PDA

View Full Version : "UL" solo shelter recommendations.

tuswm
02-01-2015, 18:19
I have searched but I want some cottage industry recommendations, and I know some of us love to give recommendations. I have some other cottage gear and love it all. I was taking a look at the TartTent ProTrail. 27 oz and $209.

I use trekking poles.
I want a floor, that is a requirement.
I prefer to stuff a tent, its faster.
no super slim tents, I sleep on my side and like to take things in to my tent at night. I would also like to be able to cook in the vestibule, so a large enough vestibule to cook and Enough head room to sit Indian style.
I have always wanted a cuben tent but I dont know if I can afford one.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

handlebar
02-01-2015, 18:51
Zpacks hexamid solo + would serve your purposes with cuben ground sheet. There is an advantage to having the ground sheet separate in that it can be used without the tent in shelters or under the stars. It's cuben though, so rather pricey.

July
02-01-2015, 20:51
Tarptent would also meet your requirements, also alot less dollars than the cf gear.

CarlZ993
02-01-2015, 21:04
Zpacks hexamid solo + would serve your purposes with cuben crown sheet. There is an advantage to having the ground sheet separate in that it can be used without the tent in shelters or under the stares. It's cuben though, so rather pricey.
+1. This would fit if your wallet will support the price.

Praha4
02-01-2015, 21:10
Zpacks Solplex or Altaplex Tent. Expensive, but very nice.

haileydp
02-02-2015, 01:37
Tarp Tent Moment DW. 5 stars. It's my favorite piece of gear.

Don H
02-02-2015, 07:39
Six Moon Design Lunar Solo meets your requirements.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Lyle
02-02-2015, 07:54
I use a Z-packs Hexamid Solo Plus and love it! 7 Oz.

That said, you should seriously look at the new Deschutes tarp from Six Moon Design. $165 and 13 oz in silnylon. Also sell in CF if you would like to save some weight, loose some more money.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/87-deschutes.html

Add to that their Serenity Net Tent, $120 ($150) and 13 oz (14 oz) for one (two) man inner tent.

The combination would give you GREAT versatility and I assume great protection. Should also click all of your boxes. I have a Wild Oasis from Six Moon and it is also great, but no floor.

bigcranky
02-02-2015, 07:57
We've owned several Tarptents, a Six Moons Designs shelter, and now a Zpacks. All are well made shelters and will do what you want. I have come to prefer to have the door on one of the long sides, like the Moment, rather than the head end like the Contrail.

If I were buying a solo shelter right now, and wanted to keep the cost to a reasonable amount, I would get the Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, plenty of room inside for a 25-inch pad and the rest of an ultralighter's gear. (Pack and shoes in the vestibule.)

If cost were no object, the Zpacks Hexamid Twin is a little lighter and has a lot of room inside.

rocketsocks
02-02-2015, 09:01
We've owned several Tarptents, a Six Moons Designs shelter, and now a Zpacks. All are well made shelters and will do what you want. I have come to prefer to have the door on one of the long sides, like the Moment, rather than the head end like the Contrail.

If I were buying a solo shelter right now, and wanted to keep the cost to a reasonable amount, I would get the Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, plenty of room inside for a 25-inch pad and the rest of an ultralighter's gear. (Pack and shoes in the vestibule.)

If cost were no object, the Zpacks Hexamid Twin is a little lighter and has a lot of room inside.
That would be my pick as well...the Notch. Gear on one side, cook in the other, affordable, and lightweight.

Damn Yankee
02-02-2015, 09:10
Solong
Yama Mountain Gear
Nemo

garlic08
02-02-2015, 09:10
Last season I wore out a Tarptent Contrail, my favorite of all time so far. I looked at the newer models mentioned above, but stayed with the Contrail for several reasons, one of them being the price at $200. I like the four-stake pitch, though it takes a few weeks to get it perfect every time. I like not having any sectional poles--one less thing to break/lose. For rugged simplicity and all-around utility, it's hard to beat. It's been on Henry's product list for a long time and there's a reason for that.

RED-DOG
02-02-2015, 09:45
I reccomend you lokk at Yama Mountain Gear i have a cirriform 1 person and i love it, it's light, easy to set up, packs super good, I have no complaints what so ever, the service is awesome and very knowlegable people so check them out at Yama Mountain Gear.com

Starchild
02-02-2015, 09:54
Zpacks hexamid solo + would serve your purposes with cuben crown sheet. There is an advantage to having the ground sheet separate in that it can be used without the tent in shelters or under the stares. It's cuben though, so rather pricey.

+1 (or what is the count up to)

This thing is really a functional minimalist work of art, I though that many times on my thru. Works very well and just gives you enough room for all your needs. Everything fits inside, and you can cook in the vestibule and I did many times. I even was able to get a second person inside, as long as you don't mind getting cozy, which we didn't mind.

I also like that it uses one trekking pole instead of two for the reason that if you break one you still have no problem setting up the shelter.

But with that said it is a very minimalist design, with enough room, but 'just enough' room in many respects. You will need to get used to having the sloping walls very close to your head, and getting used to tucking your head into either that bottom side or the top of the tent area. Your position laying down or sitting up must be in a very defined area.

Deadeye
02-02-2015, 17:45
Tarp tent rainbow gets my vote

colorado_rob
02-02-2015, 17:58
Is 2 pounds 10 ounces (the TT rainbow) considered "UL" these days? I would hope not.

+1 on the zpacks Hexamid solo+, 16.0 ounces including guy lines and a gossamer gear polycro groundsheet (lighter and much cheaper ($12 for a two-pack) than the cuben sheet zpack sells). $395 with extended beak for the solo+ My wife and I have shared mine, though it really is a one-person tent.

jawnzee
02-02-2015, 20:39
hexamid solo plus is definitely my tent of choice. would go for the solo without the plus, but i'm 6'4" with size 14 feet. i don't use a trekking pole so i just grab a stick towards the end of the day to set it up. i just use the trusty polycryo groundsheet and 6 stakes for the main tie out points. i bought mine with the beak but i don't think it is necessary. when mine bites the dust i'll be buying a new one without the beak. $330 + $5 polycryo groundsheet makes it a very affordable option, and it is as light as you can get for a fully enclosed shelter.

tuswm
02-02-2015, 22:23
I am doing the JMT this summer. There are places on the trail where if you forget you food you can just take off your head net. on that trail a full enclosed tent is a requirement.. so no tarps. also I think 200 is preferred but about 300$ would be tops.

That being said the 3 brands I have been looking at are TarpTent, LightHeart, and SMD.

I just took a look at the notch video. I had no idea you could set up just the net. but it has WAY less floor space than the other models.

Coffee
02-02-2015, 22:53
Hexamid Twin. More space than the Solo Plus for very little additional weight.

Busky2
02-03-2015, 09:58
+1 for the Six Moon Designs.....the Lunar Solo with a tyveck footprint, Ti stakes, and a stuff sack is still just less than 2lbs. with a bathtub floor and long side entry with vestibule I really like it.

canoe
02-03-2015, 11:34
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/103597-What-ultra-lite-tent-shelter-are-you-using/page4 This might help too

tuswm
02-03-2015, 20:46
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/103597-What-ultra-lite-tent-shelter-are-you-using/page4 This might help too

Why is no one Talking about the light heart solo. Same weight as the notch, cheaper, twice the floor area? Anyone here ever used one?

pafarmboy
02-03-2015, 22:21
+1 On Lightheart cuben solo. Mine with awning weighs in at 20 ounces.... course I don't see cuben listed on her site anymore. She quit making them in cuben?

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solo-tents/solo-awning

Colter
02-03-2015, 23:34
For the AT I like the Lunar Solo. Good floor, roomy for one guy, bug netting, vestibule, good value, and the fly extends well beyond the floor.

LogHiking
02-04-2015, 12:17
I think Tarptent is going to sell a ton of those pro trails. The price point, 1.5lb weight all in stakes and guy line included, the more weather able design, apparent ease of set up, and generous floor space is going to meet a lot of peoples requirements. It isn't the lightest shelter out there out there, but with all things considered I think we will see a lot of them on the trails. Until going to cuben it pretty much makes tarp and bivy obsolete for a lot of thru hikers as there is very little weight savings anymore.

tuswm
02-04-2015, 21:03
the light heart SOLO

Use: 3 Season
Style: Double Wall
Sleeps: 1+
Weight: 27 oz before seam sealing.
Head Room: 43 in.
Pockets: 1
Doors: 1
Floor Area: 30 Sq. Ft.
Vestibule: 3.75 Sq. Ft.
Floor Dimensions: L - 133in. W - 65 in.
Material: 1.1 oz/sq yd sil-nylon
Pole Length: 125 - 130 cm

Sleeps
Weight (oz/kg)
Floor Width (in/cm)
Floor Length (in/cm)
Floor Area
(ft2/m2)
Interior Height (in/cm)
Stakes (included)
Packed Size (in/cm)
Price

1+
26/0.74
42/ 107
84/ 213
21/ 1.9
45/ 114
4 x 6 in/ 15cm
12 x 4 / 30 x 10
$209

tuswm
02-04-2015, 21:17
light heart solo vs the Tarp Tent ProTrail.......

+20 oz
+9 feet floor
+$35
+ side entry

They both look great!

Don H
02-05-2015, 11:00
The SMD Lunar Solo is 3 oz. lighter, $30 cheaper, has 5" more head room, and has over twice the vestibule space (enough for your pack and boots) than the LightHeart Solo. SMD Solo also has a 6" high bathtub floor.

LightHeart Solo is double walled where the SMD Solo is single walled.

q-tip
02-05-2015, 11:48
I have the TT Contrail, 1,100+ miles. Best of my five tents. I love that tent. Price performance weight hard to beat.

wilsonnickp
02-05-2015, 11:58
For what its worth, I own a TarpTent Rainbow and a Z packs cuben rectangle tarp. I absolutely love both. The ease of setup in the rainbow is incredible. I haven't gotten to use the tarp much yet (and I didn't have to pay full price for it: help from a company I used to work with), but the weight and pack down size are tough to beat. I carry a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and thrown the tarp in the mesh pocket. It's awesome. I could easily sleep 2 plus under it. Takes some practice setting up, but its not bad once you get used to it. Plus, the versatility is great. With the Tarptent being as light as it is, I can still see myself using it for some circumstances. Maybe if bad weather or snow or bugs is a definite on a short trip or something. Can't go wrong with either. Both are great.

wilsonnickp
02-05-2015, 16:31
Edit to above post: Brainlapse... I have the Hyperlight Mountain Gear 8x10 tarp, not the ZPacks.

hikeandbike5
02-06-2015, 01:55
I have the TT Contrail, 1,100+ miles. Best of my five tents. I love that tent. Price performance weight hard to beat.
sadly not made anymore.

Connie
02-06-2015, 09:29
Tarptent Contrail

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

LogHiking
02-06-2015, 16:04
sadly not made anymore.

I believe its replacement is considered an improvement in nearly every way, so not so sad :) Look up the tarptent protrail.

Franco
02-06-2015, 16:50
The ProTrail is the latest version of the original Tarptent Henry Shires made for himself in 1999 to do the PCT.
The one that came onto the market was called Virga, to become Virga II in 2003 , changed end in 2006 to be called Contrail and now going back to the traditional a frame as the ProTrail.
franco@tarptent

Allshookup
02-07-2015, 12:07
I found this little number on Aliexprerss UL Black Hawk 1-2 person tent, 680gm / 24oz / 1.5lb.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-hawk-limit-ultra-light-680-double-layer-parallel-chord-1-2-gauze-tent/1686424224.html

29856 29857 29858 29859

Looks interesting... It can be found from various sellers ranging from $78-$100 including shipping.
It comes in Army Green, Khaki & Orange

Specifications:Two layer ultra-light weight tent, suitable for 1-2 persons

Outside tent: 15 D siliconized nylon,waterproof index PU 1500mm
Inside tent : 20 D siliconized nylon of the bottom,waterproof index PU 3000mm
Color: army green, khaki, orange
Size: 200*130*80*105 cm /78.8*51.22*31.52*41.37 inch (length*front width*back width*height)
Package : 7 pieces tent tail,2 pieces waterproof rope,1 storage bag
Net weight : about 0.78 kg (the orange one is a little more weight)

LuckyMan
02-07-2015, 12:10
TarpTent Notch has worked well for me on about 700 miles of trails so far.

Praha4
02-07-2015, 20:37
Red Dog: thanks for that tip, I had never heard of Yama Mtn Gear before. I'm looking over their gear now at their website, and they look pretty good.
Do you have the Cirriform SW or tarp?
0.5 oz fly & 1.0 oz. floor Cuben version?

It looks a lot like Henry Shire's new ProTrail Tarptent.

I reccomend you lokk at Yama Mountain Gear i have a cirriform 1 person and i love it, it's light, easy to set up, packs super good, I have no complaints what so ever, the service is awesome and very knowlegable people so check them out at Yama Mountain Gear.com

Walkintom
02-11-2015, 16:24
I really like the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's a 2 person tent, has double side entries and vestibules. It's a bit more than a single person needs, even with stowing all my gear inside at times but I enjoy a little trail luxury. I say get more room than you absolutely need and enjoy the extra space.

tuswm
03-01-2015, 20:35
I really like the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's a 2 person tent, has double side entries and vestibules. It's a bit more than a single person needs, even with stowing all my gear inside at times but I enjoy a little trail luxury. I say get more room than you absolutely need and enjoy the extra space.
I take this when I take the wife! I have it and love it.

I has stood up to crazy storms that damaged REI 2 person 5# dome tents.

semicolon
03-01-2015, 21:00
I am digging my SMD skyscape x. It has all the features you mentioned. ... except the price point.
Dual entry, bathtub floor, great vestibules, 42" headroom, bug protection, stuffs into the size of a potato chip bag... 16 oz.