PDA

View Full Version : Prayers, Success Stories, No Bad Vibes!

Mrs Baggins
02-01-2015, 10:48
So spunky, feisty, outspoken Mrs Baggins, she who never gets sick, has always (right or wrong) bragged about her robust health at age 59, is planning to backpack the Smokies in May, and walk the Camino de Santiago in September.....

I found out this past Friday that I have a "pelvic mass", most likely malignant, and probably ovarian. The ocologist thinks it's been there about 6 months. HEADS UP LADIES!!! My ONLY sign was that my belly button had suddenly gone rock hard. That was it. No weight loss, no bleeding, no swollen glands, nothing. I hadn't had a "well woman" check up in a few years but I've been told that even though I did schedule one for mid-February, odds are excellent that without the hardened belly button the mass would have gone undetected by a simple pap smear. While cervical cancer can be found that way, ovarian apparently can't be. The oncologist told me that it's "not the worst kind to happen" (really - because right now it seems like it is) and once it's removed I'll be in chemo 3 - 8 months. I told him about my plans to walk the Camino and he told me not to cancel them. Maybe he just wants to give me hope...even false hope. I don't know.

What I want from all of you is the power of prayer. And if you're not a prayer person you can still push all of the positive thoughts and vibes that you can muster my way. I'm not going to hide this nor hide behind it.

moytoy
02-01-2015, 10:58
Our prayers are coming your way. I have a stepdaughter going through the same thing at 43 YO.

imscotty
02-01-2015, 11:35
Prayers sent your way Mrs. Baggins. I have prayed for your health and also that you complete your hikes. May God bless you.

T-Rx
02-01-2015, 11:39
Prayers for you Mrs. Baggins. May God bless you and return you to excellent health.

illabelle
02-01-2015, 12:18
As a female of 55 years, I felt a twinge of fear reading your account. We will all die of something one day of course, but my plan is to live healthy and strong all the way to the ... whatever happens at the end. Nobody plans on getting sick, wasting away, becoming weak, feeling awful, losing mobility, losing independence, saying goodbye to the dreams we have for our years in retirement. When a person gets a bad diagnosis, it's an awful shock, and a terrible, hard thing to adjust to.
I pray that your doctors are skilled, that treatment is effective, and that recovery is swift. May God bless you.

Speakeasy TN
02-01-2015, 13:19
Best wishes coming your way! Always a bright side, This year I will be on the AT. Next Spring, after you beat this, we can hike the Smokies together and you can tell me all about the Camino!

4shot
02-01-2015, 13:44
I will join others in sending prayers and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2015, 16:25
Prayers to you. You sound like a strong woman and you'll bounce back from this. My wife has been battling stage 4 breast cancer now since August 2008. She is strong willed like you. She lives life every day with gusto. God bless. :) :) :)

johnnybgood
02-01-2015, 16:36
Prayers and good vibes being sent your way . Keep strong with the faith.

thestin
02-01-2015, 16:44
Prayers for your quick recovery!

Thinspace
02-01-2015, 17:29
Prayers coming your way! Looking forward to hear your account of Camino de Santiago!!

hooshr
02-01-2015, 17:50
Thoughts and prayers are with you.

VTX88
02-01-2015, 18:45
I hope the best for you!

Right on.

VTX88
02-01-2015, 18:47
Sorry "Right on" was the signature,

Bearleg
02-01-2015, 21:04
You will be in my thought and prayers. Thanks again for the ride to Pen Mar my first of many section hikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frye
02-01-2015, 21:11
So spunky, feisty, outspoken Mrs Baggins, she who never gets sick, has always (right or wrong) bragged about her robust health at age 59, is planning to backpack the Smokies in May, and walk the Camino de Santiago in September.....

I found out this past Friday that I have a "pelvic mass", most likely malignant, and probably ovarian. The ocologist thinks it's been there about 6 months. HEADS UP LADIES!!! My ONLY sign was that my belly button had suddenly gone rock hard. That was it. No weight loss, no bleeding, no swollen glands, nothing. I hadn't had a "well woman" check up in a few years but I've been told that even though I did schedule one for mid-February, odds are excellent that without the hardened belly button the mass would have gone undetected by a simple pap smear. While cervical cancer can be found that way, ovarian apparently can't be. The oncologist told me that it's "not the worst kind to happen" (really - because right now it seems like it is) and once it's removed I'll be in chemo 3 - 8 months. I told him about my plans to walk the Camino and he told me not to cancel them. Maybe he just wants to give me hope...even false hope. I don't know.

What I want from all of you is the power of prayer. And if you're not a prayer person you can still push all of the positive thoughts and vibes that you can muster my way. I'm not going to hide this nor hide behind it.

I spent two weeks in the hospital this past year because of a cancer scare. Thankfully for me it turned out to be something else but I know exactly the sort of feelings you must be going through.

My prayers are with you 100%. Stay tough toots!

One Half
02-01-2015, 21:29
Perhaps its just a fibroid mass or something like that. Perfectly harmless. Just remove it. Wishing you WELL.

canoe
02-01-2015, 21:37
Keep the faith, keep your chin up....prayers sent for you

Rain Man
02-02-2015, 00:55
Happy to say a prayer for you, Mrs. Baggins! We still talk of your trail angelship, down here in Nashville.

Here's a photo of Tim and Mrs. B with us at the Old South Mountain Inn for Sunday brunch about 100' off the AT. A fun time!

Rain Man

gypsy97
02-02-2015, 01:15
I am sending you all the good thoughts and vibes I can, and pray that you will soon be on the road to recovery! Attitude has a lot to do with it, and you seem to have a super positive attitude. Blessings to you.

Trailweaver
02-02-2015, 01:32
I had some similar bad news last year, and was facing serious surgery. Before I was to go into the hospital, I determined that I wanted certain "comfort" things to go with me and be there for me to hold, look at, and think about while I recovered. I gathered some things together and put them in a small basket to take to the hospital, and it helped so much to just know that my "comfort" basket was close by. It's silly, I guess, but it worked. . . I took a tiny bottle of water from Bly Gap, some photos, a guidebook for my next trip, and a river stone from a special kayak trip I'd made. There were other items too, but you get the idea.

You could have someone hold onto your comfort items until you come out of surgery and then get them. Hang in there, and have someone let us know periodically how you are progressing. We are all wishing you Godspeed, and look forward to a trip report when you make your next hike.

rocketsocks
02-02-2015, 05:58
Mrs. B, well wishes comin' your way. Have a family member who just finished 6 months of chemo for ovarian cancer, and she's doin' pretty well. My wife just past her 5 year mark cancer free as well. If you have any questions about any of that stuff, please feel free to PM me. My family wishes you all the best.

Bucketfoot
02-02-2015, 06:49
Mrs. Baggins I will pray for you!.I am 65 yrs and thank GOD every day that I have the good health to hike the At and do all the other physical activities I enjoy.I will be praying for your return to good health and that you get to do all the things you like to do. Hike on and GOD bless you !

rock steady
02-02-2015, 16:15
My prayers go out for you. I agree w/all the above posts.A lot of friends are praying for you! Take care and God bless. Keep us posted.

gsingjane
02-02-2015, 20:39
Mrs. B, same here. We have had cancer in our close family and thank the Lord, we have been able to keep on keepin' on. Refiners fire you know? Prayer ascending, dear... and love,

Jane in CT

futureatwalker
02-03-2015, 03:52
Positive thoughts your way... the Camino sounds like a terrific goal - let it carry you through the next few months - and look forward to the day when you can post your trip report here on WB.

bigcranky
02-03-2015, 08:10
Sending out positive karma in your direction. Hang in there and be strong.

Rocket Jones
02-03-2015, 14:00
Good thoughts coming your way.

Trish
02-03-2015, 20:57
Praying for you right now. I am a big believer in the power of prayer. God bless you.

Rain Man
02-18-2015, 11:49
Mrs. Baggins just wrote me to share with WB:

Hey Rain Man! Thank you much for all of the prayers, well wishes, and good thoughts while I've been enduring the surgery and all.

I was hoping that you could go to Whiteblaze and let them know that Mrs Baggins is on the trail to recovery. You can let them know that it's ovarian and cervical cancer and they also did a hysterectomy, removed my spleen, my appendix, and a tiny piece of bowel. Chemo starts soon and should last for 6 mos. I would love the collective prayers and positive thoughts of my beloved hiking family. They tell me here that at 59 I'm doing so well and am so tough because I hike.

Best wishes! Oh, and the answer is a cheeseburger on the deck at The Tavern in Harpers Ferry!

That last part answers a question of mine when she said earlier today that she finally had permission to eat solid food again. When she was a sweet trail angel for my group section hike through Maryland, we all ate at The Tavern after she took us home first for showers at her house. :)

A fantastic lady and one reason WB can be an awesome place.

Rain:sunMan

canoe
02-18-2015, 12:49
Glad to hear she is on the trail to recovery. Prayers for her as she undergoes continued treatment. Hang in there girl!

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:24
Mrs. Baggins just wrote me to share with WB:

That last part answers a question of mine when she said earlier today that she finally had permission to eat solid food again. When she was a sweet trail angel for my group section hike through Maryland, we all ate at The Tavern after she took us home first for showers at her house. :)

A fantastic lady and one reason WB can be an awesome place.

Rain:sunMan

.Mrs. B, glad your doing as well as could be expected, your attiude seems great, that's huge towards recovery in my book. Wishing you a easy time through chemo and your return to posting, but more over hiking...all the best!

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:25
Mrs. B, glad your doing as well as could be expected, your attiude seems great, that's huge towards recovery in my book. Wishing you a easy time through chemo and your return to posting, but more over hiking...all the best!Oops, thanks for bringing this Rainman...your a good friend.

Seatbelt
02-18-2015, 14:02
Just now noticed this thread, will definitely be praying for a full recovery!

attroll
02-20-2015, 20:43
It is always sad to hear that a friend and WhiteBlaze member gets bad news like this.
We all seem to take life for granted, so much that we forget that it can be taken from us at any given time and from something we do not expect. I know I am guilty of this. I had a cancer scare like this and I am being monitored for it now.
I am glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery now. I hope you the best and if you need anything don't be afraid to ask. You have a lot of us behind you.

Trillium
02-21-2015, 10:52
I also just noticed this thread and am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I will be praying for you. I am also hoping to hike the Camino.

OnlyJohn
02-23-2015, 20:43
I'm praying for you right now.
Only John

Speakeasy TN
02-24-2015, 11:20
Very happy to hear that things are progressing nicely. Chemo will be a piece of cake after trail food! See ya soon on the trail

Mrs Baggins
02-25-2015, 20:26
Found out today that chemo will start this Friday and go every single week for 9 months. I will not be doing my walk of the Camino this year. :( Thank you all for your prayers, kind words, positive thoughts.

shelterbuilder
02-25-2015, 22:33
I just found this thread today. Good luck with the chemo. You are in my prayers. Stay strong. Cancer - of ANY kind - can be life-altering, but it also can be beaten. (from one cancer survivor to another)

squeezebox
02-25-2015, 23:58
Chemo is a really rough ride. Sounds like you are a really tough woman. You'll need it. Fight hard and win. We all know people that beat cancer. All of them had to fight and fight hard. Would love to hear some good stories of the accomplishments of cancer survivor. Sounds like you are a survivor. Live well!!

Hangfire
02-27-2015, 20:00
Prayers from San Diego. Think positive, before you know it you will be standing in Saint Jean holding a scallop shell and your pilgrims passport wondering what you have got yourself into...but don't worry, it's a trip of a lifetime!