PDA

View Full Version : Pack question for gear experts...

4shot
02-01-2015, 16:26
I have been casually browsing for a new pack on line. I am a fan of Osprey but am flexible. I keep seeing a brand call Arc'Teryx (sp?). I have logged many miles on the AT over several years and have not seen this brand iirc. Usually see the typical names..ULA, Osprey, REI, Gregory, Mystic Ranch, Dueter,etc. However (and what prompted this ?) this brand is very, very expensive relative to the others mentioned. Anyone own one? Or know what makes them so $$$? Just curious (as i will probably just stick to what works well for me). TIA.

map man
02-01-2015, 18:42
I don't own any Arc'teryx gear and I have noticed over the years that their clothing is also expensive. I have formed the impression that the brand aspires to be like Patagonia or the The North Face -- a brand that charges a lot to appeal to a costumer who wants to sport the "right" gear and is willing to spend to have that "right" label be seen by others.

Now I happen to own a Patagonia insulated jacket that I got a decade ago in a discontinued color for 50% off, and I am very fond of it and it's been well worth what I paid for it. So I know that brands like these sometimes do have stuff of such a quality that they are worth paying extra for -- it's just that most of the time you can do just as well for less money.

Sirsnappy09
02-01-2015, 23:28
Arcteryx is a Canadian company that makes heavy duty gear. Their packs are load haulers and pretty heavy. While I am not a fan they do make some quality stuff. They also have a law enforcement and armed forces division. Not really straight on backpacking g gear.

300winmag
02-07-2015, 23:58
I just got an Osprey EXOS 58 to replace my aging REI Cruise UL 60 (which I posted for sale).
The EXOS 58 is the most comfortable light pack I've ever found. And its innovative back mesh trampoline is very cool in summer.

It's hard to beat Osprey's comfort. To me, a geezer, comfort on the trail and at camp is my goal.

swjohnsey
02-08-2015, 00:03
If you want gear made in China buy Osprey, REI, Gregory, Deuter, etc. If you want gear made in the USA buy ULA, Zpack, Gossimar Gear, etc.

OwenM
02-08-2015, 11:11
Arc'teryx makes high quality gear. Their clothing is well designed, some having unique features, and use premium materials, so you're paying for all that plus the "designer" brand name.
Their packs have some "different" features, too, which vary depending on the model. I've tried them all on, and they're well made, but don't have the features I want(not very light, either!), while having features that I don't care for, so they're a no-go for me.

If you want gear made in China buy Osprey, REI, Gregory, Deuter, etc. If you want gear made in the USA buy ULA, Zpack, Gossimar Gear, etc.
Osprey and Deuter aren't made in China. Not all Gregory packs are, either, and all three are typically of good quality and solid reputation.
REI lists theirs as "imported", but the country of manufacture probably varies, since they have a wide product range.

swjohnsey
02-08-2015, 11:21
O.K. Vietnam.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2015, 11:51
Despite whatever the website claims, I believe Gossamer Gear packs are being made in Mexico, at least they were a couple yrs ago.

spidey
02-08-2015, 12:04
Despite whatever the website claims, I believe Gossamer Gear packs are being made in Mexico, at least they were a couple yrs ago.

Yes no longer made here but in Mexico....

Connie
02-08-2015, 12:10
HMG and ZPacks are made here.

I think they are the only source of cuben backpacks.

Their backpacks are lightweight backpacks.

I have a HMG Black Summit w/accessory pocket. If HMG makes a 40 liter, with the same features, I would be right there to purchase it. I have seen only praise for the load handling of their Porter and their Ice Pack.

The ZPacks Arc Blast is intriguing. It seems quite a few long distance hikers have the Arc Blast backpack. If I got one, I would want s-curve shoulder straps and load-lifters that will hold it in closer to the top of my shoulders.

Wolf - 23000
02-08-2015, 12:26
4shot,

I owe two Arc'Teryx packs. Both were used for extreme hiking trips. One I used when I did the state of Maine in the winter solo, and the second I used going up Denali, AK.

On a average backpacking trip like the AT, I would not recommend either. They are great packs but really an over kill if you like to keep your pack lightweight like myself. Some of their pluses include the larger zippers which is nice when your hands are frozen, and your pack not freezing with a layer of ice. It also handled heavy loads extremely well. After resupplying during my Maine trip, my pack went up to 45 pounds without me noticing it.

It is a nice pack if your into carrying heavy loads.

Wolf

kevperro
03-01-2015, 01:30
Love my ULA packs. See no reason to go elsewhere. Made in the USA, incredible customer service and incredible product. It is about the only gear category where I don't look at other brands anymore. I've strayed in the past but come back to ULA.

brancher
03-01-2015, 08:58
Love my ULA packs. See no reason to go elsewhere. Made in the USA, incredible customer service and incredible product. It is about the only gear category where I don't look at other brands anymore. I've strayed in the past but come back to ULA.

What he said. Also, Lots of option from ULA and their product is reasonably priced.

4shot
03-01-2015, 09:24
What he said. Also, Lots of option from ULA and their product is reasonably priced.

No doubt they are great packs as you and kevperro suggest. That is why you see so many of them on the trail. The missing feature for me (anyways) on the ULA pack is the lid or "brain" compartment. I like having my snacks, map, TP, knife and all the other small little doodads you need during the day where I can get to them easily without rooting through my pack. Been packing the same way for so long that I don't want to change.