PDA

View Full Version : Any areas where you could have used some extra encouragement?

gillian
02-03-2015, 12:46
I've had a couple of friends offer to send some care packages and notes while I'm on the trail. I'm mostly thinking these would be for a bit of a lift rather than a resupply - special treats, letters, pictures, etc. Any recommendations for areas on the trail where you really could have used a little encouragement and would have liked to have a mail drop from a friend? Also a bonus if they aren't too far out of the way to pickup. Thanks!

Poedog
02-10-2015, 02:46
Depends on which direction your going.

Lyle
02-10-2015, 08:44
Also, this is truly a very individual thing. No real way to interpolate from another person's experience.

I would say that 80% - 85% of the difficulty of an extended hike is mental/emotional, 10% weather, and only 5% -10% is the trail itself. In other words, virtually impossible to predict where and when your mood may be sour, thus it would be a crap shoot to try and predict what your mood will be at any given place.

Also, a care package is not nearly as effective if you know where it will come and are expecting it. My advice would be to just let fate take it's course and surprise you when it is not expected. Trails have a pretty good way of providing their own rewards and encouragement for those who can manage their mental attitudes.

Last bit of advice: NEVER QUIT ON A BAD DAY!!! Misery always is replaced with joy in a few days, wait until that happens before you change your mind about a hike.

Ok, now all those who disagree and feel a care package could have helped at a particular place will hopefully add their points of view.

Starchild
02-10-2015, 09:13
I had many, this is what I learned:

Send care packages of unknown content to a place that is open every day, preferably 24/7. Don't send to PO unless absolutely needed or you know that you will be there during the days they are open.

Also send it to a place that you can mail ahead (bounce) additional stuff you don't need to carry right now. So a town with a PO. Even if you get there when the PO is closed many places will help you get it in the mail after you leave town.

Logistically it often is the case that you get your resupply before picking up the care package (due to town layout), try to think of that when choosing the location you send.

Let the caregivers know you can only carry a little (I had one person send 4 large boxes of supplies to one location). Let them know that small and thoughtful is better and more helpful. Explain that to them so they understand. You may also want to let them know if they would want to send more then a small package, perhaps they may want to pay for a stay or a meal in town.

Not knowing the contents is generally better then knowing most of the time, let the sender be creative - and let them know this. This sometimes leads to some let down (not helpful items), but often getting items that were more wonderful then you would have requested. The most boring ones were from people who sent exactly what I asked for.

As for giving you a boost. There was really no particular place for that for me, but just distribute it along the trail as evenly as you can. Getting the packages is always exciting, it's like being a child on Christmas morning.

However the logistics of scheduling the care packages from the trail is a bit frustrating. Be cautious of people who miss sending it on time. I had one such person and I suspected it, it's just the way she is. After she missed sending it and she requested another place to drop it, I had her send it to a friend instead who I knew would get it to me. I really didn't have time for her nature, catering it would only drain me (which is her personality and why I knew she would not make it - but I had to give her that first chance).

RED-DOG
02-10-2015, 09:43
yes i had a few of those down days but i didn't have anybody sending me stuff but if i did i would have wanted one in Waynesboro VA, Palmerton PA, Monson ME these are the places i wished i had a pick me up such as a letter from home.

gillian
02-10-2015, 09:50
Thanks, guys; this is really helpful. Some of the stuff that seems intuitive to me (like sending to a place that's open 24/7 or sending small, light items) might not actually be to someone who hasn't been planning a hike like this.

I'm planning to go NOBO. I hear things like Virginia blues and wasn't sure if there were specific places that were more commonly hard on people, but I totally understand it's going to be different for everyone. Thanks again!