PDA

View Full Version : Site sprucing up

SGT Rock
01-18-2003, 17:26
When we brought the WhiteBlaze back up, some of the graphics and format were lost. Troll did a great job getting the site running while I was out in the field, but now I feel that the site needs some sprucing up.

First is a New logo. I like the idea of Wh[]teBlaze.net, so I tweaked it a littel. Any feedback?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=741&papass=&sort=1

Next three are some ideas to replace the smiley faces icon's that show when there is or isn't a new post.

1. New Messages: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=742&papass=&sort=1

2. No New Messages: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=743&papass=&sort=1

3. Locked Forum: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=744

Thanks. Any changes will have to wait until Troll gets back because I can't find the password to the ftp :confused:

P.S. I found a copy of Kerosen's article on my hard drive, so I can restore that one too.

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2003, 22:04
you ROCK!!

SGT Rock
01-18-2003, 22:35
I don't understand easy. Throw me a bone man, you know I'm an amature.

SGT Rock
01-18-2003, 22:39
My wife says the AT symbols are too big. What do y'all think?

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2003, 22:51
:D hh

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 11:55
I've got the Kerosen Article, Jack's Article, and the photo page header fixed.

New gren buttons and AT symbols for threads, all that is left that I can tell is the links section and maybe one or two other small items.

Have a good weekend. Oh, and come add to the Hiker Lexicon on http://hikinghq.net/forum/ (shameless plug):-?

Minerva
01-19-2003, 12:36
Yah your wife is right, make the AT symbols a wee bit smaller.
Cin:D

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 12:44
I very much like the new buttons and site layout. I would like to see a shaded version of the "no new posts" button rather than the color equal to the background. I was actually confused as to which was which when I first saw the new layout.

The white marker in the title pic has this sick neon green surround. Just break up the edges of the marker so it looks like paint.

I've always been for 4 color schemes, one for each season...

Spring: A deep green.
Summer: A golden color.
Fall: A brownish red.
Winter: A glacial blue.

All these colors can be cut with white to be easier on the eyes, like the current background is. Little touches like this take little effort, but spark new enthusiasm.

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 12:54
Minerva, I can do that, it only takes a few seconds.

Raging Hampster, that can also be done, but it would take a while. There is a way to make multiple color settings then each user can select the settings they want. I suppose there could be a base setting, then make one for each season, then the user could pick what they wanted to see.

Lime green border, yeas, it sort of annoys me too. It was my first shot at the logo and I wanted to make sure it showed up well.

attroll
01-19-2003, 13:13
Yes agree. The white blaze in the logo does have a weird green neon around it. I think if you took that out it would look fine. Maybe the blaze could be just a tad bit smaller. I also think the icon in the main forum section are a tad bit to big. I noticed that when you click on New Post that they are smaller though. I don't knowwhy it does that.

I just put in a mod in before I left town for the weekend that shades the area that your mouse goes over so that all you have to do is click on the box instead of putting your mouse right on the link. But I did not finish the mod. I have to get it to work on the New Post area. I will finish it when I get back from my weekend. I am sneaking on the computer right now at a friends.

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 13:17
The mouseover works well. The icon is bigger on the front page because it is actually a different file and the at one is bigger.

I'll tweak some of this today.

I'm not about to start making multiple lay outs yet LOL.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 13:55
The blackborder blaze looks better now. That neon green sickly thing was annoying!

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 14:00
Actually it is now a very dark forest green. but who is splitting hairs. I also have re-sized the AT icons on the front page to where their height is the same as the tables they go in.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 15:01
If you don't mind, I'm going to copy and edit that logo to make the blaze look like it's painted. Then I'll eMail it to you and see if you like it.

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2003, 15:05
Rock, I think everything looks great, keep up the good work. One thing: Check your intro, where you make reference to the "indented" purpose of the site! Otherwise, outstanding-looking work!

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 15:13
Roger, good call. I also just put back up pages for the support, journals, and links pages. Nothing substantial on them, but no more dead links.

I'm about to take a break today, but I hope y'all will e-mail in the suggestions for links and journals, thus saving me a bunch of browsing.

BTW, have I mentioned I need y'all to go post on my Lexicon?:D

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 16:01
Hey rock, I just sent you the edited whiteblaze logo. For some reason the photo section won't let me upload anything. Is this a part of the site no longer functional?

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 17:12
The gallery should be working. What is the error message?

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 17:38
"you must choose a name for your upload" or something along those lines. It was named by the way. Before this I was getting a message telling me I had exceeded my 0KB upload capacity.

By the way, did you get my logo Rock?

SGT Rock
01-19-2003, 17:43
Yep, I got the logo. The whiteblaze looks a little funny.

I got the same error message. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 17:50
I tried to make the blaze look like flaking paint, rather than a solid faceless block. I could outline it in black. We'll see how that looks...