent give the Angel Spring UL series a hard look.

Robb871
02-02-2015, 10:35
Nice review! Makes me feel confident in my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeerPath
02-02-2015, 11:02
Nice review! Makes me feel confident in my purchase.

Ditto.......................

spidey
02-02-2015, 13:40
I have the Angel Spring UL 3 .... I had a copper spur ul2 but hated the way the doors opened always a hassle not to kneel or step on them just wasn't for me so I sold it.

When I was researching a replacement read Allshookup's reviews and went with it.

The Angel Spring only has one door versus two but not an issue for me plus I travel with my wife and two dogs or just me and the dogs and got a heck of a lot more room for a 4oz penalty.

I had campsaver price match steep an cheap and before they made recent changes to their web site I was able to stack the price match with the 20% off sale they were having so for about $220 with footprint it was a no brainer.

Love this tent....

Robb871
02-04-2015, 21:30
Got my Angel Springs UL 2 in today. Set it up in my living room. I really really like it. Very light. Very roomy. If I take the poles out I can get the tent body and fly down to the size of a large grapefruit. Don't know if i will pack it that way or just roll it all up and strap it to the bottom of my pack.

jupiterkn
02-08-2015, 16:40
Just bought BA Fly Creek UL2 any thoughts?

spidey
02-09-2015, 15:38
Robb871

When I pack my Angel spring UL3 I always do the poles and stakes separate. I like to put the poles straight up in the pack then the rest of the tent in loose in its bag fills up the pack area better to me no dead spaces in my pack then.

Robb871
02-09-2015, 16:24
Thanks for the advice!!

ANTHEM76
02-16-2015, 14:19
Is the footprint necessary with this tent?

spidey
02-16-2015, 16:02
Anthem76 really only if you want to do the fast pitch setup, otherwise get some duck brand window film off Amazon and cut to the size you want if you feel you want a footprint.

colorado_rob
02-16-2015, 16:07
Is the footprint necessary with this tent?don't waste your money nor carry the extra weight of a footprint. Unnecessary, despite claims of some on here about their tent floors failing with soft pine needles or some such thing. I've been using UL tents for a dozen years (and backpacking for 45), never had a poke-through and I've camped in some pretty rugged places. get polycro if you must (like gossamer gear or that window stuff).

memphistiger02
02-24-2015, 10:48
The Angel Spring UL3 and 2 are on sale again. I am kinda looking for a 2 person tent, looking at the angel springs ul3 and the slater ul3+ I wish I had a place close to me to see how small they back down. Right now I have a Marmot Limelight 4.

spidey
02-24-2015, 12:55
The Angel Spring UL3 and 2 are on sale again. I am kinda looking for a 2 person tent, looking at the angel springs ul3 and the slater ul3+ I wish I had a place close to me to see how small they back down. Right now I have a Marmot Limelight 4.

I have the Angel Spring UL3 the tent poles and stakes in their sack are roughly 20" long by 3" wide when packed, tent, fly and ground sheet are roughly 20" long by 8" round packed loosely but I can get it down to 10"long by 9" round b compressing about the size of a volleyball...

memphistiger02
02-24-2015, 13:02
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is pretty small for a tent that size.

Duramax22
02-24-2015, 20:01
The angel springs is awesome!!! I have the Ul3 for me and the old lady and it ventilates like no other big agnes tent. It packs really well and has survived a few heavy snows as well a rain and wind. the ventilation is the big selling point for me, it has never had heavy condensation in summer or winter.

Robb871
02-24-2015, 20:39
I really like it so far. Only issue has been when I lay doing really flat in it, my feet and my hair touch each end. I'm 6'3" and didn't think this would happen. Not a huge deal unless it gets my down quilt wet.

memphistiger02
03-06-2015, 12:50
So is it really 90 inches long? I might buy the ul3. I want a 3 person tent that really fits 2 people but can be carried by 1.

Butch_Lodi
03-06-2015, 13:02
I would definitely get the footprint, here's why. On my flycreek ul2, when it's raining, I set the tent up in fast fly mode. Then I rig the tent up inside the fly and very little water gets on the tent. The footprint only weights 5 ounces so the added weight is no big deal.

Robb871
03-07-2015, 11:25
I don't know....I'll set it up again and measure when I get home in a couple days.

memphistiger02
03-09-2015, 09:52
I think I am buying the UL3 today. Im 6'0 so I hope it s ok.

memphistiger02
03-13-2015, 21:10
I like it, but can someone help he with how to attach the footprint to the tent? Or do I just stake it down. I know it's probably a stupid question

Rex Clifton
03-13-2015, 21:44
The way I like to do it is stake down the footprint, then attach the poles. Then spread the tent inside and attach the tent feet to the poles/fly, attach the clips and, finally, the fly. There is a YouTube video of someone setting up a flycreek this way, here is the link. Its in Chinese, but you'll get the idea.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2(上)--搭帳: http://youtu.be/740b1kQKwHQ