PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Gear for a late start date

TrentletonPhillips
01-31-2015, 22:01
Making my first attempt at a NOBO thru-hike this summer, and have a question regarding cold gear vs. warm gear.

Do most people bring cold gear to start with the plan to switch it out for warm gear at a specific point? Or do people for the most part pack what they need for the entire trip.

I am planning what seems to be a late start, leaving Springer mid to late April or early May (depending on when I'm financially ready).

Thanks for the input

Slo-go'en
01-31-2015, 22:20
Starting late April or early May it will be warming up quickly so you need minimal cold weather gear to start. And depending on how fast you hike, you may not need any to end. Better to start out light and switch out to heavier cold weather gear when and if you need it.

If you were starting in March or early April, that would be a different story.

swjohnsey
01-31-2015, 22:22
I would bring some light cold gear, fleece top, hat and mittens, plus your wet weather shell, to start. Ditch it, bounce it afte Mt Rogers 'til Whites. With a late start you could see cold weather at the other end.

map man
02-01-2015, 11:00
Many late-April/early-May starting thru-hikers, as swjohnsey suggests, hold on to their cold weather stuff through the end of May at least, and then get it sent back to them for the New Hampshire and Maine end of the hike. Every year lots of thru-hikers get lulled by a warm spell, send stuff home, and then wish they had held onto it longer when inevitable May cold snaps arrive.

I hiked the Hot Springs to Damascus section in mid-May in 2013 and wore my beanie and light gloves and Nanopuff insulated jacket most evenings and mornings in camp. There were a couple nights when I was really glad I had my 20 degree bag to sleep in rather than my 32 degree bag.

peakbagger
02-01-2015, 13:50
I would strongly suggest sending you cold weather gear so you have it prior to the whites. Having it sent to Gorham NH is too late as the place you may first need it is the whites.

johnnybgood
02-01-2015, 14:01
I personally would keep it through the Grayson Highlands. Once reaching Atkins,Va. then bounce it, definitely before Gorham as previously mentioned.