PDA

View Full Version : AL Pinhoti section

i-Lan
02-01-2015, 13:00
My girlfriend and I are looking to do a section of the Pinhoti over Presidents Day weekend. I was hoping I could get some of your input on our plan.

The plan as it stands would be to drop our car off somewhere, do a short, easy and hopefully nice hike with her sister Saturday morning, then continue on the trail back to the car on Monday. So three days, two nights total. We are both fast and capable hikers capable hikers and were thinking of doing somewhere around 50 miles (10 the first day with her sister, then 20 the next two), but are very open to doing more or less.

Any suggestions as to a route? I was thinking of starting at the turnipseed trailhead and continuing to Lake Chinnabee with her sister, then the Skyway Loop Trail to Adams Gap and up the Pinhoti to US 431 or FS 500 where are car will be. Does this sounds reasonable? I'm having a hard time telling how far this is, but it seems like it's in the mid to upper 40's in total mileage with some nice views and campsites along the way. Are these trailheads safe places to leave the car? Any better suggestions?

Thanks a ton for the help! I'm looking forward to getting out and seeing what the Pinhoti has to offer.

Mountain Dog
02-01-2015, 16:27
Go to http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/ and you can calculate miles for all routes you envision. FYI turnipseed to adams gap is probably only 10 miles. I personally would park behind the park store, start 50 miles out, and hike to the car. The site I gave you gives you plenty of info to plan your trip as to camping, shelters, water, and trailheads.

golfjhm
02-01-2015, 19:01
These are a few years old but should be very helpful with water and campsites and mileage. If link doesn't work then just search mr parkay maps Pinhoti.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/115301875129738936287/album/5045694999416543121?banner=pwa

gubbool
02-01-2015, 22:32
or an on-line map at lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti

i-Lan
02-01-2015, 23:59
Thanks everybody. This info is great. Anybody know if these trailheads are a safe place to leave the car for a couple of days?

KimmyWasHere
02-02-2015, 03:18
We left ours at the Cheaha gates entrance last summer with no problems (could be we were the only ones crazy enough to hike in the heat) with no problems. I would recommend doing the Turnip to Turnip loop. Turnipseed campground trailhead to Chinnabee Silent to Skyway Loop to Adams Gap to Turnipseed. :)

Matt65
02-02-2015, 07:27
No trouble parking at the trailheads mentioned. There are many good options available for a ~50 mi hike.

swisscross
02-02-2015, 10:30
We left ours at the Cheaha gates entrance last summer with no problems (could be we were the only ones crazy enough to hike in the heat) with no problems. I would recommend doing the Turnip to Turnip loop. Turnipseed campground trailhead to Chinnabee Silent to Skyway Loop to Adams Gap to Turnipseed. :)

This is a great loop but it is only 17 miles. Turnipseed to Adams gap is only 7 miles.
Adams Gap to Cheaha trail head is around 11 miles, straight line, no loop.

Hmmm.
There are a bunch of good loops in Cheaha State Park for the first day.
I would suggest taking advantage of your sister in law and moving your car a predetermined finish.

With sister I would do one of the following.

Head up the Odum Scout trail, hang a right (north) on the Pinhoti ending at Cheaha trailhead - OR -
Start at Adams and hike up to Cheaha trailhead. (this is a much more difficult hike as you will be going up the stairway to heaven section.
W/o sister, continue on the Pinhoti (north) starting at Cheaha trailhead and do sections 7, 8 and 9 ending at Horseblock (this would be around 41 miles).

Sure there will be other suggestions also.

Matt65
02-02-2015, 16:55
This is a map that I like use on the Cheaha area loop hikes.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/02/cc390aefec9acf06bd6d1e91b3a1d65a.jpg

golfjhm
02-03-2015, 00:34
Also don't plan on camping around lake chinnabee - it is closed to overnight camping after some flooding a year or so back.