PDA

View Full Version : Your own tent or share a tent

AndyJ_54
02-03-2015, 14:31
When thru hiking with a partner such as a family member or close friend, do you prefer your own tent or to share a tent (and the load)? For example, I am 6'1" and my grandson is 6'8".

Jake2c
02-03-2015, 15:17
Really a personal choice. If it's an immediate family member then tenting together would be my option but, remember you will probably stink. Right now though I have gone to hammocks. I have one and I got one for my wife. When possible we will set up the tarp to make a shared area but this sort of drives you to sleeping separately.

bigcranky
02-03-2015, 15:29
I share a tent only with someone I am willing to sleep with off the trail. That pretty much limits it to my lovely wife. :) When hiking with others, I carry my own shelter, and all the rest of it. Especially for longer hikes, I find it better to be self-contained.

tarditi
02-03-2015, 15:44
I usually don't share a tent with non immediate family... hammocks are great for that

Damn Yankee
02-03-2015, 15:59
I would only share a tent with a spouse and on occasion a girlfriend. If with a girl friend I would choose separate tents only because you never know what's going to happen on the trail. You may each find someone else, you may hike differently and not hike together at all some days.

peakbagger
02-03-2015, 16:36
Pros - Sharing a tent weighs less and less volume to carry Cons - unless its someone who you are going to stick with for the duration of the hike, don't share a tent as it highly likely that you will not end up with the close friend at the end. Heck some spouses don't even end up together at the end (one drops out and the other keep going).

1azarus
02-03-2015, 17:40
safer to carry two shelters. surprising how often you hear stories of mix-ups leading to pairs... accidentally unpaired at the end of a hiking day.

Furlough
02-03-2015, 19:30
My own tent not shared. More comfortable that way.

Lyle
02-03-2015, 19:54
As light as today's tents are, everyone gets there own unless there is a reason to share. :)

Much more comfortable plus everyone maintains their independence, no worries if you get temporarily separated, either by chance or design.

Sharing a tent with a "buddy" only made sense when tents weighed 4, 5, 6 pounds or more. At least in my opinion.

Connie
02-03-2015, 19:57
There is the consideration you do not hike at the same pace, one wants more town time, like that.

Unless you already know you hike at nearly the same pace and have about the same interests or the differences are easily accomodated, I would think it would be better to have your own shelter. By this means, each can go their own way as you like.

Praha4
02-03-2015, 20:05
separate tents are better, unless husband/wife or twin sisters. Othewise each person gets under the other's skin fast.

Bati
02-03-2015, 20:21
I share with friends, not just family. Of course, I think a lot of it depends on how close you are to your weight limit and someone who's 6 8" can afford to carry more weight. It's also easier to share most tents if you're smaller.
It can be tight at times, but to me, lugging extra weight around is far more annoying. It's also easier to find a campsite if you only have to find place for one tent.

Either way can work if you can take the weight.

AndyJ_54
02-03-2015, 20:45
Great advice from all...it will be separate tents...of course REI and Big Agnes will be happy about that decision. Seeing that I am now under 14lbs for my pack, bag, pad, and tent I think it will all work out...

Feral Bill
02-03-2015, 20:48
I've done it both ways. Depends on who/where/when etc.

MuddyWaters
02-03-2015, 21:26
Immediate family only.

I might make exception for a hot female.

bigcranky
02-03-2015, 21:27
I would only share a tent with a spouse and on occasion a girlfriend.

Your spouse must be very open-minded. :)

Frye
02-03-2015, 22:18
Your spouse must be very open-minded. :)

I'd only share a tent with a girlfriend and on occasion a spouse.

Not mine of course.

AndyJ_54
02-04-2015, 12:37
Immediate family only.

I might make exception for a hot female.

I can see it now...."Hay babe, I need to buy a 2 person tent just in case I meet some hottie that wants to sleep in my tent for 5 months"....this might signal the end of my thru-hike.....

cbg
02-04-2015, 16:20
I use a BA CS2 by myself in the spring, summer & fall (this includes hiking with my wife) but when the temp goes below 25 we share.

HeartFire
02-04-2015, 20:02
I would consider a grandson as immediate family. The issue I see here is both of your heights - your grandson at 6'8" will be pushing the limits of most tents. (although he will fit in a LightHeart Gear SoLong 6. (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents)). I don't think there would be an issue with your grandson of you splitting up on the trail so that you would each need a tent, but with your heights, it may be needed.

squeezebox
02-04-2015, 22:53
What about sharing a sleeping bag with your spouse? I've seen a couple of well designed double bags. I recently asked someone married about keeping the bag clean when you want to do the "wild thing"

AndyJ_54
02-04-2015, 23:05
If I go with one tent I am leaning towards the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3 coming in at 3lb 10oz, or the Seedhouse SL3 that comes in at 3lb 9oz. Split the weight between two hikers and its not bad. Both would handle his height as well as girth, as you can imagine he is a bit wider across the hips and shoulders as well. Got to make the right choice because are plans are to do the PCT the following year....

linus72
02-05-2015, 15:27
when hiking with my wife we share a tent and split the weight which is also a bonus as its a 5lb tent (not bad really for a 2 person at $159!) BUT when solo i have a 3lb solo tent.