View Full Version : Shovel

NoSew
01-30-2015, 21:46
What shovel do you carry?

or

What do ya do with your poo?

squeezebox
01-30-2015, 22:07
My Ti trowel weighs 0.4 oz about 10 grams, works better than a stick.

Connie
01-30-2015, 22:20
Has anyone experience with the MontBell Handy Scoop? Is it strong enough to dig?

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124258

Sirsnappy09
01-30-2015, 23:13
Stick or heel of shoe in. Soft ground. Easy to ' scoop' one up in a hiker box. One of the first things ditched usually.

handlebar
01-30-2015, 23:51
QiWiz who posts here sells a titanium potty trowel in 3 sizes. I have the "big dig" and it works really for digging.

bat_manatee
01-31-2015, 00:19
REI Snow Stake.

Its aluminum, about 9in long and weighs 1oz.

costs $1.95

Makes a great spade...and get this, it can also be used as a stake!

Ken.davidson
01-31-2015, 01:48
I use a titanium tent peg, it has a dual use and it is lighter and works better than the shovel I had. Thanks to Winton Porter March 2013 at Mountain Crossing outfitters.

Francis Sawyer
01-31-2015, 13:33
People have been pooping out of doors since the beginning of time without lightweight shovels to bury the poop. But I guess lots of people earn a living selling junk to gear-obsessed hikers.

kayak karl
01-31-2015, 13:53
my stick is cheaper :D

Frye
01-31-2015, 14:05
People have been pooping out of doors since the beginning of time without lightweight shovels to bury the poop. But I guess lots of people earn a living selling junk to gear-obsessed hikers.

I have no desire to live like my ancient ancestors. I doubt very much they cared about the finer art of burying their goods, and personally I don't think dysentery would be very fun.

I also much prefer using a trowel, as sticks and stakes suck. I'm out there to enjoy myself, not to dig a bayonet hole.

JJMorse
01-31-2015, 14:18

Not on a diet of pop tarts and little debbie cakes. But more importantly, just think for two seconds what it would be like near campsites w/out privies on the AT if everyone (thousands of people every year) just pooped and didn't bury it. Oh, and how about those water sources? Part of the reason we bury is the toilet paper too... Stupid comment.

But anyways, I also use QiWiz's Big Dig trowel and I think it's great! Very light and perfect for the application. Many people don't bother and just use a trekking pole, a stick etc. and I'm sure that's usually fine but I don't like privies and plan to dig a cathole almost every morning, so it will be plenty worth it for me.

Francis Sawyer
01-31-2015, 14:38
What I meant is...one can bury ones poop without buying a shiny new toy to do so. I suppose some people feel like real hikers when they can prattle on and on about which gizmo is the best and how much they spent on it. I understand HYOH but jeeze.

Frye
01-31-2015, 16:40
@Francis, Obviously you don't understand it...

@JJ, Qi's trowels are life changing!

bcok
01-31-2015, 16:49
@Francis, Obviously you don't understand it...

@JJ, Qi's trowels are life changing!
Based on your comments on the GD thread, neither do you! [emoji6]

Frye
01-31-2015, 16:57
Based on your comments on the GD thread, neither do you! [emoji6]

Shutup hippie! =D

Five Tango
02-01-2015, 16:29
Yup,ditched my old orange plastic trowel for the Qiwiz standard size one that actually works!

Deacon
02-01-2015, 17:44
Yup,ditched my old orange plastic trowel for the Qiwiz standard size one that actually works!

I've used the QiWiz big dig trowel for a couple of summers now. One of the most useful pieces of equipment I own. I don't think I've ever dug a hole that didn't have rocks and roots to get through for a large enough hole. That said, I just don't believe those who say they use their heel, a stick, or their pole. At least I can't dig one as they say.

HooKooDooKu
02-01-2015, 20:29
Shutup hippie! =D
The plastic orange trowels are a total waste. If the ground is soft enough for that trowel to get the job done, then you likely can follow the advice of these people who say you don't need a trowel.

But in the places I tend to hike (GSMNP), the ground is sometimes hard and almost always full of root. In these sort of places, the notion you can get the job done with just the heel of your boot is ludicrous.

So if you're going to get a trowel, get one strong enough to deal with these tough conditions. I can see something like a tent peg being a possible substitute, but I think you'll have to get your hands in the dirt more than you would need to with a trowel.

rock steady
02-02-2015, 19:41
HooKooDooKu is right on.The word ludicrous is not too strong.Our waste needs to be buried--away from camp.Think about norovirus and dysentery.If you don't care about yourself at least show some courtesy to the rest of us. THANKS !

slbirdnerd
02-03-2015, 13:17
I don't carry a shovel but if I did I'd get a Deuce of Spades. I haven't had to dig a hole yet but off the trail, the forest floor is very soft and the heel of your shoe, a stick, trekking pole, etc., should work.

http://www.theoutdooradventure.net/2014/10/the-deuce-of-spades-by-the-tent-lab/

squeezebox
02-03-2015, 14:15
Can you really dig a big enough cat hole with a boot heel or stick? The Qiwiz Ti trowel sounds like so much faster and easier for the 12 gram wt.
All the other trowels weigh 3 oz. plus, 100 grams.

Rocket Jones
02-03-2015, 14:33
You do realize that you dig the hole afterwards, then use the stick to push your poop into the hole. How many people are out there using their trowels to dig a large hole so they can hit the target?

I use a snow stake.

swjohnsey
02-03-2015, 15:21
I use the same hole bears do . . . do . . . do do, whatever.