PDA

View Full Version : Anyone paired a Klymit sleeping pad with a closed-cell during winter?

Just Tom
02-03-2015, 14:16
The Klymit X-frame and O-zone sleeping pads are made to be able to put inside a sleeping bag (if desired). Has anyone done so in the winter, with a closed-cell pad under the sleeping bag for insulation? I was thinking the Klymit might add comfort to the closed-cell pad, while its location inside the sleeping bag would keep it from being a detriment to sleeping warmth. What do you all think?

LogHiking
02-03-2015, 14:19
The Klymit X-frame and O-zone sleeping pads are made to be able to put inside a sleeping bag (if desired). Has anyone done so in the winter, with a closed-cell pad under the sleeping bag for insulation? I was thinking the Klymit might add comfort to the closed-cell pad, while its location inside the sleeping bag would keep it from being a detriment to sleeping warmth. What do you all think?

I haven't done it, but have experience with the Klymit loft pockets and my experience tells me they do what they say they will do pretty well. I would think it would work reasonably well and is worth a test run for sure.

Another Kevin
02-03-2015, 15:16
I haven't tried the Klymit system, but I use an extra blue foam under my Therm-a-Rest in winter. I'm a believer that in winter, any pad that depends on inflation needs a foam backup, so I'd suggest throwing a closed-cell pad under whatever you're using.

Sirsnappy09
02-03-2015, 16:33
I have done exactly what you're asking. I used my x frame In side my bag with a torso z rest under the bag and my pack under my legs. Weather dipped into the mid 20's and I was plenty warm but I am a pretty warm sleeper. Quit comfy too. I love my klymit pad. Some love em some hate am.

Just Tom
02-03-2015, 18:14
I found the x frame to be too small for my height, but the o zone seems to work better for me. I typically use a z lite on top of a thermarest, but if I can save the space and weight of taking the thermarest I'd like to. Night-time lows are typically around 10 to 20 in these parts in the winter.

Sirsnappy09
02-03-2015, 19:02
I should add that I was in a 30 deg bag and thanks for x frame Tom. :D

Just Tom
02-03-2015, 19:20
I should add that I was in a 30 deg bag and thanks for x frame Tom. :D

Glad it worked out, was meaning to ask...