PDA

View Full Version : Road to Nowhere

tiamalle
10-30-2005, 23:26
I've heard a little on both sides of this new road issue.Some says may be going right where 2 miles of the A T is now on the north side of the damnat Fontana,NC.I hear there is a part of the natives there who has a cemetaryon the other side that the road was washed out in the past and the only way to visit those grave sites is by helicopter or a boat.Do any of you have any information you can share with us on this issues?

Lone Wolf
10-31-2005, 00:18
I say hitch and see what happens. Dime a dozen

ed bell
10-31-2005, 00:34
Are you saying that they are planning a road on the North end of the dam? I am aware of the fact that many cemetary plots were cut off from road access by the creation of Lake Fontana. The government provides access to cemetaries that are no longer accessable by road.

smokymtnsteve
10-31-2005, 00:44
http://www.greatsmokies.com/roadnowhere.html

also read "Strangers in High Places"

by Michael Frome

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 00:51
I got a letter in the mail a week or so back from a hiker organization asking for a donation to stop this project and I read the letter.But a year or so agoI saw a little script on WLOS Asheville,NC's ABC television station saying there was a heated issue between congress and these people in this areaabout not having access to the cemetary.I don't mind to financially help hikergroups any way I can,but I really don't understand the whole issue.I think it's only fair for people to have access to their family cemetaries also.This iswhy I started this thread to try to learn a little more about it.And may be toinform others about it.I only live about 60 miles south of the damn in FranklinNC but we don't hear much news about that area on local tv or radio.

smokymtnsteve
10-31-2005, 00:56
reading dr frome's book will give you some great background into the issue.

also there have been and still are groups and plans advocating for another trans mtn road on the western end of the park.

smokymtnsteve
10-31-2005, 01:03
some background

http://www.esper.com/smhc/wa/#THE%20NORTH%20SHORE%20ROAD%20PROPOSAL%20:%20UNRES OLVED%20ISSUE%20AND%20A%20MAJOR%20THREAT%20TO%20SM OKY%20MOUNTAINS%20NATIONAL%20PARK

smokymtnsteve
10-31-2005, 01:05
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hih/great_smoky_mtns/great_smoky_mtns7.htm

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 02:14
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hih/great_smoky_mtns/great_smoky_mtns7.htm
thanks for this info Steve

Peaks
10-31-2005, 08:29
I've heard a little on both sides of this new road issue.Some says may be going right where 2 miles of the A T is now on the north side of the damnat Fontana,NC.I hear there is a part of the natives there who has a cemetaryon the other side that the road was washed out in the past and the only way to visit those grave sites is by helicopter or a boat.Do any of you have any information you can share with us on this issues?

Another source of information is the current issue of ATC Journeys magazine.

Rain Man
10-31-2005, 10:06
...but I really don't understand the whole issue.I think it's only fair for people to have access to their family cemetaries also.....

Tiamalle, I think you might (as you admit) not understand the whole issue, based on the premise you stated of "it's only fair for people to have access to their family cemetaries."

So far as I can tell, there are VERY FEW people wanting access to cemetaries. So, I think the premise is like one in the question "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" The underlying premise is false. Mostly there is a politically-connected road builder wanting to make huge profits doing what they do,-- constructing roads on government welfare, come hell or high water.

There are old family cemetaries all over this Nation. Should Congress provide money for paved roads to each and every one? I don't think so. Especially not in national parks. That's my premise. The local county government doesn't even want the road built.

Rain:sunMan

sliderule
10-31-2005, 11:50
More interesting reading:
http://www.northshoreroad.info/

CynJ
10-31-2005, 12:45
Here's a link from the ATC's website- has a nice map

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1072245/k.A006/North_Shore_Road.htm

Joey
10-31-2005, 14:35
The environmental impact where this raod is proposed to go would destroy some of the most pristine plant groups and hurt some of the finest trout streams on the east coast. ANother problem will be the amount of traffic (RV's campers, tourist, etc) that will cause a great problem as it has already in Cades Cove and Cattaloochie Valley. There have been a few public hearings this year and one almost turned into a fight in Knoxville. A majority of the people in Swain COunty along with the Swain County Government want to take the cash settlement offer that was proposed a couple of years ago, while a few still want the road. There are also other proposals for construction in which some only go a few more miles into the wilderness and stop short of Hazel Creek and Eagle Creek. I personally hope that this will not happen and the cash settlement is taken. This is going to be one of the toughest enviromental battles we've seen in a while I'm afraid.

Goon
10-31-2005, 15:19
From reading the articles in the last ATC magazine it sounds like there is also some expectation by locals that if the road is built it would increase the money brought into that area because Fontana would be another "gateway" into the park. (like Gatlinburg)

Joey
10-31-2005, 16:33
The last thing the Great Smokies needs!! Another gateway and another Gatlinburg.

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 16:40
Looks like maybe they could put in a bridge or something.But in the westernNC mountians property is souring in value.Here a 1/2 acre of land is selling from $40,000 cheap to the sky as the limit.Not many people there are localanymore anyway.They are mostly big investers.All this area at one time was a nice place to live and raise families.It's beautiful here but now it's very very expensive.I personally hate the thought of tearing up the wilderness anywhere.But it makes sense there is a lot that isn't being told.O BTW you knowthat some of the movie the fugitave with Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Fordwas filmed at that damn.The train wreck was at Dillsboro,30 miles away.

Joey
10-31-2005, 17:42
it was Lake Cheoahs Dam where it was filmed. Yes land prices have skyrocketed and will continue the upward trend, however, I have found in some areas that the land prices have yet soared like it has around Maggie Valley, Bryson City, Fontana, etc. You can thank the greedy developers for all of that. They have no concern whatsoever about environment, wilderness, etc. Whats even worse, there is no stopping them at this point!

Sly
10-31-2005, 17:51
I say just move the bodies and save everyone at lot of grief and money along with the environment.

the goat
10-31-2005, 17:54
i think halliburton should have the contract to complete the road construction, they need some more work.:bse

smokymtnsteve
10-31-2005, 17:57
I say just move the bodies and save everyone at lot of grief and money along with the environment.
\

I say leave the bodies where they are and just stop the corpse worship.

grannie is dead and she doesn't care or even know if U visit that hole in the ground...

Spartan Hiker
10-31-2005, 21:28
i think halliburton should have the contract to complete the road construction, they need some more work.:bse

Great idea.

Mr. Clean
11-01-2005, 05:44
As chairman of the small, local cemetery comittee in Kennebunkport, Maine, I know that there are many rules regarding cemeteries. We have over 80 of them in this town, some stones going back to the 1600's. All cemeteries must have access, regardless of where they are, but that doesn't mean a road. It doesn't even mean a mown path, one just must be able to have access. We have several out in salt marshes where the only access is by boat/canoe. To think of putting in bridges is a ridiculous idea.

Also, even though we think nobody ever visits these old plots, we will get calls surprisingly fast after we clear one out by descendants of the folk buried there. These plots are also sometimes the only surviving records of peoples lives as they sometimes don't get registered anywhere else.

Leave 'em where they lay, forget the road and do something else with the money.

Mike
11-01-2005, 09:32
Give it 20 years and the graves will be a curriosity for passing hikers and the very occasional relative.

But obviously the problem is that the government promised that a road would be built so that these removed landowners could visit their past homes and family graves.

My own opinion is that they should continue to provide ferry and bus rides to the graves as they currently do. And also provide a cash settlement to recompense for the promised road that never was.

It would be too bad if the road to nowhere was ever completed. It is a great reminder that no matter which side of the political isle you are on, we have another monument to the ignorance of our federal govt.

Didn't Jesus say something about considering the cost of building a tower, cause if you run out of cash while you are building it, you will be mocked.

Joey
11-01-2005, 10:25
I understand people wanting to visit the final resting places of their loved ones, but I have family members buried on a mountainside in Canton, NC and access to the small graveyard they are at has been cut off. I asked for permission to just visit but was denied. OH WELL!!! The people who are fighting for the road have been given FREE ferry service at the expense of the National Park to accomodate the families which to me is what they should do. I am however against the road because if any of you on this board ever hiked in this area, you would understand why it would be a tragic loss for the wilderness at the beckoning call of a few poltically motivated whiners. IF any of you can support the effort to stop this road I encourage you to write your representative.

lobster
11-01-2005, 11:53
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Joey,

Go into more detail about your access problem with your family burial plot. Is there a gate? I don't think the owner of the piece of property blocking your access would look too good in the eyes of jurors if you were arrested for trespassing or ramming your vehicle through his/her gate!!!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tha Wookie
11-01-2005, 12:44
I was just up there hiking on the road, on the Benton Mackaye Trail.

Boy talk about a touchy subject there.

Joey
11-01-2005, 14:45
Hey Lobster, the old road that actually went to the top of the mountain goes just right beside the cemetary and there was an area right there where we used to do our yearly "decoration day celebration" when I was a little feller. Now a guy put up a mobile home and tons of No Trespassing signs and has the road blocked about 20 yards from the cemetary. I pulled up in there about 2 years ago and asked if I could go up and visit my great grandparent plots and he said "no" that he did not know me. He also had a damn herd of dogs guarding the place as well. I can access it from the other side of the hill from my distant distant relatives place, but the only thing is these dogs. Dont want to get into a confrontation with dogs and wind up getting hurt or hurting one of the dogs and then windup having a shotgun pulled on me. As far as a jury, that crowd up there is unpredictable. I am going to make some calls to the sheriffs office and see what I can do. I have'nt seen the plots in 30 years.

CynJ
11-01-2005, 15:34
Hey Lobster, the old road that actually went to the top of the mountain goes just right beside the cemetary and there was an area right there where we used to do our yearly "decoration day celebration" when I was a little feller. Now a guy put up a mobile home and tons of No Trespassing signs and has the road blocked about 20 yards from the cemetary. I pulled up in there about 2 years ago and asked if I could go up and visit my great grandparent plots and he said "no" that he did not know me. He also had a damn herd of dogs guarding the place as well. I can access it from the other side of the hill from my distant distant relatives place, but the only thing is these dogs. Dont want to get into a confrontation with dogs and wind up getting hurt or hurting one of the dogs and then windup having a shotgun pulled on me. As far as a jury, that crowd up there is unpredictable. I am going to make some calls to the sheriffs office and see what I can do. I have'nt seen the plots in 30 years.

I would also check with the town hall - see if there is an easement or right-of-way to the cemetary. Seems weird that a town would knowingly landlock a cemetary.

Joey
11-01-2005, 15:46
Just as we are speaking, I just got clearance to the cemetary from one of the relatives that lives on the other side of the hill and the man who told me no was evicted last year and a relative just recently moved up there and moved the mobile home. Its amazing how a little research and a couple of phone calls can be very productive. Thanks to everyone on this topic who helped with the inspiration to get something done. Oh, by the way, the reason the man was evicted was because he made threats to people trying to access the cemetary along with other reasons "unknown". Thanks guys and gals!!

tiamalle
11-01-2005, 23:17
Our congressman from western NC is Rep Charles Taylor from Brevard,NC

Joey
11-02-2005, 23:44
AHHHH Ole "Chainsaw Charlie" I leave it alone form there!!